• Virtual PC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • WINe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaos Fox

I'm hopefully going to get an Apple computer soon, but I wan't to be able to run Windows programs on it without the headache of coding it myself. Someone mentioned getting a Windows Emulator, but I want your guy's opinions on which is the best one.

Agreed. Macs will only disconnect you from the software you love. And Windows emulation is normally slow and incompatible.

FoxBlitzz said:
Agreed. Macs will only disconnect you from the software you love. And Windows emulation is normally slow and incompatible.

These two statements are totally wrong.
There's much software for the Mac, including Photoshop, Office and Internet Explorer.
There are various commercial games, too.

And Windows emulation isn't slow and incompatible:
With WINE, I can run almost all TGF/MMF games.
It can even run Multimedia Fusion itself, albeit it's glitchy.
If you really want something compatible, try Parallels, that is comparable to VMWare and has a native Intel Mac version.

In my opinion, dual booting is only useful when you want run some 3d Windows games with all compatibility , but WINE, is able to run some of them, too.

So, saying that Macs disconnect you from the programs you love, is totally wrong.

Kaos Fox said:
I'm hopefully going to get an Apple computer soon, but I wan't to be able to run Windows programs on it without the headache of coding it myself. Someone mentioned getting a Windows Emulator, but I want your guy's opinions on which is the best one.

How about getting a Mac and keeping your Windows aswell!

tails92 said:
but WINE, is able to run some of them, too.

More like, it can only run games that don't use shaders. And most modern games today do infact use shaders, and sometimes won't even boot up under emulation.

Yeah, big deal. I'd rather have choice over my hardware than to go dualboot with Macs. For me, OSX doesn't really have a use. I can already do all kinds of stuff on a Windows computer.

Oh boy, two computers in one! I don't need the Mac part of the computer, so I'll just leave that part out and get a PC.

GCFreak said:
How about getting a Mac and keeping your Windows aswell!

I'd like to have just one portable computer mind you. Besides, I know you can run programs like Photoshop and Illustrator on both Windows an Apple computers, I just get better graphics using and Apple computer.

Kaos Fox said:
I just get better graphics using and Apple computer.

No you don't. If you're talking about graphics cards, then you couldn't be more wrong, as Windows is ahead in terms of graphics hardware. If you're talking about the skin, then you must be blind not to see that there are hundreds of skins for Windows out there that mimic the OS X look.

Even though I use a Windows computer at home, I've used Apple for most of my life. I trust Apple computers more than Windows. That, and Apple also has better sound mixers than Windows. ie: Soundtrack and GarageBand.

Personally, I don't really LIKE any specific operating system, but in the way of programs, Windows is the best. Also, FL Studio beats out anything Mac has.

ree-c said:
Intel CPU macs, install windows on one! =o
Windows works amazing on these intel macs. You just need the new, intel mac, bootcamp and a copy of windows xp sp2. Heh, I think it runs better on that than on my brothers suped up windows computer.

FoxBlitzz said:
Somehow, I really doubt that's true, brianv.

It's totally true.

My MacBook runs Half-life 2 with all the options as high as they go. Perfectly.

So, anyone who says it's not true is a whiny whore. Not only does OS X kick ass (iLife FTW), but you can run the shitty Windows OS if you want to as well, as long as you have decent software.

And games run great.

IMHO, Mac OS X is only an OS crippled to run on some Apple-selected
x86 machines with EFI firmware.

I don't understand the PPC -> x86 switch.
x86 hasn't a very good design.
Apple switched only because it wanted to have super-duper-clocked G5s from IBM.
IBM at the moment didn't want to provide them to Apple.

And dumping Open Firmware (used also on most UltraSPARCs and other hardware) for EFI...

If I grab a Mac in future, I will surely pick an used PPC one.
Macs are now standard PCs, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back