SRB2DVD - Updated for 2.1.15!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lat'

Absolute territory where
Kart Krew™️

It's about damn time to get the work done, folks!
After about 2 months of work on this, here it is!

...So, huh... Oh yeah, I should at least say what's included in this!

-All of Sonic CD's 8 Special Stages, all revamped with 3D stuff and new textures to add at least 5MBs to the file!

-You can switch between the US & JP soundtracks in the Special Stages by pressing TOSS FLAG.

-To enter Special Stages, you'll have to find 50 Rings and hop into the Giant Ring hovering over the end of level sign.

-Timeflower Zone, as MAP26, it allows you to play GFZ1 with Time Travel. Keep in mind that this map is purely experimental and will never be updated whatsoever.

-Swag new sprites for Chaos Emeralds and characters Special Stage poses.
>>Feel free to make some for your own WADs, I'll gladly add them!

-Supports Multiplayer!
It also has some differences, compared to Sonic CD...

-Special Stages are in 3D, duh!

-The time limit starts at 60 instead of 100.

-Please don't use your mouse to turn or I'll sneak up to your home and murder you with a wrench.

-The HUD displays the Rings Mutiplier, so you know which multiple of 20 you will get when you pop your next Rings UFO

-Getting hit by jaws without Rings makes you lose 10 seconds.

-You get score IN the special stage instead of the result screen

-Those aren't Time Stones, and I will say this is all the devteam's fault for hardcoding the result screen text! Yeah, make a Hook to change it! :c
And now, huh... Oh right! Screenshots!

Known "Glitches"
Code:
-If you changed soundtrack to PAL in Special Stages, reloading one will still play the default USA song until the map finishes loading.

-Landing on uppermost bumpers at the end of the Special Stage may cause the Chaos Emerald to not spawn, you will still get it, however.

-It sometimes happen that the Special Stage giant ring is not actually in the exit sector (THZ2, for instance), the sign won't spin, but the level will still end afterwards.

-I wouldn't recommand reloading a map while someone is Time Travelling.
Changelog
Code:
[B]>> 21/5/16: SRB2DVD R2 is out! Adding 2.1 support and a lot of new stuff to be seen on the release post.

>> 4/10/15 (2): SRB2DVD Hotfix: Hopefully fixed some weird stuff happening online when someone joins[/B]

4/10/15: SRB2DVD R1: Initial beta release
And lastly, I'd thanks each and everyone who helped, and will, I hope, continue to help me doing this (They know who they are...), but also to all of you for the support! I hope you all have fun with this!

Attachments

• SRB2DVDSS_20.rar
    7.1 MB · Views: 20,121
Last edited:
  • Cool!
Reactions: F64
For future reference, TouchSpecial only takes 2 arguments, not 3.

Anyway, this WAD is pretty well put together. The little details of how the gameplay works really shows(time UFO's , getting penalised for using them, sector specials etc). And time travel was a nice gimmick, but I'm pretty sure it's impossible to do it on maps larger than GFZ1 due to the map size limits in the game.

Hey, what would be a release without super annoying glitches!

>>Fixed A Lua error spam happening when a player joins due to the Time Travel variables being nil while the script already operates stuff on them. ...Hopefully.

I guess that Time Flower Zone took a lot of work! Great job with that! I'm even impressed about that I couldn't make the teleporting system teleport me into stupid places even if I tried to! Just two little things that could be fixed, I guess:
srb20020.png

There's some green grass borders in this room at past
And the other thing is that I die after restarting the level after getting into future.

I keep getting the Chaos Emerald get screen even if I fail the Special Stage, which is kind of odd... but otherwise this is a superb recreation of the Special Stages in Sonic CD!

It's really satisfying to run around and use springs to your advantage to chain UFO collisions and get major pointage. I would add that I definitely find these Special Stages a lot less frustrating than the current NiGHTS stage in the main game simply because of how much quicker they take. Any punishment the CD stages give the player decrease their time rapidly or hurt their overall score, so it becomes a very fast-paced race against the clock instead of a slow and aggravating crawl to collect rings on a set path. I also really enjoyed the time travel aspect and it's a really big letdown there's not much hope of being able to recreate most stages with it.

Strangely enough I also have to applaud the 50 rings to enter the Special Stage mechanic. For whatever reason I find it feels much more natural to try to collect 50 rings rather than hunt down a token in an exclusive location since you don't have to stray off the main path and ruin any momentum you had. Not that there's anything wrong with exploration, but I was definitely able to hold a pretty good time in every stage before entering a Special Stage.

You and Deadpool totally rocked this! Backwards baseball caps off to you!

gWYfKkb.gif

...of course I'm gonna comment that Jasper acts kind of funky with this wad, but most of the errors come directly from him so there's not much you can do about it, heh ^^;

Love it, I have one small nitpick tho. In multiplayer, when all timeposts are used up, it's impossible to go to the Past/Present/Future since people most likely used them before you. Maybe make it reusable after a certain amount of time?

I seriously had a lot of fun with this mod even though I haven't played this on the intended way... I played this mod with 2 friends and with combiring.lua...

In Timeflower Zone... We broke through time and space. For example: I was shown to be in the future while being in the present... traveling again to the future and I was in the bad future with good future music. Then I "suicided" and landed in the present, traveled back to the past and I landed in the past with bad future music. Also the skyboxes were kinds of glitchyness...

But that was only half the fun! The real thing was playing the Special Stages with combiring wich ended up into some messy results. I don't know how to explain that but... It requires a lot of planning, timing and teamwork to do it.

Seriously I never had that much fun in a long time. I salute you guys for those awesome mods :D

And yes I've recorded it off but with german commentary

Well, after some not-so-rigorous testing of this WAD, I can say it was entertaining. Hell, you can even say I had a good TIME.

What I like about this WAD:
- The teleport system: Nice idea of thinking of the poor/stupid players who are close to a ceiling and whatnot.
- The special stages: Pretty fun, and true to the original. And a bit too easy, but I used the mouse. (Yeah, I'm a rebel! Come at me bro!)
- The level design: Present TFZ doesn't have much (obviously), but you did a nice job with the Futures and Past maps.

What I didn't like:
- The soundtrack: I'm not talking about the laziness with using tracks already in the game, I'm talking about Future TFZ's soundtrack. It is pretty dissonant at times (maybe it's just me).
- The TIME UFOs: It's a bit too much to always spawn one every time you have 20 seconds left. You could set a limit on the amount of TIME UFOs that can spawn (I think one is enough, even witht the new time limit).

Overall, this is a good WAD and not a waste of TIME. I'm eager to see the updates on this.

And on a final note: about TIME someone made a WAD like this! (Okay I'll stop...)

Wow, Lat', really? Pushing a release on an unfinished game! Bah, it's Sonic 06 all over again! (You know it)

I'm pretty certain Blaze was gonna give you some time trial times for people to beat. Guess you jumped the gun on it.

I'm pretty certain Blaze was gonna give you some time trial times for people to beat. Guess you jumped the gun on it.

Speaking of Times Trial here are some of my Time Attack Records:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d7hcr5wn7o849ax/DP-TimeAttack-SonicDVD.zip?dl=0
Map26 was just pointless but I put it in there anyway.

I would have made my own thread just for the records but I'm not so sure if it will be active or necessary to make. And since I can't use https://records.srb2.org/ it may be meaningless.

Last edited:
Wow, Lat', really? Pushing a release on an unfinished game! Bah, it's Sonic 06 all over again! (You know it)

Comparing the WAD to Sonic 06? ;(
Oh, and Time Trials wouldnt have be exact since LJ Sonik changed the bumper script for it to at least make sense yesterday.

On another subject, saw some posts mentioning that's it's ahuge letdown to not make time travel on other maps. ...I'd say that's assuming none of us in that devteam can make... Entierely new maps, and stuff, like, don't tell me no one guessed already after Blaze leaked the PPZ stuff she made with Kitoko, this mod ain't SRB2 The Past without a museum as HUB! =P

On another subject, saw some posts mentioning that's it's ahuge letdown to not make time travel on other maps. ...I'd say that's assuming none of us in that devteam can make... Entierely new maps, and stuff, like, don't tell me no one guessed already after Blaze leaked the PPZ stuff she made with Kitoko, this mod ain't SRB2 The Past without a museum as HUB! =P

I don't know if that'll work but if it would it will be not multiplayer compatible. I would take a map e.g. map02 and copy it to map27 wich will be Timeflower 2 present. Then I would copy the map and edit all over again to 28, 29 and 30 (past, good future and bad future) and let the player teleport to the desired map (timeperiod) at the position where the player trigered the timewarp. But I don't know if it will work since the game does need to remember things like the state of the robot teleporter and collected rings, defeated enemies ect.
Actually I highly doubt that this will work at all but just sayn' :/

I don't know why having separate maps for different time zones is even being CONSIDERED. IGNORING the fact that you need to "finish" the level to switch completely breaks immersion(black fade-in/fade-out), you need to remember every single object that was killed/interacted with in some way, and then ADAPT to the changes you've done in the "past" map if you did destroy the robot capsule. (This would be REALLY iffy to implement, the only non-painful way I can think of is keeping a variable bound to the player, which would reset when you close the game anyway.)

Imagine the hell this'd cause for Singleplayer, and then consider that anyone can just time travel in Multiplayer, causing EVERYONE to switch maps forcefully. It's just not pleasant for anyone involved.

So yeah, stay sane, don't bother.

I hope the time travels, the robot generators and metal sonic holograms are in all levels one day.

How it's working right now is alright as-is. Also, Lat', for multiplayer, you should have the signs be usable again after a set period of time, that work with the respawn rate. This is because someone could run around and use up all the signs, leaving none accessible to the other players. Just a foresight to a potential issue. (This also makes Match/CTF doable. Not like it matters, ... does it?)

(This also makes Match/CTF doable. Not like it matters, ... does it?)

Funny enough I had played with the same thought but I highly doubt that this gimmic will perform well in Match/CTF gametypes. Just imagine CTF: Blue Team = Future and Red Team = Past... Carrying it over from Past to Future and vice versa will be a pain in the butt as you need to time travel whilst carrying the Flag. So you basicly need to get the flag, find a travel signpost run arround and hope to not get hit by anyone and traveling again. Another issue is that other players can steal the travel sign so the one with the flag is unable to time travel. If both bases are in the present then the whole idea is pretty useless as no time travel will be needed and players being focused on the present timeline. Also accidently hitting a time travel post will be annoying. I could only imagine that you need to travel to the future/past in order to get past a wall blocking the other half of the map. But I don't like this idea either.

In match it will be even more useless as again all players will be focused on one time period and time traveling to another epoch will cause you to lose as other players will most likely keep in the timeline where they had started the battle.

But the main problem is that the sign posts need to recover first before reusing it again, forcing the player, who want to follow someone else to either wait or find another post. I allready can see that this is not going to work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back