[Open Assets] Sonic w/ shield abilities a la S3&K (v1.6)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Abilities:
No shield - Insta-shield
Attraction shield - Double jump w/ acceleration
Armageddon shield - Double ability, first propels downward and bounces to the height of a normal jump, second propels upward
Force shield - Bounce off the ground a little higher than a normal jump would allow
Elemental shield - Thok that releases flame trails and removes zmom
Whirlwind shield - Ignore gravity as long as jump is held for 4 seconds
Pity shield - Fall switch (FixedInt(player.speed) / 15 + 1)

v1.1
Fixes some oversights with the Armageddon shield and the Force shield's abilities when dealing with slime. They now push you back to the surface if you use their abilities and have been in the slime for 2 seconds. As an added bonus to the Armageddon shield, it can use the second thok infinitely if the player is being pushed up to the surface.

The Whirlwind shield now has a time limit on its use, which is four seconds. Note that it's only two when underwater.
There is now a penalty for tapping the jump button in hopes of extending horizontal distance. The penalty subtracts a second.

The Elemental shield no longer spawns flames at all when underwater.
--------
v1.2
Cleaned up the script, tinkered with some values, and small gameplay changes. It's hopefully easier to read now and slightly smaller.
--------
v1.3
Added Super ability.
Instantly spindash at maximum speed even while already moving.
Midair ability is an aerial spindash.
Keep spindash while jumping and landing by holding the spin button.
--------
v1.5
Code optimisation:
AbilitySpecial, JumpSpecial, MobjThinker hooks, etc

New features in shield abilities include:
Insta-shield
Attraction shield's double jump giving a boost in momentum
Elemental shield features a hanging effect while thokking
Armageddon shield now has the second ability as the character's normal ability rather than forcing to thok
Force shield's downward propulsion nerfed; damaged Force shield is replaced with Pity shield
Whirlwind shield now restricts jumpspin and jumpspin is automatically executed after breaching limit; underwater does not nerf the limit anymore; penalty is now double increment of the normal rate rather than a flat increase; effects to show when the timer is almost off(different underwater and not because bubbles don't appear out of water)
Pity shield now uses FixedInt(player.speed) / 15 + 1 to denote how many times fall switch can be used
--------
v1.5a
Insta-shield radius increased
Fixed bouncing animation bug with nospinjump
Fixed skidding bug while bouncing
Bouncing now works differently; height can be controlled by holding jump: this means a need to hold jump to reach maximum height
Very slightly smaller filesize

v1.6
Visual flair:
Instashield: Metal Sonic shield
Attraction shield: Super spark
Force shield (and Armageddon shield by extension): Bubbles
Elemental shield: Thok trails and flames
Whirlwind shield: Black smoke

Any shields with abilities modelled after any of S3&K's have their respective sounds.

Gameplay changes:
Armageddon shield now has the second ability as an upward propulsion thok.
Armageddon shield's multi-ability while rising up from slime removed; finicky and unnecessary as well as incompatible with the new change.
Super Sonic abilities removed.
Any explicit nospinjump support removed.

And a few under the hood changes(which resulted in smaller filesize).

Bug(s):
Elemental shield thokking into a spring will cancel out the spring's momentum.
Thokking with elemental shield too close to the ground will put Sonic into rolling animation.

By the way, as I've come upon an instance of this not being practiced, I'd like to get a mention if this script is used, and for the latest version to be used.

Attachments

• srb20001.gif
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,352
  • srb20002.gif
    4.2 MB · Views: 1,198
  • srb20003.gif
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,050
  • srb20007.gif
    5.9 MB · Views: 1,064
  • srb20008.gif
    2.2 MB · Views: 943
  • srb20009.gif
    4.2 MB · Views: 909
  • s3kshabls.lua
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,283
Last edited:
Good concepts that are well-coded and provide a nice addition to gameplay. The Whirlwind shield's new ability does seem a bit overpowered with no limits to how long or how often it can be performed in a jump, though. Regardless, welcome to Releases!

[/QUOTE] The Whirlwind shield's new ability does seem a bit overpowered with no limits to how long or how often it can be performed in a jump, though.[/QUOTE] Your right. It does look over powered.

This is known as "fun-time" for me, Especially with the Whirlwind and Armageddon shields. But I'm gonna agree with RedEnchilada with the Whirlwind, It seems that the Whirlwind shield is TOO overpowered.

Just a suggestion, but if this does not do it already, maybe have the shield abilities activate based on ability? Such as those with Speed/Homing Thok, jump boost, or Telekinesis would get the extra S3&K like abilities, but those with characters abilities such as fly or glide would just get the vanilla shield abilities?

The script doesn't check for abilities.
If you want an ability without a shield, change the CA_NONE in the fifth line.

Maybe I was not clear enough, in which I apologize. What I mean is have a way for the script to check what ability the skin has, then depending on that ability give them the shield abilities in this script, similar to how the Buff Gauge mod gives you certain stat buffs based on Character ability 1. So then, if a character starts with the Speed Thok like Sonic, or an ability equally unhelpful in gaining height with hitting jump twice like Homing Thok or Jump Boost, they would get the bonus abilities from the shields to overide their normal abilities, as it does Sonic. Likewise, if the character starts with an ability like fly, glide, or double jump, the character would just get the normal shield.

EX: Metal Sonic's ability is jump boost. So getting the Force Shield allows him to bounce.
Likewise, Metal Knux (if he ever gets ported to 2.1) had Glide & Climb, so getting the force shield just gives him the normal 2 free hits without losing rings or a life.

So is the "make everyone including Jet and Eggpack use rolling animations when they jump and spin" code gone for the new update?

Last edited:
I downloaded the attachment with the version that should have fixed the first problem, and I could not reproduce, which leads me to think that you're using it along with some other Lua script. If that's the case, you should have expected errors to occur.

Okay, this works amazingly, however, i have one big problem. The insta-shield's attack range needs to be much larger than the current range, it's more of a quick invincible spawn.

This is a very fun mod, but it annoys me just hearing the Thok sound for some of the abilities, so maybe you could use the S3&K or Generations sounds? Also, in Sonic 3D Blast, a gold shield would grant the Homing Attack, so you could include an option to switch out the Pity Shield ability for that, rather than the Fall Switch. You could also make the Force Shield only last one hit, but hey, thats my opinion.

I noticed the thok sound was a little inappropriate for some shields, and I'd changed them a few months prior, when I was working on an update, but then (un)productivity struck. About the Homing Attack thing, that would be boring and unoriginal as it's already an ability that can be used with charability. The fall switch works, I think, rather like Jasper's 2.1 ability for crossing large lateral distances but uses the player's speed to determine how many times fall switch can be used. The gimmicky nature of it is more entertaining than the Homing Attack(which it is incompatible with).

Oh, and I finished the update after seeing your post.
v1.6 released.

About the Homing Attack thing, that would be boring and unoriginal as it's already an ability that can be used with charability. The fall switch works, I think, rather like Jasper's 2.1 ability for crossing large lateral distances but uses the player's speed to determine how many times fall switch can be used. The gimmicky nature of it is more entertaining than the Homing Attack(which it is incompatible with).

I just thought about putting it in with a command to change the ability, but you're right - Fall Switch IS more useful than the Homing Attack, and in more places. And thanks for adding the extra effects, they're quite nice.

Last edited:
You could also make the Force Shield only last one hit
Forgot to address this. Why bother to have the Force shield last one hit? That would be really confusing since in vanilla it lasts two hits. Besides, it's a convenient medium for the Pity shield in vanilla single player maps.

Also, nice to know that the visuals are appreciated. Hope the Pity shield and Armageddon shield not having new sounds or visual effects doesn't detract too much, couldn't find anything appropriate.

The Whirlwind Shield may be broken...
Sonic may use the ability just fine,
lzbK6fl.gif

but when I use it with any custom character, such as my Classic Sonic character, it doesn't work as it should.
dQOchKE.gif

However, when I load the script separately as well, it works just fine.
clO4Na6.gif

As a side note, the jump sound effect shouldn't play when using certain shields.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back