Touhou

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you think that's messed up, wait until you fight Ran Yakumoto. [...Did I spell it right? 8D]
Also. *points at Sonicmaster's Avi*
Reisen Udonga Inaba. Lunatic moon rabbit. e.O

Last edited:
Ran Yakumo. She wrecked me for months because I didn't bother to actually try harder difficulties beyond normal and went right to her ^_~

I just watched a vid of Boss Replay mode in the eighth game...reminds me of Ikaruga, sans the absorbing mechanic. =D Going to try one out now. *downloads*

If the bullet shooting games aren't your type, you can try
7.5 - Immaterial & Missing Power (IAMP)
10.5 - Scarlet Weather Rhapsody (SWR)
You forgot 12.3, Unthinkable Natural Law, which is a expansion for SWR that can also be run by itself.

12.3 has Cirno as a playable character <3

I never really saw what the big deal with Touhou was. I mean, it was awesome back in like 2003 right after ESoD (Probably because it's only one of the few games that ran on my old 98 ) but since then, it just seems overrated.

I don't get why people are all like "NEW GAMES ARE OVERRATED LULZ" [Not picking on you, MasterJ] They just seem to be adding more stuff you can do, not to mention updating the graphics and engine... ah well, some people just like the classics, and NOTHING ELSE...

I started getting into it last week when a friend on another forum gave me Phantasmagoria of Flower View. I've been fairly hooked ever since, and I've been attempting to beat PCB for a good while now.

Cirno's my favorite character for some odd reason.

So, after a few days of playign 12.3, I think I can safely say...
I HATE FIGHTING PATCHOULI.
I know it's a fighter with more of a projectile basis and a spin off of a Danmaku game, but CRAP, she just NEVER FREAKING STOPS. Projectiles and blasts EVERYWHERE. And Cirno's projectiles always get crushed by almost every other projectile, if not EVERY PROJECTILE in the game. I don't think I ever beat her with Cirno yet ;_;

THIS JUST IN *is sitting infront of randomly placed desk* I've gotten EoSD. And also, I suck at it.. Nyeehhh... XD Patchy is an old fart....

Yeah, EOSD is one of the more difficult in the series in my opinion...but somehow, over the course of an entire year, I never realized there was a practice mode *smacks self in head* so now I'm practicing the later stages.

Hopefully I'll be able to beat it 1CC

I never really saw what the big deal with Touhou was. I mean, it was awesome back in like 2003 right after ESoD (Probably because it's only one of the few games that ran on my old 98 ) but since then, it just seems overrated.

The main deal with games like this is that you rarely see very good shmups nowadays, especially if you live in the US. Sure, there's been a lot of freeware shmups released over the past several years, but even the best ones pale in comparison to retail games most of the time. Heck, now that the R-Type series is over, we just don't really have much that we know will come stateside aside from Gradius (and even then, we get the shaft on the 360 release of Otomedius, because Konami doesn't seem to have the guts to release any of their Gradius spinoffs here) anymore. So we import, but with the headaches involved in legally getting past region locks on some consoles, the PC naturally seems like an attractive choice. And with the higher cost of importing a game from Japan, you really only want the best value for your money, and so those who can afford to import and love shmups would obviously love to have at least one Touhou game in their collection.

Also, a bullet hell game like this has a lot of it's fun and replay value in attaining perfection. No deaths, collecting every collectible, killing every enemy, and so on. As a result, even the smallest of gameplay changes can affect your playstyle substantially. A lot of people nowadays aren't really into that sort of game anymore, which may be why so many of them find Touhou (and the genre itself) overrated. Of course, I haven't played the fighting games, so I can't comment on those.

Availability seems to be the main cause of shmup fandom detriment. Over the few years, I find myself hunting down Cave bullet hell games, being a huge fan, to little or no avail. THe only reason I shun Touhou in comparison is because Cave games are exceptionally different with each game/series while keeping the basic premise.

Then again, there's a huge line between Dōjin-soft and Commercial.

Last edited:
I can certainly understand wanting the games to be different, nothing wrong with that. I like Treasure's games quite a bit for that very reason. All the same though, I know I wouldn't be the only one who would love it if they reversed their 'no-sequel' policy and made another Ikaruga game, so I guess we're different in that respect.

...The fighting games are the only ones I have any skill at and I'm still afraid to choose anything over easy. The farthest I've gotten without using a continue on the normal games was beating MoF's easy mode, and even then I had to half-ass my way through that last spell card (bomb, bomb, die because I'm trapped in a shrinking box of bullets with no openings AT ALL, bomb, bomb, die, etc.).

At the moment, though, I've acquired a new game through my brother's friend, the title of which translates to "Touhou Hack and Slash". No idea what the story is (no translation because it's apparently very recent), but it plays a lot like a simple Diablo clone, and is rather fun. Still trying to figure out how to get the multiplayer part working...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back