• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Sonic and the Broken World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, "I'm going to use all of the map space" is not really the best goal to have when starting a level to begin with, especially if it means the player spending maybe 20-30 minutes going through large, empty areas and very difficult sections that seem to be repeats of previous ones.

It is better to make the level a little smaller and have more variance in the detail on the various routes, even though the existence of CEZ2 shows that pretty good size levels can in fact be built with enough patience and the hardware needed to build all of the nodes on saving.

Well, "I'm going to use all of the map space" is not really the best goal to have when starting a level to begin with, especially if it means the player spending maybe 20-30 minutes going through large, empty areas and very difficult sections that seem to be repeats of previous ones.

It is better to make the level a little smaller and have more variance in the detail on the various routes, even though the existence of CEZ2 shows that pretty good size levels can in fact be built with enough patience and the hardware needed to build all of the nodes on saving.

well yes, this is how i build the levels, doing varius routes with small levels, but LFZ is meant to be an extra challenge to players who really want one, others levels like CCZ1 and UCZ1 have different routes with different challenges (CCZ1 is meant to almost looks like a labyrinth adn UCZ1 has 3 routes with different challenges). The idea of the "use all map space" was from an old versione of srb2 where there was Neo Aerial Garden zone that takes all the space and the idea of making it hard comes from the fact that i havent encountered maps yet with a very high difficulty (also becouse of characters like tails or metal). As i arleady said LFZ was nerfed a lot since useing all map space makes the game broke so its now way more smaller so adding more routes is a good idea but i dont know how many players would actually replay this stage only for another room...also...what do you mean by "repeat of previous one"? im trying to make every room have a different hard challenge, adding or removing some mechanics (except buttons i guess) and the aspect of the level totally changes in the second part (it becomes all like tutorial zone since LFZ is the most corrupted level). I also do notice that this level can be very annoying to some people this is why if you do find it in SP the file wont save so you can go back to TCZ1 and play the story stages...i guess youre forced to play hidden palace for the 7th emerald but that level is way shorter and will have 2 different routes...
thanks for the help ill remember it while designing stages (also, here is a hint on how to enter LFZ)

Attachments

• srb20051.gif
    srb20051.gif
    3.3 MB · Views: 211
TCZ1 completed

The beta level of TCZ1 is now complete! dont have much to say about it, its maybe a bit short but it has much to explore, 3 routes and 2 hidden emblems

Attachments

• srb20057.gif
    srb20057.gif
    2.4 MB · Views: 218
  • srb20067.gif
    srb20067.gif
    2.6 MB · Views: 203
"since you are reaching the computer's core and have almost destroyed all the eggfakes, metal faker decides to take care of you personally, watch out! the floor might collapse..."

Attachments

• srb20069.gif
    srb20069.gif
    7 MB · Views: 214
Story cutscene

I finished adding the story cutscene, it's simple and it makes you understand what is happening, you can see it in the gifs attached

Attachments

• srb20071.gif
    srb20071.gif
    15.5 KB · Views: 328
  • srb20072.gif
    srb20072.gif
    15 KB · Views: 353
  • srb20073.gif
    srb20073.gif
    16.2 KB · Views: 350
  • srb20074.gif
    srb20074.gif
    12.8 KB · Views: 323
Almost back!

im currently working on exams so i wont be able to work on the mod much so i decided to write the complete story with the endings too for now
BFZ1
"sonic woke up and noticed a misterious silence...he decides to go investigate"
BFZ2
"sonic finds some glithces, surprised adn confused, he decides to explore more"
BFZ3
"the chaos computer finds sonic and sends 2 egg fakes to kill him, sonic, now even more confused, he defeats them and goes to what remains of techno hill zone"
TCH1-TCH2
"sonic keeps looking for the cause of this...and he feels observed..."
TCH3
"sonic finds metal faker, that immediatly challenges him to a race, sonic decides to follow him and finds the chaos computer"
TCH4
"metal enters the computer while more eggfakes try to stop sonic, he defeats them and enters too..."
CC1
"sonic explores the chaos computer, fulls of challenges and traps, he later finds a computer with all info on the chaos computer, sonic now knows what to do"
CC2
"sonic goes deeper into the computer...and he feels still observed"
CC3
"sonic takes an elevator to the core but metal faker arrives to stop him as a last attempt"
UCZ1
"sonic is now inside the core, a monocromatic hell where the computer could easily find sonic and erase him! sonic has to find an exit as fast as possible"
UCZ2 (BAD ENDING)
"sonic arrives at the end, defeats the computer and...it was a trap! the computer still has the emeralds so it can easily erase him!"
HPZ
"before entering to the final arena sonic finds a portal...where could it go? sonic is now in the hidden palace where he can find the last emerald!"
FCZ1
"sonic arrives at the end and the computer decides to get rid of him as fast as possble, failing and finish all of his energy"
FCZ2 (GOOD ENDING)
"the whole place is too unstable now! its going to collapse, run sonic!, the emeralds give sonic the power to escape and survive, while the worlds goes back normal and the people are alive again"

that was a lot of stuff to write, i will soon try to post some updates

officialy back!

im now completely back and will continue to work on the mod like before, enjoy this new spoiler of CC1

Attachments

• srb20083.gif
    srb20083.gif
    5 MB · Views: 263
Hhmmmm, this seem's quite interesting. My advice is to follow S3&K's approach to level design. Also, how will the music for this mod go? Do you know how to make it yourself, or will you use existing music (with permission of the composer if it's fan music of course)?

Hhmmmm, this seem's quite interesting. My advice is to follow S3&K's approach to level design. Also, how will the music for this mod go? Do you know how to make it yourself, or will you use existing music (with permission of the composer if it's fan music of course)?

thanks for the advice! for music i will (for now) use the vannila ones.

thanks for the advice! for music i will (for now) use the vannila ones.

No problem man! Sonic 3's level design is absolutely genius, so it will be a blessing for your pack if you carefully study how levels are constructed.

supreme mayhem

i managed to complete and test supreme mayhem, the boss fight that will take place in LFZ.
the fight is divided in 3 phases:
1. there are brak and metal, the arena is a simple rectangle with pits at the borders;
2. after one of the 2 enters its pinch phase, 2 doors will open and reveal 2 eggmobiles;
3. after any of the bosses has died, the border of the arena will collapse, making it easier to fall down.

this boss was one of the most chaotic and unstable did i ever tried and succeded to made, the fight crashed many times but should now work.

Attachments

• srb20055.png
    srb20055.png
    50.5 KB · Views: 251
Chaos Computer Zone 1 completed

i finished the first act of chaos computer zone, now sonic will have to take the elevator for act 2, enjoy these spoilers

Attachments

• srb20088.gif
    srb20088.gif
    2.8 MB · Views: 209
  • srb20087.gif
    srb20087.gif
    3.3 MB · Views: 219
Lost Factory Zone Guide

im still developing the mod but i dont have much to show, so i will instead do a guide for lost factory zone that will say how to complete every room (this post will be updated when ill add more stuff and i will add some screenshots)

1. a simple room with fast crushers, not much to say here just dont spindash at the end;
2. a room with a small platforms and 2 turrets, if you spindash they could activate before
you can react, here you obtain the first ring;
3. here you simply have to destroy all enemys, watch out as they can make you easily lose
your ring, and that would be bad;
4. when entering thok immediatly at the dragonbomber or he will be a major threat, then go to the first platform, kill the crawlas and spindash to the blue spring to the other platform, here you can also try to spindash directly to the red spring but that can be a little risky, arrived at the red spring you need to land on a small platform and immediatly jump off, now (after trying to defeat the second dragonbomber)kill the yellow spring shell, now you have to platform in small towers with spikes that retract for activating a button, then go to the blue spring, spindash so that you dont collide with the small spike and go to the activated platform (there is also a cheese you can do here, after killing the yellow spring shell you can spindash directly in the next area) and from here go to the next area, here grab the pity shield and try to press the button protected from spincushions and a dragonbomber, then go the the red spring and to the next room.
5. avoid the smashing spikeballs and the unidus
6. here you need to push a ball to the black button while avoiding the eggrobos (now after pressing the black button you can go back to room 5 and enter a new opened door with a extra life), now jump under the platform so that you land in a smaller platform that lets you enter inside the other platfrom (yeah this is becoming confusing lol) from there press the yellow buttons that activates small platforms that lets you proceed.
7. small corridor with spikes, this is not a problem if you still have the ring with you
8. W.I.P.

(also, i could change the old rooms anytime, as the level is still in beta)

Last edited:
here are some spoilers of chaos computer 2, the developing of this stage is going well

Attachments

• srb20092.gif
    srb20092.gif
    3.1 MB · Views: 250
  • srb20094.gif
    srb20094.gif
    1.6 MB · Views: 277
  • srb20095.gif
    srb20095.gif
    3.1 MB · Views: 239
i tried making a skybox for CCZ2, it doesnt look too bad, i guess

Attachments

• srb20101.png
    srb20101.png
    108.9 KB · Views: 196
here is how LFZ development is going meanwhile...

Attachments

• srb20133.gif
    srb20133.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 205
  • srb20125.gif
    srb20125.gif
    2.1 MB · Views: 198
Are you sure this is possible as other characters? (Specifically Amy)

Are you sure this is possible as other characters? (Specifically Amy)

thanks for the reply, this mod is beign developed with the idea of it beign played with sonic only (so that you cant just fly over everything) but i would like, after the 1.0 version is completed make special routes for characters like amy

The second screenshot of LFZ looks like you're turning that zone into Kaizo SRB2, and I can't help but feel worried for my lackluster skills. ._.

Anyway, keep it up and enjoy your day :>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back