Race Ranks

Lach

he/him
Sonic Team Junior
Kart Krew™️
Judge
I wanted to revisit this someday and make it more efficient, but I haven't touched it in well over a year, so...

This is my race rankings HUD! Inspired by Sonic R, this addon gives you multiple ways to view your rankings in the Competition and Race gametypes. While it technically functions in all race maps, it is primarily designed for and works best in circuit mode.

The primary console variable is raceranks. Here is a list of every value you can set it to:
0 / off – Disables the race ranks HUD entirely. Useful if you find the designs cluttered or if they cause frame drops.

1 / bar – The default value, a vertical bar displaying how far away each player is from the finish line. If the map is a circuit map, the bar will also be split up into segments designated by checkpoints, and a number in the center of each player's marker represents their lap number.
attachment.php

2 / list – A list of the current top 5 racers. Useful for when there are lots of players cluttering the bar, or if you want to get a sense of who you're up against faster.
attachment.php

3 / rank – Displays the numerical ranks only. Useful if the player displays are cluttered but you still want to know which place you're currently in.
attachment.php
The secondary console variable is racesounds. By default, the S3K competition countdown sounds will play when "3, 2, 1, GO!" appears on the screen, and another sound effect plays upon finishing the race. Turn this variable off if you prefer the vanilla soundless behavior.

Finally, this addon supports including a recorded Metal Sonic in the rankings:
attachment.php

attachment.php

The console variable racemetal determines whether or not Metal Sonic is included in the race rankings. This is still a client sided variable, so you don't need to ask a server admin to fiddle with it!

Attachments

• srb20051.png
    srb20051.png
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,530
  • srb20052.png
    srb20052.png
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,464
  • srb20053.png
    srb20053.png
    41 KB · Views: 1,402
  • srb20397.gif
    srb20397.gif
    5.4 MB · Views: 1,583
  • srb20398.gif
    srb20398.gif
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,509
  • raceranks.pk3
    5.2 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
I can't help but feel like I've seen this somewhere before...
I love the idea of this and I feel like i'll be using mode 2 of this a lot on my own servers. Though I wonder if there could be a mode 4 that combines mode 2 and mode 1 but moves the bar to the bottom ala Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heroes, if you still have motivation to work on it that is.

EDIT: I just found that you can't actually use this in competition because you set it so the hud only appears if you are in a gametype without lives, whoops.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back