Should Super Forms be in Single Player/Coop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. As DOOD said, it at least powers up Sonic so he can stand a change against Tails and Knuckles powers to skip half the level. And Glaber, you won't drop anything ever because you're never satisfied until everything is exactly how you want it. (Oh, and no shadow wad can turn super outside of match either, and that doesn't go with nex gen stuff so don't even start that)

On a note on how other character wads should have super... I still am gonna have to say no. The problem with so many supers is that eventually everyone just keeps having all these super forms in the game and the challenge is thus taken out of EVERY net game you go into. Not to mention with SMS's auto emerald start around and about again it doesn't make things any better.

Single player, yes, but for Coop, I think it's not fair for other players sometimes. Take Tails and Deep Sea Zone 1. Let's say you're gonna drown and you need air ASAP. Super Tails can fly really high, while Sonic and Knuckles, super or not (I don't think you can climb DSZ walls) will still have to find an air bubble. And there's this 'setrings' command that when you put on cheats you get 9999 rings which make you go Super for almost the entire level. But I think it should be in SP and Coop, because I agree that the Chaos Emeralds on them are really pointless.

On a note on how other character wads should have super... I still am gonna have to say no. The problem with so many supers is that eventually everyone just keeps having all these super forms in the game and the challenge is thus taken out of EVERY net game you go into. Not to mention with SMS's auto emerald start around and about again it doesn't make things any better.

Wait a sec, you mean just Sonic should be Super?

In SS and Co-op yes. I find it very annoying going into a server where they use SMS's auto emerald thing to automatically become very over powered and they all start going on about how they say they are so awesome because of how fast they are now that they can skip half the level with no challenge. Not putting to much gripe on SMS's wad, but that's probably the thing I hate most about it. Now don't get wrong, in match I have to problem with others going super. That's only fair. In co-op and such, it isn't.

That's.... just silly, some people don't want super forms in single player because of SMS and his overpowered crap, that's just sad, I'll have to keep playing as Sonic to get super (I always use Tails anyway!), I don't see much point on collecting the emeralds now... I never play much coop anyway! I play in another gametypes, though that I would be more excited on playing a coop server if it had SonicCE (and someone else that I forgot) and he could actually turn super, they should just make limited super forms power, that's my opinion about it

Actually, I don't much have a problem with the fact that you don't need the emeralds as Tails and Knuckles. There isn't much of a reason to collect the emeralds when playing as Tails alone in Sonic 2, but I do it occasionally for the fun of it. If you only wanna collect the emeralds as Sonic in SRB2, that's fine. The special stages get repetitive anyhow =P

The reason why we changed this is to go back to the Sonic 2 design of Super, where it's something cool and special that only Sonic can do. Tails doesn't get awesome Super abilities. This means that yes, we are indeed ignoring S3K's absurd listing of super and hyper forms entirely. Just because the classic games were awesome doesn't mean they're perfect, and the Super/Hyper forms in S3K were really quite excessive and only Sonic's were really interesting anyhow.

Increasingly over the past few years, character WADs have basically all had the "go Super" feature. Just go through the archived files and you'll see every character ever could, including both characters that had a legitimate reason (Shadow, Blaze) and characters that wouldn't remotely have any context for it, like the MS Paint drawings and sprite rips. The only characters that couldn't were Tails and Knuckles. By removing super forms from all the other characters, Sonic gets his cool signature special ability back, putting the "Sonic" back into "Sonic Robo Blast 2" and making Sonic special again.

In fact, I think the only reason the Super Emeralds were included in Sonic 3 & Knuckles is because the original game was split anyway, so yeah, they had to make SOME way to tie the two now separate games together.

Actually, I don't much have a problem with the fact that you don't need the emeralds as Tails and Knuckles. There isn't much of a reason to collect the emeralds when playing as Tails alone in Sonic 2, but I do it occasionally for the fun of it. If you only wanna collect the emeralds as Sonic in SRB2, that's fine. The special stages get repetitive anyhow =P

In Sonic 2 is different for me, SRB2's last special stage is ALOT harder (I almost made it in the first time with Sonic)! Well, I capture the emeralds in SRB2 for features and Super Sonic, in another classic games is for Super Sonic or a good ending, and I enjoy the special stages so much

Super/Hyper forms in S3K were really quite excessive and only Sonic's were really interesting anyhow.

Yup

we are indeed ignoring S3K's absurd listing of super and hyper forms entirely.

But I just wanted the Super Form option (Single Player, not match or ctf) for WADs! I'm not asking for Super Tails and Super Knuckles

Increasingly over the past few years, character WADs have basically all had the "go Super" feature. Just go through the archived files and you'll see every character ever could, including both characters that had a legitimate reason (Shadow, Blaze) and characters that wouldn't remotely have any context for it, like the MS Paint drawings and sprite rips. The only characters that couldn't were Tails and Knuckles. By removing super forms from all the other characters, Sonic gets his cool signature special ability back, putting the "Sonic" back into "Sonic Robo Blast 2" and making Sonic special again.
Ew, I remember that

Personally I don't think that super forms should be in 1p. Like d00d64 said Tails and Knuckles has it easy. Also it prevents over powered wads from getting even more over powered.

The reason why we changed this is to go back to the Sonic 2 design of Super, where it's something cool and special that only Sonic can do. Tails doesn't get awesome Super abilities.

You forgot that knuckles could also turn super using the chaos emeralds in Sonic 2 (/w Sonic and knuckles expansion of course)

Yes, but that's not "Sonic the Hedgehog 2" it's Knuckles in Sonic 2. What I think Mystic means is, try playing Sonic 2 as Sonic. Then play as Tails. They are exactly the same in speed and jump. But Sonic gets a little extra power of Tails and that's his super form.

Also, check Sonic 3's rules (Not S3K). Still, Sonic can go Super, Tails can't. It was Sonic and Knuckles that introduced everyone ELSE being able to go Super, and I personally think that was a big mistake.

One thing in Sonic 2 which I didn't get is that Tails could fly while he was with Sonic but NOT on his own. Seriously, that doesn't really make sense WHATSOEVER.

Well considering he can also fly through walls when he's along with Sonic, I think that's the least of his worries =P

Not to mention he's essentially immortal, can't break containers, all rings he collects magically transfers to Sonic... ect.

Also, check Sonic 3's rules (Not S3K). Still, Sonic can go Super, Tails can't. It was Sonic and Knuckles that introduced everyone ELSE being able to go Super, and I personally think that was a big mistake.

Alright, but Knuckles shoud still be able to turn super since he's the Master Emerald guardian, thus being MORE special than Sonic.
In the gameplay perspective, everyone should turn super because IT'S FUN. =(

here is the way i look at it:

why does anybody care what people do in non netgame single player with there wads? you have to unlock the "get all emeralds" secret, and i bet that it would be easy to remove the emeralds from the "objectplace" menu. it doesn't hurt other peoples gameplay because they are playing alone. (just keep tails and knuckles from being super)

as for netgames, here is when you disable super forms in coop.

Yes, that's the reasoning from S3K, but we're not using that design intentionally. Super Tails and Knuckles weren't very interesting in S3K. Super Sonic is the only one that ever had a separate sprite, and was always the interesting one. Super Tails and Knuckles are in SRB2 for match because it wouldn't be particularly fair if only Sonic could go super there, but in single player, Sonic is by far the hardest character to play as, and Super is your reward for using him.

in single player, Sonic is by far the hardest character to play as, and Super is your reward for using him.

thats not to say that there are no wads worthy of the same kind of situation. not every wad is overpowered. you could just make it so that a character can only go super if they have stats within a certain range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back