Resource icon

[Open Assets] FFlare (AKA Flare/Flying Sonic Remake) [V1.6.1]

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

June Sai

The guy who re-made Flare
What F stands for?

It stands for flying, I thought you'd figure it out just by reading the title
I'm very dissapointed at you.

Anyways, he's back, even if nobody asked for this, or even knew who was in the first place, but he's still here and with some new tricks up his sleeve and a new coat of paint to go along with it so he can do anything legal he can to stop eggman

attachment.php

This is Flare Sonic, or just Flying Sonic, essentially remade to be just more than a "funee meme character", in question of sprites, he recieved the "2.2 treatment" where his old SSNSonic sprites were replaced with new sprites to fit the aesthetic better, while also recieving new sprites for other actions, like having his own swimming animations, his old running animation now covering all the angles instead of just his back angle, and most importantly, his epic death animation brought back too, and he also has exclusive super frames for swimming and flying

attachment.php

Now for his abilities and stats, he basicly shares the same stats as the rest of the cast and has a regular jump height just like Sonic's, he still can fly like Tails by flapping his arms quickly in the air, but his flight is pretty weak, specially when compared to Tails (60 actionspd for Flare and 100 for Tails), so it barely gives him any height at all, so trying to stop yourself from falling is pretty useless too

But he doesn't just fly, he also has a dash mode, but he can't break obstacles or destroy enemies, so be careful.

attachment.php

Flare also has a new ability called Flare Stomp that can be used by pressing spin in the air when you don't have any shields equipped, Flare Stomp is basicly just the elemental shield stomp which sends you straight downwards, killing any momentum you have and spawning some flames around you when you touch the ground, although it has a few differences, mostly that it's slightly faster, and you don't have a little bounce when hitting the ground, so you're able to act instantly when you touch the ground

Along with the new abilities and sprite updates, Flare also recieved new voice clips, 4 new ones for when you're hit, and a new one that has 10% of chance of playing whenever you die over the classic Doom Guy death scream, and Flare also teams up with the old/original Flare from 2.0 in Singleplayer, so he can use SSNFlare to gain some extra height and use a little hand to do anything legal to stop eggman.

This started as just as a recreation of Flare's flying sprites, to turning it slowly into something more than just a new port from FSonic (in this case, Flare was still called F. Sonic back in the days) at the end of the day, it's still a meme-y character, but I think I've had threw my efforts on trying to make him interesting to play rather than to keep him only as a joke character for the sake of being a joke character, and I hope you all enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making him, even if it's far from being as good as the other characters around the message board

Flare also comes in two version, one that has a custom super form music, that plays Yakuza 0 - Force Addiction over the regular super theme, and the other one, which plays the regular music, there's no differences other than that.

attachment.php

He also has support for Cobalt's Battle Mod that gives him Sonic's Super Jump and Bounce attack since already has a move that sends him crashing downwards and he also has some vertical capabilities with his weak flight. (New in Version 1.6)

I'll probably try to make more abilities and balances for him in the future when I get the chance to, and suggestions would be nice too

Huge shoutouts for Xelork for helping me with the Lua script part and switchKaze for cleaning the code up, and everyone that supported this trash meme wad, you're all great, thank you.

Changelog

V1
-Initial release

V1.2
-Fixed the issue with Single Player selection picture

V1.3
-Added SSNSonic Flare (Old/Original Flare) as a bot teammate in SP
-Changed the ending screen fireworks
-Changed the un-necessarily long filename to make things less confusing

V1.4
-Added support for Cobalt's battle mod
-Flare now has the dig ability when the battle mod add-on is loaded (mostly a placeholder until I get an actually original ability for him)

V1.5
-Changed Flare's description slightly to reflect the fact that you can't break spikes anymore with dash mode

V1.6
-Changed Flares Battle Mod ability from digging to Sonic's Stomp and Super Jump
-Increased stomp falling speed (From 35 fracunits to 45)
-Changed ending fireworks once again

V1.6.1
-Fixed a bug that allowed the stomp flames to be spammed while charging a spindash, also making you unable to jump out to cancel a spindash
-Fixed a bug that made the super music to revert back to the regular music after getting an extra life

Supporters / CoAuthors

Attachments

• srb20130.gif
    562.5 KB · Views: 27,595
  • srb20111.gif
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,926
  • srb20138.gif
    6.5 MB · Views: 17,198
  • srb20139.gif
    7.8 MB · Views: 1,622
  • srb20143.gif
    5.9 MB · Views: 17,424
  • srb20156.gif
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,046
  • srb20157.gif
    1.7 MB · Views: 748
  • srb20158.gif
    3.3 MB · Views: 632
  • srb20007.gif
    3.8 MB · Views: 13,496
  • VCL_FFlare-v1.6.1.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 4,186
Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe we live in an age where Flying Sonic can get into releases, as silly as it is there's a strange kind of effort put into this. Welcome to releases, you recolor who abides by the law.

Ah yes, it seems the message board is slowly being overrun with joke characters, and I'm not disagreeing.

Also is that a Rocket Metal Sonic in the background of that one gif?

oh no, you finished it

why'd you finish it?

Anyways, I'm-a gonna make a legacy FFlare, see you when my submission gets rejected!

I hate to say it, but I was looking for the original for the longest time. Thanks?

By the way, I'm not joking.

Hey, would it be okay if I added a little thing where if both mods are loaded, they can have a tag team thing?

I'd love to, in fact, I'm all up to make it into the official version, so we could have both the original Flare and FFlare as bots like we have with Sonic & Tails

Fixed the issue that makes Flare's picture in SP character selection bugging if other extra characters are added.

Updated to V1.3

-Added SSNSonic Flare (Old/Original Flare) as a bot teammate in SP
-Changed the ending screen fireworks
-Changed the un-necessarily long filename to make things less confusing

It's been kinda crazy to work on this, originally only planning on making sprites for flying and nothing more, then going to swimming sprites to giving him new abilities that he wasn't even supposed to have, it's been fun, I think I've did everything I could for this character, and since I don't know Lua myself and neither spriting myself, I don't think I can go any further until I learn it myself, I guess

It's been fun, seeing all the people that downloaded this literal joke and genuinely having fun using him, and the times I've had with him in my servers were pretty cool too

So, thank you for all the support, even if this wad is not any good when compared to what we have in the MB right now, I still feel that I've did something good, I hope you all have fun

Maybe I'll try something that's not a joke in the future.

Updated to V1.4

Since I really enjoyed Cobalt's battle mod, I've decided to give Flare a Battle Mod ability, which is digging since he basicly already has some sort of stomp in his arsenal, but I'll probably give him something else in the future if I figure out something cool later, but that's about i.t

I've set this add-on as a reusable content since I'm not going to be active in the community anymore since I'm leaving discord and other social medias in general

So, have fun, as long as you credit me
2.2 has a lot of future and I want to see how far we can get.

Hi, once again, I'm updating this addon, maybe for the last time, or not

I've made some slight changes to FFlare, but nonetheless, changes.

-His ending fireworks were changed to give him more of a "psychotic" look that Flare has in all of his portraits.

-Flare's stomp ability recieved an upgrade, he crash downwards faster now, from 35 to 45 fracunits since his stomp felt pretty useless and weak in comparasion to other characters around in the MB that had the same ability.

-Flare's Battle Mod ability was changed from Knuckles to Sonic to fit his moveset better.

That's about it, I hope you all enjoy this new version, even if it's nothing really good, considering we have a lot of newer and better characters around now.

New version (1.6.1)

This is actually a huge update, since I fixed both the issue with the stomp that would cause the flames to be highly spammable in case you tried to jump while spindashing, and the music bug that would revert the music to the regular super theme in case you got an extra life by either getting enough rings or by destroying a 1-UP monitor

Soon I'll be changing other sprites as well, mostly making the shoes yellow to make him different from the default sonic, other than that, that's all I've wanted to change for now.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back