Homing attack removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

right_in_the_tockles

please unban my discord :(
SRB2 has completely changed the way I think about 3D Sonic. It has proper, functioning physics that don't need any automation whatsoever, it gives us directly functional control over the camera in a way no Sonic game has even down to the gamepad controls complimenting the use of camera and movement in tandem complete with the camera snapping for things like springs, and best of all, there's no homing attack. The homing attack is cheap for combat, intrusive to the moveset, and just not fun to use in general. Any mod that introduces it has to make it look pretty so that people won't complain.

SRB2 is the antithesis to the reasons the homing attack needs to exist, and yet, people still put it in their mods. Which could be fine, if they didnt literally force it to replace basic actions, such as:
Chaos Snap
Grapple Punch
Enerbeam
Walljump

is there some kind of addon (or would it be possible to make one) that, if it had priority over these ones, could remove the functions that make homing attacks possible in the first place? I understand that I could individually go in and delete/edit some files, but there are countless mods with this tacky addition and it would be far, far too tedious to do that.

Last edited:
Why not remove airdashing and homing entirely and load Classic.wad?</s>

On a more helpful note, learning how to remove the homing attack in lua is fairly simple; but making the game still perform the action you want instead of it is difficult.

Last edited:
Wow, that's real rude of you to just stomp on others' mods like that. Especially since characters like Neo Sonic and Shadow fix one of Homing Attack's biggest problems; the total removal of momentum on hit. You just pop the foe at homing attack speed and keep using that speed. If a character is using the homing attack and they're god at dealing with enemies, then that's just one of their pluses. If it takes priority over other actions (Chaos Snap), then that is a designed-in hindrance.

If you don't think its all that fun, then its a "well, that's your opinion" kinda deal. Most of us either like or dont mind the homing attack, and a lot of us are also in the camp that hate the default Speed Thok because it just gives instant free momentum. If you don't like the homing attack, you never have to install a mod with it, and if you don't like it on a character, well too darn bad. That's what the character was built to have, and modifying someone else's character to remove it is incredibly disrespectful.

If you don't think its all that fun, then its a "well, that's your opinion" kinda deal.

Aren't mods opinionated by nature? Why should people have to accept the drawbacks of a mod when they can mod out the parts they don't like?

Because it's still incredibly rude to remove what the mod is intended to do, more so when you vocally express you're going to do it? Even if you're not going to post it.

There are better approaches to expressing your dislike towards a mechanic, like offering a countermeasure that you personally find fun and offering it in a non-hostile way, instead of "this fucking sucks i'm taking it off", you know.

Wow... Just wow... That seems rude don't you think? Did you forget that Homing Attack is on Shadow's moveset on official games? He wouldn't be the same without the homing attack in here. Besides people here are free to do how they want their version of it. If Inazuma wanted for his Shadow to have homing attack then let it have it.

This post inspired me to try it, and it turns out it's possible to remove the homing functionality from three of the four characters you listed using a script containing just a single line of code! So yes, as of like 2 minutes ago there is such an addon. That seems to sufficiently answer the question you asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back