Put new characters in a MOD ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Internet Explorer

IT'S NO USE
Hello, good evening.

I progressed in my schedule SRB2, I approach my final project .. slowly.
I plan my project on leaves during my break hours in my college. When I get back home, I work on something else.
Anyway ... I plan to put new characters (and more of S / T / K) in my MOD.
Now.
I wonder if it is possible to do this without graphics issues or I do not know what.
Summary, I ask :

- Can we merge the lumps of a MOD (as Tortured Planet, for example) with the lumps of a character ?
- Can I put as many characters as I want in a MOD ?

And the next phase, for those who know :
- Can you tell me how to integrate the lumps of a character wad in a MOD wad ? (So, which contains a new gamedata, etc.).

Thank you for your help, it's a bit hard to explain, and perhaps to achieve.

Just add all the lumps in a character wad to the mod's wad, making sure the sprites come immediately after the respective S_SKIN. To add multiple characters, use different S_SKIN numbers, ie. S_SKIN2, S_SKIN3, etc. Multiple OBJCTCFGs can be merged, as long as you make sure the "Character" lines have different numbers for each character. Lastly, make sure there's at least one lump between a character's last sprite and the next one's S_SKIN lump, otherwise the game will trip up. My advice is to add a single marker lump before each character which will also serve as an obvious giveaway for which S_SKIN belongs to what character, like so:

OBJCTCFG
CH_SONIC
S_SKIN1
PLAYA1
PLAYA2A8
PLAYb4b6
PLAYb5
CH_TAILS
S_SKIN2
TAILA1
TAILA2A8

By the way, "mod" isn't an acronym or anything; there's no reason to type it all in caps. It's just a shortened form of "modification".

Ah. I thought mod = "big game". I will in this case replace "Mod" by "Full game ", something like that. Thanks, Fawfulfan.

About the characters ... no, it does not work. Look at these pictures.
I would like to clarify that I used an full game (Here T. Planet) and I used the character Hinote. Designers : I do it only for testing something.

beginhinote.png
First lumps, so first sprites + OBJCTCFG , S_SKIN1, etc.

centralsprites.png
Central sprites...

finalsprites.png
Last sprites, with a sound lump..the Hinote thok sound.

Ok, now, I've launched SRB2 with a wad containing T . Planet lumps and Hinote lumps merged.
What do you say, software ?

ohno.png

...Oh, no, he doesn't works...
Have a idea ?

You broke the lump names. From your images I can tell that the second set of PLAYA1, PLAYA2A8, etc. should actually be PLAYa1, PLAYa2a8, and so on. But the error SRB2 is complaining about comes before that: it can't find the \ lumps. "\" is not a valid filename character, so when exporting it XWE changes it to something else (underscore, I think). Go find the PLAY[* and PLAY]* lumps, between those two there should be one or more lumps called PLAY_* or something, change all of those to PLAY\* instead.

EDIT: It's not the underscore, but I can't remember what it is.

Last edited:
You broke the lump names. From your images I can tell that the second set of PLAYA1, PLAYA2A8, etc. should actually be PLAYa1, PLAYa2a8, and so on. But the error SRB2 is complaining about comes before that: it can't find the \ lumps. "\" is not a valid filename character, so when exporting it XWE changes it to something else (underscore, I think). Go find the PLAY[* and PLAY]* lumps, between those two there should be one or more lumps called PLAY_* or something, change all of those to PLAY\* instead.

EDIT: It's not the underscore, but I can't remember what it is.

In SLADE, which is what I use, when you try to mass-copy "\" sprites, the \ disappears completely. Maybe you should look for five lumps, all named "PLAY" or, if you're using Hinote, "HINO", with no numbers afterwards. Then rename those five sprites to PLAY\1, PLAY\2\8, etc. one at a time. That should fix your little problem. If it doesn't, I can't help you.

Neo : Thank you, half of my problem is solved. Now we need to address something that seems more complicated.
SRB2 runs successfully, it works. But in game, some of the sprites ... don't works..
When Hinote begin to run, she adopts different sprites ... like the flag, the 1-up box, the sprite of "Super", etc. ...
Any idea ?
srb20016.png
srb20019.png
srb20021w.png
742mph : I do not use SLADE, and I renaming lump one by one.
But otherwise, the "\" works for sprites, thank you.

I already told you, you broke the lowercase lump names. The second set of PLAYA1, PLAYA2A8, etc. should be PLAYa1, PLAYa2a8, etc. instead. Relevant.

It ... it works ! Fireworks !
I looked too fast on the "lowercase lump names", I did wrong !
Thank you very much Neo !

Boomer : That's nice, but it's better to post on the forum ! To help people who are in the same situation that me !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back