cryptic castle

Status
Not open for further replies.

.hack

ok, first full-length level wad. Open to feedback, email me at <sonic_shyguy at yahoo dot com> or post here.

download here

EDIT: screenshots here :D
Ice area:

Mystic area:

Castle area:

DOUBLE EDIT: created version 1.2, with most of the revisions BZ4 talked about. It's got more rings, less enemies & "cheap shots (deton hitting you as you go around a corner)" is less cramped, the platforms are more in-line, and it's easier to find your way through the level. (just make sure to hit all of the buttons. :D )

download v1.2

THIRD EDIT:
version 1.final
put the teleports back in, not much different from v1.2

download v1.f[/url]

Sounds good I'll try this out, than say what I think about it later.

Edit: Okay I've tested it out, and it was good, so good job on the wad.

Seriously, go level design 101 this. Cruddy platforming, horrid item placement, as well as cramped level design accented with just a tad of repetetiveness.

BlueZero4 said:
Seriously, go level design 101 this. Cruddy platforming, horrid item placement, as well as cramped level design accented with just a tad of repetetiveness.

could you be more specific, please? Your post really tells me nothing about what I need to fix. thanks :D

1. Cruddy Platforming. If I'm going to hit some springs, I'm going to want to align myself so that the springs are between myslef and where I'm going. If that's impossible, I fall to my death. Also, if I can't stay on the skinny platforms, I'm going to die. Please, consider when springs are actually a good idea.

2. Lack of rings. Something tells me I should've been shot to death many a time. Also, give 'em the "Bitset 32" flag to make 'em float.

3. Too many enemies. I don't want to die. I don't think you do either.

4. Cramped level design. A few stickies should help cover this.

5.Repetetivity. Why the heck am I being sent back to where I spawned? What changed? What do I need to do now? I need to push more switches? GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!!

As I've said, Level design 101.

ok

1)I've taken out some springs (yellow one in octagonal ice room, changed some yellow ones to blue ones, etc.). Raised the hight of some floors. made the floating FOFs in the ice pit of death wider

2)Put many more rings in , most notably in the zig-zag part in the brown room, and in the ice room and in the ice room.

3)took out a bunch of enemies everywhere. Mainly the multiple turrets and the sucker-punch buzzes and detons

4)what are stickies?? anyway, made the level larger in general.

5)I set the level to be more linear, you don't teleport back to the spawn point but to the next area. it goes from castle-->brown-->ice-->castle (which is where the end is.)

I'll keep the old wad for those interested, but upload a new one (not yet, still touching up)

Quite frankly, keep all those changes without implimenting the linearity. Linearity sucks. Also, take out the turret and sheilds.

BlueZero4 said:
Quite frankly, keep all those changes without implimenting the linearity. Linearity sucks. Also, take out the turret and sheilds.
1)I have already taken out the sheilds and the turret.

2)By "Linearity", I mean that I made the first teleport to the brown area by the castle button, the second teleport by the second button go to the ice area (not the castle again), and the last teleport go to the castle area and face the end.

And by linearity, I mean ditching the new path idea and going back to the three routes configuration.

Seriosuly, all the other changes were for the better.

your last post seems to contradict your second post.

bluezero4 said:
5.Repetetivity. Why the heck am I being sent back to where I spawned? What changed? What do I need to do now? I need to push more switches? GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!!

nevertheless, I'll create a final version, where I had it set the old way (without the turret)

EDIT: this may have to do with me forgetting to put the player start in the right place.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back