Fix the joystick controls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a short video demonstration as to why making Sonic, Tails and Knuckles' double A-press abilities lock TOWARDS the point of view is a terrible idea.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/N1OoakZUHbiV/

Do you see how much trouble this is to people who uses the controller? You effectively made the game virtually worthless by breaking something that wasn't even broken in the first place. The fact that the characters thok/fly/glide anywhere was the reason WHY the gameplay was so good, it's freedom of control, freedom of predetermined actions, making the game so fun and free.

You guys seriously need to fix this, it messed up the experience of me trying to attempt this game. Who in God's name even complained about the controls in the first place for you to change them to no one's favor?

Seriously, this is not good. You're omitting the controller-based players by turning it into a 3rd person shooter. I can't change the camera every time I want to press the A button. It doesn't make sense whatsoever, that's controller juxtaposition right there.

Please please PLEASE fix this wrongness beyond belief.

Not to mention, the controls haven't actually changed. At all. The abilities always went in the direction of the camera. If you're looking for analog mode, well, that's still in the game too.

Don't know why anyone who wants "freedom of control" would ever use analog, but it's there if you want it.

Seriously, this is not good. You're omitting the controller-based players by turning it into a 3rd person shooter. I can't change the camera every time I want to press the A button. It doesn't make sense whatsoever, that's controller juxtaposition right there.

Please please PLEASE fix this wrongness beyond belief.

I put turning on right stick and on shoulders to fix this problem. Best part is if you push both you get a double speed turn!

Not to mention, the controls haven't actually changed. At all. The abilities always went in the direction of the camera. If you're looking for analog mode, well, that's still in the game too.

Don't know why anyone who wants "freedom of control" would ever use analog, but it's there if you want it.

I illustrated a few ways in which the directional attacks are still useful on control and suggested a possible compromise for pad players. (I currently have a toggle set up that lets me take advantage of the ability to directionally attack in analog when i need it, but overall i prefer the default movement, i just need the ability to account for obstacles between the camera and player object more easily.)

Here's a short video demonstration as to why making Sonic, Tails and Knuckles' double A-press abilities lock TOWARDS the point of view is a terrible idea. https://www.bitchute.com/video/N1OoakZUHbiV/ [...]
I'll be honest, your gameplay just looks bad, really. I'm a gamepad player, and I like the current system in v2.2, and have no trouble with it as any character (not even Sonic or Knuckles).

I'd also like to point out that v2.2's behaviour is actually the default behaviour of v2.1, too.

[...] I can't change the camera every time I want to press the A button. [...]
Then bind jump to RB (and spin to LB), and press the RB button instead of the A button to jump. That way, you can keep your right thumb on the right stick to control the camera at all times.
(That's one of the two recommended gamepad control schemes for this game. The other is to keep using A for jumping and B/X for spinning, then controlling the camera with LB and RB instead of the right stick.)

It sounds weird, I know, but trust me, once you get used to it, it feels good to jump with RB.

Last edited:
Then bind jump to RB (and spin to LB), and press the RB button instead of the A button to jump. That way, you can keep your right thumb on the right stick to control the camera at all times.
(That's one of the two recommended gamepad control schemes for this game. The other is to keep using A for jumping and B/X for spinning, then controlling the camera with LB and RB instead of the right stick.)

It sounds weird, I know, but trust me, once you get used to it, it feels good to jump with RB.

I'd recommend giving the default controls (the actual default. Don't change anything. Don't put any actions on the face buttons) an honest shot. They're default for a reason—I prefer them over any other control scheme.

Honestly, the best way for pad I would argue is to use both shoulders and stick because you have an additional functionality to combine both shoulder and stick inputs for double sensitivity because of how doom handles things. It just functions that way and it adds alot of nuance to what you can do with a pad. It also makes the best of turning on the ground and in the air comfortable. It makes the game feel extremely good and opens up how much you can do with a pad. Jump and spin on shoulder would actually be limiting. (This also still leaves enough room for all the main deathmatch and ctf button inputs on the pad)

(and I mention it in every controls thread, but I really want to see people give it a shot. It really feels like a straight improvement over the default in both form and functionality)

just use fickle cam. also do you really want to be thoking off screen?
If you have a good sense of where you'll end up, yes! Off Screen memorization is part of getting really good at games like DMC3. Even with fast turning there's limits to the speed and fidelity of turning you can get with a gamepad compared to the super precision of a mouse, so having a solution that gives you directional and camera actions would be the best way to improve pad play. (Also, if there's an enemy coming up just behind you, taking care of it is going to be more demanding on a pad than with a mouse, but there are advantages to pad over movement on a keyboard, especially in NiGHTS stages!)

Last edited:
The controls are literally unchanged. Thokking in the direction of the camera has been the default for 20 years. What 2.2 did was disable Analog Mode (an optional control scheme) because it was broken for other reasons.

I'd recommend giving the default controls (the actual default. Don't change anything. Don't put any actions on the face buttons) an honest shot. They're default for a reason—I prefer them over any other control scheme.

If you try for a bit and still don't like it, download ficklecam, an in-development replacement for the old Analog Mode.

Just change your jump and spin to the shoulder/trigger buttons. I have my jump at R2 and spin at L2 on my dualshock 4; this way, you can control the camera AND your character at the same time. Although I can see why this would be confusing to beginners, a little experimenting with the control settings shouldn't do much harm.

You don't even need to do that. I use Fickle's camera mod and I have no problems with the camera ever, even though I use both the same hand to control it and jump. There are actually very few moments where deft camera movement and constant jumping are required. Usually I only really tilt the camera while moving foward.

Like that early section in RVZ1 where you can jump across the floating pumice stones for a faster path, that has a u-turn at the beginning? I just jump onto the stone, quickly move the camera, and start running. You have plenty of time. On u-turns like those in ACZ on flat ground I just hold forward and turn with the camera like this:

https://i.imgur.com/sRSOdig.mp4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back