This mod only released an hour ago and it's already my favorite SRB2 mod ever by a landslide. Great job on this, holy shit.

I love that the blue crawlas don't give you an ability when you inhale them, but the red crawlas do. It gives a useful distinction between two enemies that are barely any different in regular gameplay. I also find it really creative the way bosses are differently handled since Kirby can't attack them directly without a copy ability; the Greenflower boss's lasers contain stars to inhale, and you can similarly inhale the toxic paint blobs from the Techno Hill boss. That's as far as I've gotten.

One issue though: is there a way for Kirby to get past areas where you have to either spin or hammer the floor (like two rooms in DSZ2) without a copy ability?

This works really nicely! I do agree about the whole monitor deal, but one of the other things I noticed that I haven't been able to get the Ability Roulette to work when I tried messing around in Battle. I'm not sure what caused it, but it's kind of an odd one.
srb20098.png

Just a bit of context for what I mean.

EDIT: Ah wait... I might've figured the problem out. Give me a minute, and I'll edit this again...

EDIT 2: Nevermind. Thought adding things in the wrong order broke it, but I guess it didn't.

EDIT 3 (I'm making a lot of these, aren't I?): For some reason, the Ability Roulette is working for other players in my server, yet isn't for me?? I'm not sure what caused it.

EDIT 4 (Should hopefully be last one for now): Ok so for some dumb reason by Toss Flag key was what was supposed to be my Ring Toss key. Not gonna question it. Forget me thinking it was a bug.

Last edited:
Nothin' like waking up to your childhood in your favorite game.
Epic. Or as kirby says it, "Poyo!"

Words cannot describe how absolutely shocked I am. Good work.

that sms ability though

Last edited:
This mod only released an hour ago and it's already my favorite SRB2 mod ever by a landslide. Great job on this, holy shit.

I love that the blue crawlas don't give you an ability when you inhale them, but the red crawlas do. It gives a useful distinction between two enemies that are barely any different in regular gameplay. I also find it really creative the way bosses are differently handled since Kirby can't attack them directly without a copy ability; the Greenflower boss's lasers contain stars to inhale, and you can similarly inhale the toxic paint blobs from the Techno Hill boss. That's as far as I've gotten.

One issue though: is there a way for Kirby to get past areas where you have to either spin or hammer the floor (like two rooms in DSZ2) without a copy ability?

If Kirby could inhale stationary gargoyles, this problem may be solved. But the big ones may be too big for him to inhale. The only workaround is maybe inhale pushing the big one towards you, and somehow crushing the floor, but that doesn't sound POSSIBLE to code. The next one is kirby's inhale working like spindashing on the spin thing. The next solution is just get the devs to remake dsz2.

A noclipping glitch related to Silver & Kirby

For whatever reason, a Silver player grabbed Kirby, and when he swallowed the one that grabbed him, the game still thinks that the grabbed player is within Kirby, thereby making him act as if he's noclipping through the level. This is what happened after Kirby swallowed said player (Gif is below the message):

Attachments

• srb20006.gif
    5 MB · Views: 514
Oh my god this was one of my most awaited character to come in!

Also I forgot it was the anniversary of the franchise already.

I love how this changes the way you think about enemies throughout the game. I was having loads of fun just going through the game and seeing what everything was gonna give me.

The giant list of characters with special interactions was also a nice touch.

In my opinion, Kirby should be able to break destructable walls with his exhale and slide, as well as certain abilities
LaVPWjV

Attachments

• srb20038.gif
    4.7 MB · Views: 389
This is great! It seems like we get one of these Kirby projects every couple of years or so, and every time I see it come back, there's more polish on the concept than last time.

The spritework this time around is definitely the highlight. I appreciate the direction gone using the classic artstyle, and I think it makes logical sense considering that there are no ability hats and that the abilities themselves are more or less based on their Kirby Adventure iterations.

The abilities themselves are all pretty fun, with probably sword, bomb, and ball being my favorites.

Some various minor critiques based on what I've observed while playing:

- It would be kinda neat if Kirby could inhale rings
- Kirby's height is so small that this causes some gameplay irregularities. It seems like it would make more sense to raise Kirby's default height, but to reduce it again when Kirby is sliding so that he can slide under crevaces.
- missed opportunity to make eggman monitors grant Kirby the sleep ability
- while in tornado, both Spin and Jump should make Kirby rise. (it is more intuitive for some players to use the jump button to rise)
- Fireball feels like it ought to maintain Kirby's z position, as this is more in line with the ability's mechanics in Kirby's games. Also, it might feel a little better to use if Kirby could slightly adjust the horizontal trajectory while in motion
- Poor volume balance of SFX (Try messing around with the Normalize function in Audacity)
- The spit projectile seems a bit fast! It actually makes it harder to aim, because I'm expecting to have to lead my shots more than I actually must.
- Golden monitors do not reward Kirby with abilities
- Red Crawlas granting wheel and Blue Crawlas granting nothing is a nice touch, but it's kind of weird that you didn't do the same for other enemies with type variants (all spring shells grant ball, red buzzes don't grant anything)
- Bombs not destroying certain bustable walls but wheel being able to feels like an oversight
- Dust particles when running are a bit distracting. Maybe reduce scale or opacity?
- It might be more accurate to the source to make the ability star disappear on contact with spike damage floors
- Kirby does not slow down when flying, and I think this gives him too much power to cheese level design without losing time.
- Lost opportunity to give the Canarivore the Ice copy ability
- The abrupt end of Fang and Metal Sonic's fights when Kirby inhales them really busted my sides. I will say though, that in Kirby's game canon, there are some enemies of Kirby's height (like Meta Knight) who can't be inhaled. So if you wanted to go that route for Metal, you can!
- Tornado would be slightly more interesting (and more accurate to the source) if it forced a certain amount of horizontal thrust on its user while active.
- Fireball might feel a little bit better to use if it reacted to colliding with walls, a la Kirby's Adventure.

One last thing I want to point out is that there is a lack of consistency in how certain abilities are aimed. For example, the core spit ability is aimed using the player's mo.angle and vertical aim, whereas bomb cannot be aimed vertically. Fireball is aimed with mo.angle but wheel applies its initial thrust in the direction of player.drawangle. I think the mod would benefit from making it so that all abilities' initial thrusts and projectile shots are aimed via mo.angle and none of them can be aimed with vertical mouselook; this is so that the rules for controlling Kirby are consistent and the player doesn't suffer from muscle memory whiplash when changing abilities. Wheel would likely control best by applying the initial thrust in the direction of mo.angle, then determining all consecutive movements via movement input.

All in all though, this is really good stuff. I can't imagine that a character with as much breadth as Kirby has is easy to maintain, so I always respect when modders go out of their way to undertake a project of this scale. Definitely the best iteration of the character I've seen yet. Nice work!

Last edited:
now that we got the pink puff ball in the game....

how about the rest of the cast? maybe Gooey, for a start?

Hey, didn't this guy get rejected from submissions back in 2.1? Its nice to see him back from that ssg3 video. I'll try him out later

After beating the main campaign with Kirby, i have to say, this is one of the most fun characters i've tried so far. I love each and every ability he has to offer (Specially Wheel and Fireball, those two were my favorites, lol).

What Kirby as a character has as one of its strenghts, is that he can have this big catalog of fun and wacky powers without being too complex, so instead of having to memorize multiple moves you can just pick whatever you like the most or what's more convenient for you at the moment and roll with it.

Overall, i think Kirby is a good fit for SRB2, even though Egg Rock was kind of a pain as a whole, but you can literally just eat most projectiles bosses throw at you (or eat the bosses themselves) so i guess that balances it out.

I'm not sure what to say about this mod that's "not that good" aside of what people already said, but yeah, the monitors should give you their stuff when you eat them. Also, this is just an idea, but what if Kirby could inhale nearby rings? Anyways, Kirby is a very solid character.

Also a tip... even though most probably already figured it out, if you exhale (mid-air spin) every time you double jump, you'll reach a further distance, this can also be enhanced by Tornado or Fireball.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back