Problem with USB Flash Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kopper

Does not use Sonic.
To elaborate, this is not a problem with getting SRB2 to run on one, so it doesn't go in the Help topic. This is just something that has really freaking annoyed me recently.

I know the disks are working fine. They read fine everywhere, and write just like they're meant to... except on my computer in the living room. Every time I try to write files, after a little while, it just... stops. It hangs for a while, then throws up an error about how I specified an invalid path (yeah, right...) and pretty much dismounts itself, showing as a 0 byte drive. This seems to be semi-random.

Unplug it and replug it, and it appears to work fine, until I try writing again. Oddly enough, my PSP is immune to this problem, and works like a charm. It also (thank whoever you want to) does nothing to my hard disk.

Do I need to do something with the drivers? Because I don't want to do that on a hunch. I scanned them with AVG, and they're fine, it seems.

Your flash drive is probably corrupt. How old is it?

Try to check it for errors:
1) In Windows Explorer right click on your flash drive icon
2) Select properties all the way on the bottom
3) Go to the tools tab
4) click on the check now box
5) I think you'll know what to do from there ;)

If everything is ok, it's probably a virus (just because you scanned it with AVG doesn't mean that your computer is tidy clean. Different Anti-viruses have different lists of viruses that they check for).

I had this issue, it was a bug in my motherboard's USB chipset. I think in the end I disabled USB 2.0. Let me guess, Kingston Data Traveller?

Your flash drive is probably corrupt.

My flash drives aren't corrupt. The issue is only on my computer, and the PSP still works. (Probably because it has it's own protocols for writing to the disk, that supersede the computer's)

And I also said I know they're working fine. lern2readmebbeh? *shot*

I had this issue, it was a bug in my motherboard's USB chipset. I think in the end I disabled USB 2.0. Let me guess, Kingston Data Traveller?
No, no Kingston Data Traveller. Sandisk Cruzer Blade 4GB and an ancient (but still top form) Integral 1GB.

Yeah, I might try disabling 2.0, at least in the front ports. (If I can disable it for them and not the back, if not, guess I'll have to do the whole shebang)

EDIT: that did the trick, just took out the enhanced host controller in Device Manager. Thanks, Cue. Writing more slowly is definitely more fun then not working.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back