2014, the Year of 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yes, speaking of that damaging water from ERZ2, does that stuff still act like an instant-death pit, or does it deal normal damage now?

M.V: In terms of the bonus levels.

NAGZ is getting some tweaks and becoming AGZ once more instead.

ATZ (Azure Temple Zone) is being added in. (may lord have mercy on our lungs)

I'm assuming MKBZ and SRB1 are still there too, but I'm not 100 percent sure.

and spring hill zone, whilst there's no official word, i imagine will be cut due to it being ACZ's special stage now, though they may retain the old one too.

Yeah, I refer to the special stages.

Was there some improvement?

http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Version_2.1#Special_Stages

The current Special Stages have been replaced by single-mare NiGHTS tracks, each of which is themed after one of the main Single Player zones (excluding Dark City Zone and Grand Eggship Zone). These stages cannot be explored in 3D mode; instead, the player will be directly transformed into Super Sonic upon entering a special stage, and once the player runs out of time, the level will end. Instead of Rings, the player must collect blue spheres to destroy the Ideya Capture, while the emblems have been replaced with Rings. The blue sphere requirements vary between stages. The difficulty curve of these stages will be similar to the one of the current special stages, with the first stage being practically impossible to lose and the last one being extremely difficult. Because NiGHTS is rather complicated, the first few stages will allow the player to gradually get used to the different mechanics such as paralooping, dashing and the power-ups, while the later stages will require understanding of these mechanics and skill at using them.
The second special stage, Toxic Plateau Zone, has been released on the SRB2 Message Board by Rob as a preview. The preview has a stricter time limit than the version in 2.1 and uses the graphics of the old, pre-2.1 slime. Additionally, screenshots of the first five special stages have been released. Cavern Fortress Zone, the CEZ-themed special stage, is based on the track of Slumber Circuit Zone, which itself has been removed from the Circuit rotation. Among its obstacles are moving bookcases that block the player's path. Dusty Wasteland Zone, the ACZ-themed special stage, is based on a shortened version of Spring Hill Zone, with some areas like the lake being removed. Most of the challenges in Egg Satellite Zone, the ERZ-themed special stage, come from the hazardous layout, which replicates many of the gimmicks found in ERZ itself. Touching one of these hazards stops the player and makes them lose 5 seconds off the timer. The rotating laser at the beginning of the right path in ERZ2 will be reused for Egg Satellite Zone, albeit with four blades instead of two. The player has to complete a full circle around the laser.
Unlike 2.0's special stages, each NiGHTS special stage has its own unique level name. All but one of the new special stages use music from Mystic Realm's soundtrack; the current Special Stage theme will become an unused track.

Last edited:
Yeah, I refer to the special stages.

Was there some improvement?

Instead of collecting the required amount of rings on foot, the player will collect the required amount of rings flying around in seven brand new NiGHTS levels.

Am I the only one that finds the Wind Tunnel to be a good gimmick? Fair enough multiplayer makes it a bitch to beat, but on single player it's not too difficult to go by. Admittedly I died a few times first try, but seriously, I always found it good.

Also most of the difficulty removing is a bit far. Fair enough I'm glad the THZ boss arena is bigger for the pit outside of the cart (Right?) which is a good thing as well as the water rising room (I think that was made so you could get back up to the floating platforms easier?), but slowing the crushers in DSZ2 down? Why? There's nothing wrong with the speed, you just take your time if you don't think you can do it quick enough, and if you're good, you can get through the entire section without stopping for air. ...If you're referring to the part where you have to go from gap to gap in the big giant crusher, I mean.

Of course, I don't MIND these changes too much, it's more why fix something that isn't broken?

Personally I don't like the NIGHTS mode, since there was it gets better then I think will be entertaining to get used to and to catch the blue spheres.

But the question is: Will there be the sprites of Tails and Knuckles in that way? With Knuckles it will be red spheres?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back