Official Level Design Contest Voting: September/October 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating post 1:
Single Player

Frost Mountain Zone, Act 1 by HyperKnux:5/10
Theme:Snow(Something like).
Flaws:The rings were not deafed, The fishes didn't jumped high enough to get out of water, a hidden Deton before the 1st checkpoint, No freezed water(There should be freezed water because the theme is a snowy-like theme)
Good things:Weee!Snowy-themed, the shield before the water part, no space in blank =D
Comment:I liked this level in some part, And i disliked it on another. Deafed rings are important, Detons ruined the fun of this level.
Snowpoint Land Zone, Act 1 by Superusuario:NA/10
IT'S MINE!
Red Desert Zone by SonicMaster:9/10
Theme:Night, Desert.
Flaws:It's a bit confusing.
Good things:Almost everything, Except the flaw.
Commentary:The best level i've seen on this OLDC. The music and the textures were nice, I liked this level.
Skyline Paradise Zone by fawfulfan:2/10
Theme:City, Night.
Flaws:Boy, This level has too many flaws. Too confusing, Some hoops were too close to each other, Some of the circles of rings, wings and rings and wings at the end were stuck on the floor, etc.
Good things:None D=
Commentary:Boy...This had too many flaws...Go to read Level Design 101 at the NIGHTS part if you wanna make good NIGHTS levels. Sorry if i'm flaming you.
Electric Dungeon Zone by Roy:1/10
Theme:Laboratory/Factory.
Flaws:Almost everything.
Good things: None D=
Commentary:Wow...Worst than SPZ by Fawfulfan...The button-pressing thing is stupid, 1 extra point because i couldn't finish the level. I always die.
Dimension Glaber Special Stage 2 by Glaber:8/10
Theme:Special Stage.
Flaws: The wall and the floor texture almost killed me X_X and the time you have to collect 250 rings.
Good things:Everything except the flaws. I loved the music!
Comments:MY EYES!I almost die!The rings are hard to find with that texture. But once you fail, They're easy to find!I won at my 2nd attempt.
Freezing Flare Zone, Act 2 by Simsmagic:6/10
Theme:Snow, Fire.
Flaws:Going from ice to fire.
Good things:Almost everything except the flaw.
Comment:I really enjoyed this level. It was logic until the theme changed...That made it illogic.
Water Ruins Zone by Donovan The Hedgehog:0/10
Theme:Temple, Night, Rain.
Flaws:Everything. This has no fun =/
Good things:None.
Comments:The worst of them all. It has no fun and it's too simple.
Geothermal Volcano Zone by verifiaman:1/10
Theme:Volcano, valley, Factory.
Flaws:Almost everything
Good thing:It's a challenge!
Commentary:Illogic!A factory and a volcano.Both don't fit.
Multiplayer, I only got one. I forgot about the others.
Gameboy Valley Zone by SonicMaster:5/10
Theme:Valley, Night, black and white.
Flaws:It's black and white.
Good:Everything except the black and white part.
Comment:It's pure black and white!I was playing with a person and he didn't noticed the water.

fawfulfan said:
such as the computer scrolling text at the beginning
It's just a cheap marquee effect that looks like it was done in Paint. You would have been better off without it, or alternatively you could have made it look slick and modern.

I've finally voted on all the Single Player levels. Yay.

Not counting Kaysakado's scores because he didn't give ANY feedback*, Red Desert Zone is in first place with 7.80 and Frost Mountain is in second place with 7.00. As many lame levels as there were, the 1P division was worth it solely for Frost Mountain. Good job, Hyperknux.

*I've looked at totals and seen that such scores were indeed omitted from the totals when Mystic did the math.

Re: Official Level Design Contest Voting: September/October

FuriousFox said:
Although it's not necessary, it's very helpful to make comments about what you liked and didn't like about the map, so the author can improve his skill for future attempts.

This would lead me to believe that his scores have to be counted anyway.

So I'm not doing to well... at least I know why. But.... How do I make a level less flat with out randomly placing stairs?

Single Player:
Freezing Flare Zone, Act 2 by Simsmagic -- 6/10
I liked the concept, but it was a bit too linear. I don't know what made me decide on a 6, but it was either that or a 4.
Skyline Paradise Zone by fawfulfan -- 2/10
Dear god. I'm normally good at NiGHTS levels, but this one took me forever to finish. Did you play this all the way through before submitting it?

Match:
MAPA1 - Gameboy Valley Zone by SonicMaster -- 8/10
I really, really liked this map. Clever use of color (or non-color) and good design. The only real problem was me spamming auto-infinity everywhere and owning everyone. :P
MAPA2 - Treehouse Sanctuary Zone by Ice -- 4/10
This was too cramped, and falling down into the middle was almost death because I kept getting shot there. :/ Try making a bigger level next time, and don't make it so cramped. Also, those rails shouldn't have been intangible.
MAPA3 - Grassy Pier Zone by astar -- 1/10
Again, dear god. I could scarcely stay out of the air, and when I was on the ground, I had people spamming homing-explosion at me (and everyone else). The gimmick would've been nice, but you used it waaaaay too much.
MAPA4 - Submerged Sanctuary Zone by ss47 -- 3/10
I've always hated underwater levels, and this one was underwater AND cramped. Levels based on being underwater generally aren't a good idea.
MAPA5 - Dark Fort Zone by Knockout The Echidna -- 4/10
I think it was just too bland. I mean, I know it was called Dark Fort, but seriously. That infinity ring took forever to get to, and auto-homing-infinity really is never a good idea.

CTF:
MAPA6 - Opposition Zone by SonicMaster -- 10/10
Holy crap. You've outdone yourself. I loved this map. It was a bit asymmetrical, but that's besides the point. The teleports and shortcuts were great. This map is addicting.
MAPA7 - Green Valley Zone by N.Cenz -- 4/10
I was talking about cramped levels earlier, but this was too open. What was that thing in the middle of the water, anyway?
MAPA8 - Contaminated Gourge Zone by Shrike -- 2/10
This level almost lagged me to death. It's too big, the acid is really unneeded, and those flashing towers gave me a headache. Seriously, try to make the map less flashy.
MAPA9 - Lift Bridge Zone by Ezer.Arch -- 8/10
This one used all the best gimmicks. I thought it was a bit of a ripoff of Crazy Castles, but it was better. I liked the zoom tubes, they always put me somewhere different. (Well, almost always.) I had fun on this level.
MAPAA - Zero Star Zone by ss47 -- 3/10
This level was, again, too cramped. It was too small, and the arrow platforms really bugged me. Also, try not to rip off of past levels. >_<
MAPAB - Techno Base Zone by Blade T. Hedgehog -- 2/10
Please don't do that again. I got lost in this level. I could never find anything, especially not the bases.

Circuit:
MAPAC - Quicksand Forest Zone by SonicMaster -- 4/10
I really didn't get this level. At all. I do like Circuit, but this was just...I don't know how to put it.
MAPAE - Warped Woods Zone by Jazz -- 2/10
I can understand why it was called Warped Woods now. This level was all over the place, and I never knew where I was.

Kitsune said:
was that thing in the middle of the water, anyway?

Its a Holy Hand Grenade (Yeah i was playing worms when i made this level).

Kitsune said:
MAPA8 - Contaminated Gourge Zone by Shrike -- 2/10
This level almost lagged me to death. It's too big, the acid is really unneeded, and those flashing towers gave me a headache. Seriously, try to make the map less flashy.

Uh, the level worked fine for me. Didn't lag at all. That was the server we were in. The acid was the whole theme of the level, as for the flashy and too big part, I'll remember that for future reference.

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
Not counting Kaysakado's scores because it would lower my level's score
^What you really meant.

*I've looked at totals and seen that such scores were indeed omitted from the totals when Mystic did the math.
FuriousFox said:
Although it's not necessary, it's very helpful to make comments about what you liked and didn't like about the map, so the author can improve his skill for future attempts.

YOUR ARGUMENT IS NULL AND VOID ETC[/quote]

Your scores are particularly low for all the levels. Seriously, I want a mod or admin's input on this. If you never checked, your scores were actually discounted in the previous contest. Ice, BW, DW, and I all agreed that your scores in JulyAug08 should not be counted, and I had no one saying otherwise.

You also gave feedback. I've gotten low scores on levels and didn't complain before. The lack of feedback makes me question whether those scores should even be counted.

Your scores are particularly low for all the levels.
5 is AVERAGE. Not 7. 5. In other words, I thought this to be an average contest.

Seriously, I want a mod or admin's input on this.
OK. If they abide by their own laws, then I should win this argument.

If you never checked, your scores were actually discounted in the previous contest.
I checked. I know. And I still have no idea why, except that you wanted to win first place and whined about it.

Also, you haven't countered anything in my previous post. You just came up with more reasons why my votes shouldn't be counted, and then I countered that.

In any case, once sepwich stops giving me Error 500 every other time I click on something, I'll gladly put reviews.

Actually, your vote hardly affects my level's score, anyway. Still, I withdraw myself from this argument. I'll let admins and mods say something; I am not in charge. I seriously understand what you mean about the message board having errors. I suppose you could use paste.srb2.org or something.

Kitsune said:
CTF:
(...)
MAPA9 - Lift Bridge Zone by Ezer.Arch -- 8/10
This one used all the best gimmicks. I thought it was a bit of a ripoff of Crazy Castles, but it was better.
You've discovered one of my inspirations. I based my map on three Jazz's levels: Crazy Castles Zone (switch system), Railsniper Rampage Zone (spring system), and Frozen River Zone (bridge and map layout).

The CCZ's switch system is used to open doors and to raise up some footbridges independently, each door and footbridge has its own switch pair. On the other hand, in my map there's a single lift-brigde that's controlled by two pairs of switches, one per base; so players of both bases will quarrel for bridge control, that's the map goal! ^^, ... also I positioned both switch pairs at a same floor height so that players (ones who are controlling the bridge) may shoot each other (PIC).

I thought even of calling my map "Bridge Conflict Zone", but we have a "Conveyor Conflict Zone" in SRB2 already.

Kitsune said:
I liked the zoom tubes, they always put me somewhere different. (Well, almost always.) I had fun on this level.
Zoom tubes? I didn't use them :) . I used two 48x48-fracunits tubes with Speed pad and FOF's with wind/current.

Thanks for rating,

Here's my review on the rest of the stages.

Skyline Paradise Zone: 3/10
I got lost way too often in this one. Some areas just feel a bit too small, and it took me forever to figure out the way. You could have used arrows to point out the directions. You also had missing textures, that was very annoying in a some parts..

Red Desert Zone: 8/10
I LOVED this stage. The multiple paths, the speed, the platforming, it was very fun.

Dimension Glaber Special Stage 2 by Glaber: 6/10
Well, first of all, the texture choice isn't the prettiest. Yellow and brown, with more yellow rings. And the music was just really strange. Other then that, there was nothing wrong with this. But it's just... a special stage.

Frost Mountain Zone, Act 1 by HyperKnux: 8/10
I liked this stage a lot. The textures looked good together, and the music was nice. I didn't like a bit of the enemy placement, but that was just one or two parts. Liked all the platforming too.

Geothermal Volcano Zone by verifiaman: 4/10
This stage had a lot of cheap traps. Like, say, the lava the flies up out of nowhere. It also had some traps that could only get you if you purposely touched them. Like the lasers. I would put those a little lower so that you would have to spindash to get past them safely.

Opposition Zone: 7/10
I like the idea of this stage, heaven vs hell (If that's not it, That's just how I think of it.) It had so many paths to go to get from one place to another. It was really fun and interesting to play in.

Green Valley Zone: 6/10
This stage wasn't bad, but it wasn't very interesting. You also had a HUMONGOUS missing texture that can be seen from an area.

Contaminated Gourge Zone(CTF): 4/10
The stage is really big, and flashy. Also don't like how the entire thing is over a huge lake of acid, which not only damages you when you touch the acid, but kills you when you get to the bottom of it. This makes the stage almost unplayable in lag.

Contaminated Gourge Zone(MATCH): 3/10
See above. This is way too large to really bee played in match.

Lift Bridge Zone: 8/10
Really, really liked this stage. It was fun to be able to stop your opponents using the stage. The shortcut was useful, but a little cheap. You could have made it harder to get into.

Zero Star Zone:7/10
This stage is just fine. It's just a little cramped, and that's all.

Techno Base Zone: 5/10
The stage was really large and laggy. I couldn't find my own team's base, or the opposing team's base.

Quicksand Forest Zone: 7/10
Red Desert zone and Opposition zone were really fun and great stages, sonicmaster. Quicksand Forest zone is no different. It's anti-thokfest, and if you want to thok you have to time them well. I like the jumping and spinning required too. I hope you make more stages of this quality in other contests.

No Name Forest Zone: 6/10
This wasn't completely bad, but I hit things a lot. The stage is very cramped, and was constantly slowed down by all the obstacles in my way.

Warped Woods Zone: 3/10
This stage is really confusing. I had no idea where I was supposed to go. When I wasn't confused about where I was going, the constant acid and slime that kept popping up were really annoying, and I was slowed down even more because I had to pick up my rings.

[/b]

Jellybones69 said:
This stage is really confusing. I had no idea where I was supposed to go.

Kitsune said:
I can understand why it was called Warped Woods now. This level was all over the place, and I never knew where I was.

Map in question:
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x290/srb2jazz/WarpedWoods.jpg

Path in blue.
Tails/Knuckles shortcuts in red.
Direction arrows in green.

The entire map is linear and laden with arrows. The only non-linear paths are shortcuts only accessible by Tails and Knuckles. None of my three testers got lost in this build of the level. In other words, my testing led me to believe that this level was simply difficult which was the goal, not necessarily confusing.

The question is... How do you wish me to go about making a linear level more clear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back