• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Kart Krew™'s exe mods

Woah! I thought SRB2 Kart 2.1 was dead! I can't wait for the demo!

EDIT: This just occurred to me, but I would like to make my own models (or just animate one off the models resource 'cause I can't model for the life of me) for SRB2 Kart, but I don't know how the animations are structured, or what some of them look like in-game. And I know that we have SRB2 Kart 2.0, but I just can't seem to get OpenGL to work for 2.0. Can someone help me with this?

Last edited:
Welcome to the Kart Krew topic!

In this topic, I will realize that this is not my own topic, and this strangely disconnected writing style is not the correct manner to proceed in correct writing, and so I must not present content in such a manner as tempting as it may be. Hello, what have we been viewing lately? I have been viewing this screenshot I made that happens to become animated when you view it.

srb20293.gif

That realization comes now, as I realize my emotion and gain myself a promotion.

Ah yes, Monochrome Road.
Truly, a timeless map out of many.

Jokes aside, this looks like it fits better as a kart stage instead of being a regular map in SUGOI!

the place you're in even flashes red if you're not in top 3 and it flashes blue if you're in top 3 on the final lap.

I hate to be pedantic, but it's the top four spots that are safe (and flash blue) in SMK. The fact that 4th actually flashes red bothers me.

I dunno why it'd bother you... SMK could only ever do 1,2, and 8 players with nothing inbetween. In a four people or so race, SOMEONE has to flash red to indicate the losing side.

Hey.

I've been meaning to reply to the topic for a while now, but never quite felt there was a reason to yet. With more up to date Kart content being pushed out though, I feel it's about time to address some things, about the past, present, and future for SRB2kart.

First, I should address the elephant in the room: I have acted like a petulant child on more than one occasion. I've been hesitant to post because I feel like addressing this fact would make it somehow more obtuse, as if I were bragging about it; but at the same time, not addressing it at all would leave many people uneasy or concerned that I'm up to some wily scheme and should be kept on a radar should I pull a poor stunt, like vandalize a wiki, or rag on about disliking a game series' spotlight for little reason other than not having the best introductory experience.

In the past I have been under stress and duress, but not entirely aware of itself and my actions. "Stress" had always been another day in my world, and the internet was my outlet for escapism. As more stress piled on, I began to react more violently to minor things, and the factor that pushed me over the tipping point where I threw a tantrum was a conflict of vision and wanting nothing more than to abolish the entire project and forget about it. Which leads to the next two points: its present and future.

Iceman had at one point attained a frontline position in Kartkrew's dev team and founded the name and logo for 'KartKrew' itself, as seen in SRB2Topdown and our eventual exe icon. I'd be lying if I said I recall all the details in their entirety for how exactly it happened (I'm not being factitious when I say this, I really can't remember!), but for why it happened: our visions aren't entirely the same when it comes to SRB2Kart, and in several instances before and since our visions of the final game are almost two entirely different racing games.

SRB2Kart's resurrection has been a long time coming with a simple agreement: Both his and my own vision for the game will be consolidated in their own game modes.

For 'Retro Kart', all the existing items and the intended character stats as per my own vision would remain intact, albeit improved. Drifting, driving, and most actions would remain the same as they had been before. A proper acceleration code would be (and has been!) added, and handling would be (and has been!) improved.

For 'Neo Kart', Iceman's wishes for a more Sonic-themed and KirbyAirRiders-esque control would be realized in his own vision. Many items would still act the same, such as "Mushrooms" vs "Speed Shoes", but since many assets would be similar, a change in game mode would simple change which graphics are displayed for what item, and switch out certain checks for handling.

At present, as the previous gifs allude to, I've ported much of the existing code from "Super Kart Z" into SRB2 2.1.17, and have added much better acceleration code, roulette code, handling, and a cleaner HUD.

Moving forward with SRB2Kart, I have several features I'd like to add to the game, as well as a greater sense of transparency in the project moving forward. While there are still a few internal squabbles in regards to how the core game should handle, Kart's current vision is as follows:

- Releases on a much less common schedule, but much more polished and a greater focus on finding bugs before I have to release 12 hotfixes in one day. Every day. For some reason.

- The ability to customize your HUD locally in various ways. I haven't completely decided yet how this will be handled, but there will at least be a toggle for what 'style' of HUD you want, some structured similar to official Mario Kart HUDs, and a few custom ones as we go.

- Much more streamlined character stats: Set two numbers (speed and weight) and the game balances around them. In other words, it will no longer be possible to make a "broken" or "underpowered" character.

- Speed classes, ie. 50cc, 100cc, 150cc.

- A cleaner and more professional menu.

- More streamlined map editing: Set a particular sector type and you have a mushroom panel. No more obtuse power award sector linedef tags.

- Completely rebalanced and redesigned items: No more fireflower spam, no more end-of-lap shields, no more needing to balance your map around that dang feather shield.

- Improvements to map design to avoid impossible blind turns, a smaller emphasis on items in each map, and diligent attempts to use offroad between roads and death pits or walls. While some revealed maps might allude to high difficulty in the future, I want there to be plenty of kinder and cleaner maps that everyone can play, regardless of skill level.

I cannot guarantee my own diligence in keeping up to date with this topic or up to speed in development, but the past couple of weeks has seen the largest leaps forward in our development process: rankings, items, and character handling.

And while the recent string of posts may make it seem like a lot has been done and we're zipping right along, there's still a lot to do. We'll keep you posted.

Last edited:
srb20018.gif

I've recently changed how Mushrooms work. Instead of using Insta-thrust, it increases the player's top speed and acceleration temporarily.

This is to prevent janky boosts while turning or drifting, making things smoother and much easier to control.

srb20019.gif

(Eventually we'll get a "wheels are literally on fire" animation or effect to make it obvious you're mushrooming - currently the fire trail animation pauses until off-screen so it isn't blocking your view)

I spent my last days of SRB2 on SRB2 Kart years ago. I'm kind of excited seeing this actually being a thing again. It makes me want to come back to SRB2 again. Keep up the good work Kart Krew.

And are there going to be any total overhauls of older tracks at all, or will it just be new stuff?

HillTop.gif

This used to be Shy Guy Circuit, it's been given the "Sonic Touch" by SeventhSentinel.

Special shoutout to MonsterIestyn for Hill Top Zone Textures.

The more I look at these gifs, the more I see eerily close resemblances to Mario Kart 64's handling. It's not exactly 1:1, but it's damn close, at least from what I'm seeing. I'm very excited to eventually play this.

The more I look at these animated GIFs, the more my internet router screams for mercy. Please upload animated GIF images to something like GfyCat and provide an optional link to view them in compressed video form. Come on, that GIF of "Sonic Guy Circuit" fills 61.5 megabytes on its own! The other GIFs don't fill nearly as much, but they also contribute to loading this page much slower than necessary for people without top-notch internet speed.

...But when the GIFs finally do load fully, they definitely look like a lot of fun to be playing, I must say. It looks really nice.

For Multiplayer sessions, might I suggest doing something along the lines on what recent Mario Karts do with online play? You pick from a cup (Ex. Emerald Cup), then select the individual track from the cup (Ex. Cloud Cradle), then all the track selections made from the players in the server are shuffled together and the game chooses a map random from the selected tracks the players picked. I'd say it's more involved than just the host going to the menu and selecting a stage for themselves and less chaotic than asking the other players in the server which map they would like to play next.

Speaking of Cups... What're they gonna be called? Ring, shield, emerald and special? Will there be a retro grand prix :V (This is a joke, although now that I put more thought into it the prospect of a Mario GP sounds interesting)

I'm going to try and update the topic weekly (every Tuseday) with an update on anything interesting we've done, don't let this fool you into thinking we're close to release, though!

That being said, here's a look at a brand new course based off of Eggman's Hidden Base in Sonic Adventure 2, Egg Quarters, by Chaotic Chao. (Gameplay by SeventhSentinel)

Nice MK8 with that hairpin turn at the end ;) In all seriousness though, the actual map looks interesting. Good job, Chaotic Chao!

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back