"Sonic Colors Blast 2" Wisps; relics from a 2.1.0 Lua age! (s_scb_wisps-v0.10.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.S.

Formerly Inuyasha, Retired Staff
"Sonic Colors Blast 2" Wisps; relics from a 2.1.0 Lua age! (s_scb_wisps-v0.10.wad)

You probably remember this script; though never released publicly before, it was used in lots of Animated GIFs showing the power of Lua in SRB2 2.1 before its release. Well, people have been telling me to put it up somewhere for a while, so here it is, in all of its unfinished glory. There were some touch-ups recently, but for the most part everything is as it was two years ago.

The Rocket and Laser wisps are the two primary, fully functional and tested wisps. Empty shells exist for a few others that never got started; mostly due to lack of motivation due to lack of sprites. There's a few other secrets and changes to gameplay; for instance, Super form is triggered in the same way as using a wisp instead of being bound to double-jumping.

This also was the first mod (and seemingly is still one of the few mods) to completely take the HUD into its own hands -- everything in the HUD is custom drawn by Lua scripting to give the game more of a "Colors"-like feel. This is the script the "Adventure Monitors" script was originally designed for, though of course it's designed to work standalone as well. There are a few other scripts designed for this mod that I might release standalone in the future (read: automatic Splitscreen handling).

NOTES:
  • M is automatically bound to "objectplace -silent" so objects can be placed quickly.
  • N is automatically bound to give 49 rings and all emeralds. This even works in splitscreen mode.
  • Fire Ring is used to trigger most things in this mod. (Remember, custom action buttons didn't exist when this script was originally written.)
  • A lot of things are unpolished, especially sprite-wise. Yours truly has talent for HUD pixel art at best, and that's debatable.
  • Lack of sprite work is killer to my motivation. I might pick this up again if I do get good sprites to use, but until that time I'll probably be polishing up what does exist already.
  • No, I'm not adding a boost, or Sonic Colors' gameplay mechanics. I was never aiming to accurately recreate Colors, okay?

As a final little thing, with the way this mod is written it is possible for another mod to extend it to add more wisps. I'm considering writing a little guide for how to do this, exactly, but that's something for the future.

Attachments

• srb20086.png
    srb20086.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 3,392
  • srb20087.png
    srb20087.png
    48.5 KB · Views: 2,528
  • srb20088.png
    srb20088.png
    24 KB · Views: 1,854
  • srb20091.png
    srb20091.png
    46.8 KB · Views: 3,171
  • s_scb_wisps-v0.10.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 3,419
  • autosplit.png
    autosplit.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 2,101
Last edited:
I've had a little play with this now, and except having to use Fire/Throw Ring instead of a Custom button (which is due to this being made before the Custom keys were added), it works really well.
The Orange Rocket works extremely well from what I've tested, and the Cyan Laser works really well too. And I guess Void works well too, although I have no idea if the Void in this is all custom-made or based on Sonic Colours DS, as I don't have that game. But either way, the Wisps work really well.
One thing I really admire as well is the smaller HUD when playing in split-screen, although in my opinion it's maybe a little too small (maybe 75% scale would be better than 50%?).

But either way... Shouldn't this be marked as re-usable, or are people not allowed to use it in their own maps? And in the case of the latter, why consider writing a guide on making custom Wisps using other mods? (If that sounded rude, I apologize. I'm just curious, not trying to be rude.)

For a moment there, I thought someone just modified my wisps/colours gameplay modification, but when I looked at the OP again, I saw it was just something else unrelated. Still, nice work on some of these wisps!

But either way... Shouldn't this be marked as re-usable, or are people not allowed to use it in their own maps? And in the case of the latter, why consider writing a guide on making custom Wisps using other mods? (If that sounded rude, I apologize. I'm just curious, not trying to be rude.)

The intent is to allow people to extend the wad using separate files, not by modifying the existing code. The way the code is written makes this very easy to pull off, as all you need are sprites and an additional script lump per wisp.

The intent is to allow people to extend the wad using separate files, not by modifying the existing code. The way the code is written makes this very easy to pull off, as all you need are sprites and an additional script lump per wisp.
Yes, but if it's not re-usable, doesn't that mean "you're not allowed to use this in your content", including both extensions to it and the code just as it is? Or am I just failing to understand what "re-usable content" means?

Yes, but if it's not re-usable, doesn't that mean "you're not allowed to use this in your content", including both extensions to it and the code just as it is? Or am I just failing to understand what "re-usable content" means?
You're allowed to extend it all you want in your own mods. You are not allowed to redistribute it in your own content without permission.

Wolfy hit the nail on the head. If it's not re-usable, that means you have to specifically ask the author's permission to directly modify or redistribute their mod in any way. If it is re-usable, then you don't have to ask for permission to do anything to it but you should still give credit where it is due. For example, even if Team Smiles wasn't actively encouraging people to make levels for Thokker, if people want to make additional levels then they're entitled to do so. (We do encourage it, but it's a what if.)

Last edited:
Yeah, I figured it was something along those lines after Wolfy's previous message. The thing I was/am wondering is "if someone makes a new Wisp, some/most of this Wad is required for it to work" as well as about if someone made a map which utilizes these Wisps. Neither of which I think I'll be able to achieve properly, but I might try some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back