Resource icon
This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

cookiefonster

Wiki Admin
Since February 2020, I've been working on making 8-bit covers of SRB2's soundtrack and posting them to YouTube. Alongside those covers, I've been working on a WAD file so you can hear these covers in-game! All the covers were made in Famitracker with the VRC6 expansion soundchip, making them accurate to an NES soundchip extended with two additional pulse channels and a sawtooth channel. I transcribed almost every song entirely by ear, except for a few that had tempo changes, where I partly used the MIDIs for reference.

You can hear almost all of the covers on this YouTube playlist and on two Bandcamp albums (Volume 1, Volume 2).

The music is available both in OGG and NSF format! OGG is if you have the music preference set to digital, and NSF is if you have it set to MIDI. NSF files are very small (even smaller than MIDIs), but I don't recommend you use NSF files with this mod unless your computer is too slow to handle streamed audio. This is because with NSF files, the music restarts after being interrupted, and there is an annoying bug in Famitracker's NSF exporting that causes notes in the sawtooth channel to sometimes linger.

This mod covers the complete soundtrack! Well, with a small asterisk: there's a few unused tracks and songs that were never updated for 2.2 that I didn't feel a need to include in this mod. I worked hard on these covers and I hope you enjoy this mod!

Code:
NOTE: * indicates the cover is slightly edited from the YouTube upload

O_ACZ1
O_ACZ2
O_AGZ
O_AGZALT
O_ATZ*
O_BCZ1*
O_BCZ2 [Anticipation, after the Metal Sonic fight]
O_BHZ
O_CEZ1*
O_CEZ2
O_CEZR [Bridge collapse]
O_DSZ1*
O_DSZ2
O_ERZ1
O_ERZ2
O_FHZ
O_GFZ1
O_GFZ2
O_GFZALT
O_HAUNTD
O_MARIO1 [Pipe Towers]
O_MARIO2 [Pipe Towers underground]
O_MP_AIR
O_MP_DOM
O_MP_FIR
O_MP_GHZ
O_MP_ICE
O_MP_RAI
O_MP_WT2
O_RVZ1
O_RVZ2* [Infernal Cavern in the sound test]
O_SPEC1*
O_SPEC2
O_SPEC3*
O_SPEC4*
O_SPEC5
O_SPEC6*
O_SPEC7
O_SPEC8* [Marathon Run menu]
O_THZ1
O_THZ2
O_TUTORL
O_VSBOSS
O_VSBRAK
O_VSFANG
O_VSMETL
O__1UP
O__CHSEL*
O__CLEAR
O__CONTI
O__CREDS
O__DROWN
O__ENDB
O__ENDG (no sound effects yet)
O__GOVER
O__INTER
O__INV
O__MINV [Mario invincible]
O__NITAT [NiGHTS attack]
O__RECAT [Record attack]
O__SHOES
O__SUPER
O__TITLE

Version 1.0
  • initial release
Version 1.1
  • added Egg Rock Zone Act 2, Anticipation, Pipe Towers Zone (ERZ2, BCZ2, PTZ respectively)
  • very small fixes to Red Volcano Zone Act 2 (RVZ2) and The Speedway (BCZ1)
  • tracks in the WAD file are now sorted alphabetically, the same way they are in SRB2's music.dta
Version 1.2
  • added Vs. Black Eggman, Haunted Heights Zone, Starman (VSBRAK, HAUNTD, _MINV respectively)
  • small fixes to Castle Eggman Zone Act 1 (CEZ1) and Flooded Cove Zone (SS3)
Version 1.2.1
  • added NiGHTS Attack (_NITAT)
  • small fix to Flooded Cove Zone (SS3) for real this time, forgot to include the updated files for it last time
Version 1.3
  • added Super Sonic, Ending, Aerial Garden Zone (_SUPER, _ENDB, AGZ respectively)
  • _ENDG is currently the same as _ENDB; sound effects have not yet been added
  • very small change to Deep Sea Zone Act 1 (DSZ1)
Version 1.4
  • added Multiplayer Intermission, Credits, Record Attack (_INTER, _CREDS, _RECAT respectively)
  • substantial changes to Red Volcano Zone Act 1 (RVZ1)
Version 1.5 onwards
  • see the Updates tab

Last edited:
I couldn't resist doing a campaign run before releasing this. These are such lovely covers! Some of my favorites include Deep Sea 2, Castle Eggman 2, and the invincibility/speed shoes jingles.

Welcome to releases!

While I appreciate that "8-bits soundtrack" I kinda expected to hear Master System/Game Gear soundchip music instead of the famicom.

Version 1.1 of this mod is out! Features three new covers (Egg Rock Zone Act 2, Anticipation, Pipe Towers Zone overworld), plus a few very minor changes to existing covers.

While I absolutely love the work put into this, I have to wonder how it would sound if you tried to go without the expansion chip... or even the triangle channel. Essentially, a vanilla NES cart, and then something for the Gameboy.

I mean, the Gameboy could technically have expansion chips, but... nevermind, I'm going off topic. I absolutely love the work you put into this.

While I absolutely love the work put into this, I have to wonder how it would sound if you tried to go without the expansion chip... or even the triangle channel. Essentially, a vanilla NES cart, and then something for the Gameboy.

I mean, the Gameboy could technically have expansion chips, but... nevermind, I'm going off topic. I absolutely love the work you put into this.
I've considered trying out SRB2 covers without the expansion chip! Because of the sound limitations of a plain NES chip and the complexity of SRB2's songs, it sounds like quite a tall order to do pure 2A03 covers compared to what I'm currently doing.

Version 1.2 is out! Features another three new covers (Vs. Black Eggman, Haunted Heights, Starman) and another few small updates to existing covers.

Version 1.2.1 is out! Released yesterday but I didn't post saying so. Added NiGHTS Attack music, and actually put in the small update to Flooded Cove unlike last time.

Great work! I really enjoyed these tracks on youtube and im happy that they're now implemented into the game.

Do I have to say that this is very cool? I am a huge fan of 8 bit soundtracks. It reminds me a lot of the soundtrack from my favorite game - Shovel knight. (although I will say that the soundtracks there are much "cleaner")

This remix is GFZ1. He is awesome. CEZ2 - just incredible.

I'm really looking forward to remixing the entire soundtrack. I really want to hear the Azure Temple.

The only thing I want to say is that I don't really like some of the sounds in DSZ1. Perhaps this is due to the fact that I play at a very high volume, but some sounds are too "cavernous" (I don't know how to say it correctly) and they put too much pressure on my ears.

Once again, great work!

Do I have to say that this is very cool? I am a huge fan of 8 bit soundtracks. It reminds me a lot of the soundtrack from my favorite game - Shovel knight. (although I will say that the soundtracks there are much "cleaner")
The Shovel Knight comparison doesn't surprise me—like my SRB2 8-bit covers, the soundtrack was composed using the VRC6 soundchip while refraining from using DPCM samples. I haven't played Shovel Knight, but I am a major fan of its soundtrack and have been loosely inspired by it at times.
This remix is GFZ1. He is awesome. CEZ2 - just incredible.
Both of those are easily among my best covers in this mod.
I'm really looking forward to remixing the entire soundtrack. I really want to hear the Azure Temple.
Azure Temple is actually the one song which I'm not quite sure how to tackle for this mod. I'll have to think of some way to faithfully translate it into 8-bit while still sounding good at some point.
The only thing I want to say is that I don't really like some of the sounds in DSZ1. Perhaps this is due to the fact that I play at a very high volume, but some sounds are too "cavernous" (I don't know how to say it correctly) and they put too much pressure on my ears.
Perhaps you're referring to the arpeggios used in the cover? Rapidly alternating notes to imitate the sound of a chord. I'm not too fond of how chiptune artists tend to overuse arpeggios, and while I've tried to refrain from using arpeggios much in my covers, you're right that I may have gone a bit overboard with them in DSZ1. I've considered going back and updating my covers, and have for a few minor mistakes, but for now my priority with this mod is making the ones I still haven't yet.
Once again, great work!
Thanks! I appreciate it a lot.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back