Resource icon

[Open Assets] Tape Loop Training

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Kimmy

Hello! Here is a script for single-player Kart practice that I've been working on, in a similar vein to Rapidgame7's infinite laps mod.

This only works for single-player, local games. Network play and split screen are not supported.

⏯ Play:
While racing, all of your play is automatically recorded to a tape.

⏪ Rewind:
At any point, you can rewind time to jump back to an earlier point. You can return to any previous location whether it's just before a tight turn a few moments ago or a few laps back. You can go all the way back to the start of the race.

⏺ Overdub:
Every time you jump back, your previous session shows up as a new ghost so you can quickly compare different strategies.
attachment.php

🔂 Tape loop:
Rehearse tricky parts with tape loop mode, allowing you to quickly practice a section over and over. Every audition accumulates as another ghost.
attachment.php

Usage:
  • CUSTOM1: Hold to rewind time.
  • CUSTOM2: Tape loop mode.
    • First press: Set start point
    • Second press: Set end point and start looping
    • Third press: Return to normal mode
    • During tape loop mode, tap CUSTOM1 to jump to the start of the loop.

Changelog:
  • v0: 2020-02-03
    • initial release to discord
  • v1: 2020-02-10
    • ghosts are now semitransparent and colored properly
    • start boost status and boost pad boost status are now snapshotted properly
    • limited compatibility with KL_InfiniteLaps.wad: effectively, our clock resets to 0 every new lap. you can't rewind past the start of any lap, and in practice, things will bug out around the first lap's checkpoint if you try. I still can't recommend mixing these mods, but basic functionality should be there.

Attachments

• kart0004-out.gif
    kart0004-out.gif
    7.5 MB · Views: 3,823
  • kart0007-out.gif
    kart0007-out.gif
    7.1 MB · Views: 3,685
  • KL_tapedeck-v1.lua
    9.5 KB · Views: 539
Last edited:
I would so love to use this to practice for Record Attack and full game speedruns! Unfortunately, loading the lua seems to disable all item boxes for some reason. Can this be looked at? Shoe boosts are very important for labbing tracks.

Oh thank you so much, I've been asking for a 'Save State'-like system for ages to practice nasty SPB chase turns (Daytona's being all the way at the end *sucks* for practice, as an example). Then you went and made all these cool additions with the 'overdub' and loop system as well :o

Looking forward to giving this a shot~

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back