Sonic the Hedgehog *Level Creator*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wombatwarlord777

"...What?"
http://www.playsega.com/editors/

So, uh, Sega has released a 2D Sonic level editor. It features badniks and gimmicks of Green Hill Zone. You can share your levels on Sega's website.

Playing other people's levels is free. To create your own levels, however, you must have a paid VIP account, which blows. Hard :(

So, have at it.

Who ever programed the how thing did a mess of a job. The slopes and programed bad so that you can only move up them if your going terminal, and theres many collision bugs.

Game seems to have a decent sonic 1 clone engine. Not at the level of the Real Sonic 1, but decent for what I expected for a flash based or internet based engine.

Last edited:
I almost want a VIP membership just for the awesome Saturn controller and access to all the stuff. Seems like fun for a stupid little casual site.

Just get a 3 month membership. Since the controller is 15 bucks, you could just think of it. "You buy the controller, you get free membership"

Though, the LE is quite limited and boring TBH.

Hey, we could rip the tiles and make something better with them. $10 The Spriters Resource gets them in the next update or 2. (Not a real gamble)

At least the scenery is kinda pretty. This "jeweled-plant" theme is pretty weird, but it hasn't been done before.

The music sounds as if it was ripped directly from Sonic Chronicles.

Hey, we could rip the tiles and make something better with them. $10 The Spriters Resource gets them in the next update or 2. (Not a real gamble)

IIRC, those textures are just recolored textures from Sonic 1. (That water level)

Check the SFGHQ

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

IIRC, those textures are just recolored textures from Sonic 1. (That water level)

So? Hill Top Zone was just a Emerald Hill recolor and it still got ripped.

Edit: Thank you automerge.

EDIT 2: They just got a Good one. Go play Sonic Retro act 2

Last edited:
Here is a screenshot of "that water level".

LabyrinthZone02.gif

The only resemblance I see between this and the graphics used in the Flash game are the rocks. Aside from that and the grass (which I'm sure is ripped from Marble Zone) everything seems to be new. If not new, then modified significantly. You can't really write this off as a mere recolor.

I'd love to see this art used in a hack, if only because it'll probably never be seen again outside this little Flash game. And the engine really doesn't do it justice, it's only slightly less buggy than Sonic Genesis. In my opinion, this is a rare stroke of artistic genius, and exactly the kind of thing I want to see in a new Sonic game.

I'd love to see this art used in a hack, if only because it'll probably never be seen again outside this little Flash game. And the engine really doesn't do it justice, it's only slightly less buggy than Sonic Genesis. In my opinion, this is a rare stroke of artistic genius, and exactly the kind of thing I want to see in a new Sonic game.

Heck, if Sega made a full, downloadable game with this type of Genesis graphics, they'd probably rope in their older hard-core fans, as well as their younger target audience. Surely, such a game would be fairly cheap to produce. And they could lift a game engine from either Sonic 1, 2, or 3+K and get perfectly good physics and speed (couldn't they?).

A bigger issue would be level design. Dimps is used to making levels centered around speed, and I'm not sure anybody at Sega could convincingly mimick classic-style level design today. Still, the thought of such a game is exciting.

Here is a screenshot of "that water level".

LabyrinthZone02.gif

The only resemblance I see between this and the graphics used in the Flash game are the rocks. Aside from that and the grass (which I'm sure is ripped from Marble Zone) everything seems to be new. If not new, then modified significantly. You can't really write this off as a mere recolor.

Why don't they use the Sonic 1 engine?...... Anyways, the points you made we're the only things I had in mind. :)

So? Hill Top Zone was just a Emerald Hill recolor and it still got ripped.

Ha, good point!

If you've been paying attention, you'd know that you can't make something so complex and accurate with simple Flash tools.

You are right, I didn't read the second paragraph correctly.

Though, wasn't the sonic advance (newgrounds) game made in flash? And had very good/accurate physics?

I'm sure it actually is possible to make an accurate Genesis-like Sonic engine in Flash, but this likely wasn't a very high budget creation. Flash is hugely underrated in this regard. Regardless, I think Java would be a better choice if they were aiming for accuracy (incidentally, if I'm not mistaken the Java-based emulator jEnesis is used to run the various Sega Genesis titles they have on the very same site). Flash always seems to perform badly with anything besides vector graphics.

Well, if you call offbeat collision detection, going through walls and rails not always working properly good and accurate physics, then yes.

LOL, my major problem was the rails. I never went through walls and the offbeat collision....?

I'm sure it actually is possible to make an accurate Genesis-like Sonic engine in Flash, but this likely wasn't a very high budget creation.

Yeah, I guess so. Hmmm, I hope they update the level editor. The motorbike one was cool.

I wonder how the tiles would hold up as SRB2 1.09.4 and 2.0 textures. (both versions listed due to different pallets)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back