MD2 Texture mixing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosX

Hello, I'm new here and I started making MD2 for Srb2 2.1.X. I'm currently in a SADX MD2 pack fro 2.1.X, I got some models done, but the problem I'm having is the textures, in my editor i have multiple textures that the model needs, and I honestly don't know how to make them one texture and that That texture fits the model in Srb2.

This is how the model looks in my editor:
fragMOTION2014-03-2021-21-23-537.png

And this is how it looks in-game with the skin texture:
srb2win2014-03-2021-23-29-902.png

If anyone has experience with this, or theres a programs or some editor to make this works, please let me know about it.

For md2 modeling, I use the programs Misfit 3D, and Blender. For you specific issue, I recommend using Misfit 3D. All you need to do, is open up all the textures in a photo editing program (any program, even paint will do), make a new picture, copy and paste all the textures from the SADX textures onto that one picture so that it will contain all the textures. Then open your model in misfit, add the new big singular texture in groups> edit materials. Once the new texture has been added, highlight your entire model using the "select connected mesh" tool (the picture under 'tools'), press groups> edit groups. Press "new", type 'group', press enter, and above the big white box there is a dropbox that says "no texture". Click it, and apply your big texture. Once the texture is applied, highlight a group using that same tool as used earlier, and press groups> edit texture coordinates, then simply resize the coords to fit the small texture within your big texture.

it sounds a bit complicated, but its not. I will possibly make a video for this if you need one.

Thanks very much for helping me, this has been really useful! :3

Spread the joy of models my friend :o. Be aware that 2.1's md2 models also replace the thok with the same md2 model's first frame, so whenever spindashing or thoking you will see the first frame repeated. I am ever so slowly thinking of ways to avoid this though. Not sure why STJR decided to torture modelers with this, but hopefully one day we will find a way...

Thanks The Doctor!

I'll be doing some lots of MD2s now xD. And you were right, it's not that hard to use UV in Misfit.

srb2win2014-03-2103-50-16-990.jpg

srb2win2014-03-2103-50-46-943.jpg

---------- Post added at 05:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 AM ----------

Wait, what happens if I want to add something more to my model? I use fragMOTION to make my MD2s, and if I add something more, then that means I have to edit the whole textures again in Misfit?

I'll be doing some lots of MD2s now xD. And you were right, it's not that hard to use UV in Misfit.

srb2win2014-03-2103-50-16-990.jpg

srb2win2014-03-2103-50-46-943.jpg

---------- Post added at 05:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 AM ----------

Wait, what happens if I want to add something more to my model? I use fragMOTION to make my MD2s, and if I add something more, then that means I have to edit the whole textures again in Misfit?

If you want to add a new texture to the model for a new group on the model, then you once again must repeat the process. However it will be much simpler. Simply highlight the entire model excluding the newly added item, and edit the texture coords, and simply resize it to the portion of the texture that it used to have. Srb2 isn't that powerful when it comes to verts count though, so watch out for that. I don't remember the exact number off the top of my head, but the limit is around 2,100 something.

Oh yes, thanks for telling me that, but, I was meaning if I want to tweak or modify a animation in fragMOTION. I would have to export the model to MD2 again and then I would have to assign the whole texture again. Is this right or theres another method?

Oh yes, thanks for telling me that, but, I was meaning if I want to tweak or modify a animation in fragMOTION. I would have to export the model to MD2 again and then I would have to assign the whole texture again. Is this right or theres another method?

You can make and edit animation frames in Misfit Model 3D, why would you use fragMOTION instead? I also pray to god that is not the trial version. If it is, you must be suffering.

You can make and edit animation frames in Misfit Model 3D, why would you use fragMOTION instead? I also pray to god that is not the trial version. If it is, you must be suffering.

xD No, it's the registered version, that face stopped bothering. Anyways, I like using fragMOTION because I can easily use the skeletal animation, which uses bones, that way it's very much faster to animate since you do click in one bone and in one second you make a whole animation, if I would use Misfit to make animations for MD2 then I would have taken more time to do animations to this model, and I use fragMO cause I'm used to it and I've been with it a LONG time, I use fragMO to work in other projects like BlitzSonic and such.

xD No, it's the registered version, that face stopped bothering. Anyways, I like using fragMOTION because I can easily use the skeletal animation, which uses bones, that way it's very much faster to animate since you do click in one bone and in one second you make a whole animation, if I would use Misfit to make animations for MD2 then I would have taken more time to do animations to this model, and I use fragMO cause I'm used to it and I've been with it a LONG time, I use fragMO to work in other projects like BlitzSonic and such.

Misfit Model 3D does skeletal animation too.

For frames I use misfit 3d. It truly is a great overall program for models, its easy, and it can help people learn alot about models.

Thanks for helping me

Ok, anyways I didn't care to do it all from scrath again and I've improved a few animations in fragMO and added a few extra textures enhancements in the model using Misfit, I'm gonna start working on Tails and then I'm gonna release the pack, probably today or tomorrow, these MD2's are compatible with the SADX wad out there. I actually made this based on the SADX Sonic wad for 1.09.4 and 2.0.x, the sprites were totally ruined and didn't looked like the original animations, so I made this because I wanted to give this for those who like SADX Sonic and they want to play an MD2 of him. I'll be posting soon, and don't think this will be the last you see from me :3. Thanks you two for helping me.

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

And I want to add something, In some days I'll be starting with a Sonic 06 MD2 pack, all characetrs will be in the pack, incluiding some other characters for use them with wads.

Last edited:
And I want to add something, In some days I'll be starting with a Sonic 06 MD2 pack, all characetrs will be in the pack, incluiding some other characters for use them with wads.

a Sonic 06 MD2 pack

a Sonic 06 MD2 pack

PS3/Xbox 360 models in an old ass game based off an even older ass game which has a polycount limit that's probably a hundred times lower than the MINIMUM polycount of a PS3/360 model.
Good luck trying to port Sonic 06 models to freaking SRB2 then.
(I tried it once. Expect crashes and the fact that you will need to make your own textures because of the weird way Sonic 06 handled/created them, since shadow has white fur and sonic has very very very very very very light blue fur.)

PS3/Xbox 360 models in an old ass game based off an even older ass game which has a polycount limit that's probably a hundred times lower than the MINIMUM polycount of a PS3/360 model.
Good luck trying to port Sonic 06 models to freaking SRB2 then.
(I tried it once. Expect crashes and the fact that you will need to make your own textures because of the weird way Sonic 06 handled/created them, since shadow has white fur and sonic has very very very very very very light blue fur.)

Excuse me, I ported models from Sonic Colors into SRB2 with ease. I also ported some Sonic 06 items into SRB2 before, such as glider, buggy, checkpoints, and other item stuff. Its not that hard at all. Also, the textures are simply different layers of one texture. What you are supposed to do is open them in a photo editing program, such as Paint.net, Photoshop (or maybe GIMP), add all the textures as different layers, and try to figure out the proper application for each layer, should it either be transparent, or should it be an additive to the layer under it, etc.

Well, I think it will work just because I luckily know how to reduce polycount.
And about the very very very very VERY VERY VERY!!!!!! light blue fur of Sonic:
fragMOTION2014-03-2121-17-54-387.jpg

An extra animation made in fragMO:
fragMOTION2014-03-2121-15-47-189.jpg

I'll manage to make the models work for Srb2.

Last edited:

I use Blender's decimation tool to reduce the poly count, but I'm guessing what ever you had used works aswell. Great animation btw :)

Thanks :P, well I used to reduce polycount with Blender until I didn't had anything to do so I just erased every evidence of 3d programs utility and had a break for some time, but then I dedicated a bit of my time to animation, and here I am xD.

h-HUH!?
B-but............
It WAS very very very very very very very light blue for me...

h-HUH!?
B-but............
It WAS very very very very very very very light blue for me...

Its like I said earlier. Depending on where you get the textures from (some people already do this before releasing the textures), but most of the time the textures appear in layers, and require a photo editing program to merge them together using different transparencies or additive properties to the layers. Take a look at the Sonic Generations model for example, when I first got into SADX modeling, I tried to port the Sonic Colors model into it, but I had 3 different textures of his fur. One was his pure blue skin, another was pure black/white fur, and another was a black/white version of it. I took them in paint.net and fused them to create one solid texture, that looked exactly like it did in Sonic Colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back