Confirmed "Run Retry" doesn't work on gamepads

In Record Attack and NiGHTS Mode, the "Pause / Run Retry" control switches functions from quick-pausing the game to restarting the attempt if you hold it for a bit.

However, when bound to a gamepad instead of a keyboard key, pressing "Pause / Run Retry" on the gamepad results in the game showing "Hold to retry..." for a little bit, but that notification goes away shortly thereafter, regardless of whether you hold the control or let go of it, and you don't get to start over in any case.

It's still possible to start over while using a gamepad by opening the pause menu and selecting "Retry" from there. I don't know if this issue also occurs with mouse buttons, but keyboard keys can retry as intended.

Environment: SRB2 v2.2.0 (32-bit), on a 64-bit Windows 10, using an X-Input controller.

This doesn't work with mouse buttons either, and while I haven't looked to make sure, it feels like the retry mechanic relies on keyboard auto-repeat to get its effect.

This doesn't work with mouse buttons either, and while I haven't looked to make sure, it feels like the retry mechanic relies on keyboard auto-repeat to get its effect.
That seems to maybe be the case, yes; If I bind "Pause / Run Retry" to the W key on my keyboard, and hold W for a bit, it retries. If I press and hold W, then also press and let go of D (which isn't even bound to anything in-game), which would stop the W key being auto-repeated by Windows, it doesn't retry.

(Semi-related to this bug report, the game also seems to have hardcoded support for retrying by holding the Pause key on the keyboard (also requiring other keys to not be pressed in the meantime), too, though this has its own issues; It doesn't do a fade to white first (it just instantly gets fully white and then fades back to normal, whereas a bound W would do a short fade to white and then back), and unlike keys that are bound to the "Pause / Run Retry" control, it doesn't show the "Hold to retry..." text when pressed. The hardcoded pause key also sometimes fades to black and then shows the act's title card, rather than just a short white fade, though I don't know if this is exclusive to the hardcoded pause key.)

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back