Tier Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure this is an AFD considering the ruckus you made last night but I'll reiterate in case it actually isn't.
You need to play a few rounds of actual match with competent players before making a tier list.
That list you have there is super inaccurate to how match actually is like.
unknown.png

If it were something like this then I'd understand... but Jasper is in no way S tier. lol.

speed please every knows being noseless makes you the strongest character in the meta
you get like a billion faster frames because of less friction

I'd actually be pretty interested to know where Proto stands in terms of viability. I haven't even played the latest update though, so IDK if anything broke on him.

Honestly, I would imagine Match and CTF would have separate tier lists, as characters who are good with their abilities in match might be sorely underpowered when it comes to retrieving the flags.

Honestly, I would imagine Match and CTF would have separate tier lists, as characters who are good with their abilities in match might be sorely underpowered when it comes to retrieving the flags.
I would imagine Knuckles being low/medium tier in CTF
(cuz low jump and no glider with flag but that fire multiplier tho)

I'd actually be pretty interested to know where Proto stands in terms of viability. I haven't even played the latest update though, so IDK if anything broke on him.

I've actually played proto a couple of times in match. If I were to rank him on my list I'd honestly put him at around Mid E tier. He's extremely slow and his arsenal is vastly inferior to the standard. Even rosy at time can outperform Proto and rosy is trash.

Last edited:
Seems odd to list "tiers" in a game with three characters. They're also sadly rather obvious right now:

Match/CTF: Sonic > Knuckles > Tails
Single Player: Tails > Knuckles > Sonic

I've actually played proto a couple of times in match. If I were to rank him on my list I'd honestly put him at around Mid E tier. He's extremely slow and his arsenal is vastly inferior to the standard. Even rosy at time can outperform Proto and rosy is trash.

Yeah, that actually sounds about right. Proto and his gun were designed around baddies in a close quarters environment, but those tools don't really compare in ringslinger PvP. I'll have to give him a match overhaul if/when I touch Proto again.

It's okay, he stays S tier in CTF as well.
Too bad he can't fly with the flag. I'm gonna go fix that. I want to make a quality character that rewards you for having SKILL.

But yeah, an accruate tier list would basically be "SONIC > ALL" since nobody plays anything but Meadow Match in, well, Match. I mean, I do personally think that this tier list is actually dependant on the map you play on, as in, Sonic sucks in Infernal Cavern (minus Elemental Shield), but honestly there are just not enough in most Match maps that would make you play anything else than Sonic assuming you've played the game for more than 20 seconds.

As for Coop, well, the more mobility the better, so characters like Tails, Knuckles, Jasper, Silver, and fuck even Shadow since he has more aerial mobility than Sonic are actually good picks since you can make platforming easier.

Then again why would you make tier lists in a game with 3 characters in vanilla, an unbalanced "competitive aspect" that is Match, and addons that are not any more balanced most of the time?

Long story short. This is a Match type. Not all stages are played all the time though. I will make a "Legal stages" thread soon. For Competitive SRB2. (sorry for those people with conflict I just can't help it but have my own opinion)

Since I'm bored I'll just put this out there: I don't think a categorical SP/Coop tier list would be possible at all because it depends way too many factors, the main ones being level design and what you're trying to accomplish in the level in question (for instance, are you trying to beat the level as fast as possible, get all the emblems, get all the record attack emblems, or just have an easy time?).

For VANILLA SRB2, in terms of just beating the game as fast as possible, Sonic is obviously the best because the levels are quite horizontal most of the time and he's stupidly fast. But if you're ranking them by anything other than speed, however, Tails generally wins. Knuckles is pretty much middling no matter what unless the level design either has way too many climbable walls or way too few climbable walls, both to an unacceptable extent...
Vanilla SRB2 very much lacks mostly vertical levels, but in those, Tails generally wins too...but again, there's always variables, like just how vertical the level is, what Knuckles can climb on, if Sonic can monitor bounce to cheese it, etc...

@Chaotic Chao This is for Match. I will put up a SRB2 Legal Stages for Competitive play soon. But other than that, have a great day/night!

This is for Match. I will put up a SRB2 Legal Stages for Competitive play soon.
I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding about this. SRB2 match is simply not remotely balanced enough to be taken seriously as a competitive game. Even compared to Smash Brothers, which you seem to be taking your ideas from, SRB2 match isn't remotely balanced well enough to be taken seriously as a competitive game. There are a number of reasons, but these are the most obvious:

• Sonic is the best character in the game. Period. Nobody disputes this. Even with the tier lists and occasionally overpowered characters like Brawl Meta Knight you end up with in Smash Brothers, there are not tournaments where everyone plays as the same character.
  • The mode is not designed for only two players, and in fact is horrendously balanced in such a situation. Match is balanced around games with between four and eight people. This means that the player who's winning can (and should) be ganged up upon, and that game politics and temporary alliances play a part in the game.
  • The game is balanced for the Smash Brothers equivalent of "all items on". Disabling random items makes the game insufferably frustrating, because the random items are where all the shields and other defensive powerups come from.
This is why nobody's taking this thread seriously. There's no reason to make a list of "tiers" or "tournament legal stages", because the whole game is inherently unbalanced to start. Even if it WAS balanced, such things require a volume of players that we simply do not have to generate the data set necessary to know where to place what.

• Sonic is the best character in the game. Period. Nobody disputes this. Even with the tier lists and occasionally overpowered characters like [Smash 4 Cloud you end up with in Smash Brothers, there are tournaments where everyone plays as the same character, [Cloud]

SRB2 has no need for tier lists, the gaps in the skill needed and the rewards each character has are too large that a chart isnt needed to identify them

Alright, after examining the time attacks on the records site for both the Vanilla stages and SUGOI stages, I can safely state that of the main three characters, in a time attack tier list, Sonic is at the top, Tails at the middle, and Knuckles is in last place.

Of course no one keeps records of modded characters in time attack, so, there is no idea as to where those go on that "tier list".

This is incredibly silly.

It does kinda suck that Knuckles has like no utility in time attack. Tails is at least situationally good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back