Brak Eggman (last boss)

Brak Eggman (last boss) is ugly and looks like a cheap sprite rip from some other game. It doesn't fit at all with the rest of the sprite work in the game, he doesn't have enough walking sprites for a decent animation, and overall the whole fight feels like a placeholder when compared to the quality of the rest of the game.

So is a better boss and stage in the works or is this massive disapointment gonna really be the end of the game?

Pfft, chill out, chill out! ERZ hasn't been changed any since 2.1 [well aside from a re-render], but I expect things to be altered a huge amount in the next version. You should try fighting 2.0 brak if you think this version is bad, ehhheheheheh

Spriting something as massive as brak takes serious time, though, and the focus for 2.2 wasn't even meant to extend to RVZ so I'm not surprised his sprites were left the as renders. I agree that brak is pretty cursed, but juuuust wait and see, alright!?

I dunno, the fight itself feels fine to me. Final bosses in the 2D Sonic games were never terribly complex, elaborate affairs either. He's quite challenging and requires good reflexes. I think he's fine gameplay-wise.

Brak Eggman (last boss) is ugly and looks like a cheap sprite rip from some other game. It doesn't fit at all with the rest of the sprite work in the game, he doesn't have enough walking sprites for a decent animation, and overall the whole fight feels like a placeholder when compared to the quality of the rest of the game.

So is a better boss and stage in the works or is this massive disapointment gonna really be the end of the game?

I think it's a 3D model that's been converted to sprites. Knuckles used to be like that too way back when, and he looked way worse than Brak. That was before 2.0, when GFZ, THZ, and CEZ were the only zones in the game.

I'm hoping he eventually gets a proper sprite treatment whether or not the level itself is redesigned. I'm not sure who's all active and who all drifted/retired, but I remember there being several talented spriters on the dev team and I love what they've done with the badniks across the other levels, and would like to see more.

I dunno, the fight itself feels fine to me. Final bosses in the 2D Sonic games were never terribly complex, elaborate affairs either. He's quite challenging and requires good reflexes. I think he's fine gameplay-wise.

I'd say his only actual problem is that he relies on doom-based walk cycles, which can be very dumb when attempting to lead him to the lava

Bit much, ain't it?

Black Eggman DOES need new sprites but the fight itself, other than the issue CobaltBW mentioned, can be left untouched. It's incredibly fun, IMO, and the new post-battle scene really makes it all the more hype.

It was a cool scene, but I didn't understand what was happening at first. I felt so stupid because I expected the old phase 2 from 2.0 to start (all I remembered was something about steering missiles around) and so I perched somewhere in the middle of the stage and waited around forever for the floor to turn into a pit.

The sprites are passable, but tbh, I'm not looking at every pixel in the middle of battle.

Minus the awkward little dance you have to do remove his shield because of his angular walks, I wouldn't change much about this boss. The new music and ending make it so much better than 2.1, I'd leave it as is.

He's not gonna stay as the final boss of the game, no. The plans that I have heard so far had him being moved to Dark City Zone, probably as something of a reference to the OVA. Which I really really hope in some fashion he acquires the cape that transforms into giant devil wings in his eventual resprite, by the way, that's just too wicked to leave out

It was a cool scene, but I didn't understand what was happening at first. I felt so stupid because I expected the old phase 2 from 2.0 to start (all I remembered was something about steering missiles around) and so I perched somewhere in the middle of the stage and waited around forever for the floor to turn into a pit.

Heh. Honestly not gonna lie, that would be a cool Phase 2. Even if it's old and outdated, I would love to see 2.0 Brak to come back in some way. As tedious and confusing the old boss was at first, getting the hang of it made it a really fun fight. Especially flying around and avoiding the glue.

Llitechiel ꙮ;811671 said:
He's not gonna stay as the final boss of the game, no. The plans that I have heard so far had him being moved to Dark City Zone, probably as something of a reference to the OVA. Which I really really hope in some fashion he acquires the cape that transforms into giant devil wings in his eventual resprite, by the way, that's just too wicked to leave out

They ARE bringing Dark City Zone into the game after all? That'd be interesting, city levels are always the best .

Of course I don't mind if he gets new sprites, is moved to a different act, or has an extra act added onto him. I'm just hoping the boss' main gameplay stays. This is the one boss where all attacks are useful. You're encouraged to NOT slowly drift into him with a jump and keep up speed to avoid retaliation. Even rolling is useful here.

We haven't actually settled on what we wanna do with Brak yet. There are a few ideas floating around, but nothing concrete.

Also getting new Brak sprites has been on the to-do list for years. Steps are being taken to rectify that, but the person running that project was a little busy doing the title screen and credits art that you all love. :P

Also getting new Brak sprites has been on the to-do list for years. Steps are being taken to rectify that, but the person running that project was a little busy doing the title screen and credits art that you all love. :P

Alice is working on new Brak sprites? This should be really good then!

latest

latest

latest

Man the Sonic OVA ruled so hard.
The old 2.0 sprite that they’re still using definitely hasn’t aged well. It can also be pretty janky to hit him once he speeds up because his wall cycle has so few frames so it can seem like he’s “skipping” from one place to another. Getting him to walk into the lava also has a bit of randomness to it that can be a big pain in time attack

I think there is an actual reason why the walk cycle is kinda goofy looking? Something to do with the original Cyber Demon from Doom? If anyone wants to confirm, please by all means.

I think there is an actual reason why the walk cycle is kinda goofy looking? Something to do with the original Cyber Demon from Doom? If anyone wants to confirm, please by all means.

Well, his object name is MT_CYBRAKDEMON, if that's enough confirmation.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back