Models as level geometry?

It's certainly an interesting idea - in fact, one of the old slope "tricks" of old involved using an MD2 to show the slope and an invisible staircase to collide with it. For the near future though, remember that Software is still the "official" renderer and I expect that even if/when OpenGL takes over as official, Software would still be supported for sometime beyond that - so there's definitely some hurdles to cross.

If SRB2 sees OpenGL in a fully working state and set as the default renderer (with software either as a fallback or removed), then inserting 3D models into a level would certainly be doable.

The issue is that every object in SRB2 uses a simple bounding box for collision detection. The team would need to implement tri-mesh collision boundaries to allow meshes such as level geometry to integrate properly, and implementing such will likely need a lot of work.

It will take a developer who is experienced and has a lot of time to spare, it will probably be a while before that happens.

I've definitely seen someone try this fairly recently. They posted some screenshots in one of the various SRB2 Discord servers. Unfortunately, I can't find it. I can't even remember what server it was.

It was pretty glitchy, but cool.

I recall seeing gameplay of an Emerald Coast mod for SRB2 CB (v2.0) that had 3D objects spanning the entire map including palmtrees, springs, dashpads, and a giant Egg Carrier in the ocean background. It was also one of the earliest instances I saw good slopes and a decent (automatic) loop in SRB2. This was nearly 10 years ago in finding, so I'm sure that we could eventually have more 3D with the games current state if it was possible to make things look so nice back then. Unfortunately, the video seems to no longer be on YouTube so I'm unable post it. Maybe another user will know which video I'm referencing.

I recall seeing gameplay of an Emerald Coast mod for SRB2 CB (v2.0) that had 3D objects spanning the entire map including palmtrees, springs, dashpads, and a giant Egg Carrier in the ocean background. It was also one of the earliest instances I saw good slopes and a decent (automatic) loop in SRB2. This was nearly 10 years ago in finding, so I'm sure that we could eventually have more 3D with the games current state if it was possible to make things look so nice back then. Unfortunately, the video seems to no longer be on YouTube so I'm unable post it. Maybe another user will know which video I'm referencing.

hey, do you mean this?
k6XOIEz.png

Also- designing models as level geometry: not so sure.
But scenery? Yes

hey, do you mean this?
Yes, that's the one. Maybe I just never saw everything, but I'm surprised people didn't do more with SRB2 CB back then. It offered a lot for its time, at least visually.

But scenery? Yes
I was recently thinking to myself that 'objects' like these could benefit from being 3D models. They look like they're supposed to be some sort of robot and I see their 'faces'. You don't quite notice this until you give closer attention. Not to say that adding such detail to a map like this seems necessary, but it's just an example of a visual where models would fit instead of blocky structures.

8LmFY7f.png

I think in this scenario simply using sector slopes or vertex slopes could do the job. In my opinion if we were able to use models as level geometry, they should be reserved for more complex things like a shuttle loop.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back