• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

General project screenshot/video thread

I have given up my previous Sanic project in favor of Jasper's. Now I'm started on something completely different.

pFvgzZm.png

ROLEH POLLEH PUTTT
(Sprite still WIP, needs constructive criticism and LOTS OF LOVE.)
Sprite 1/170 done! :P

The proportions are way off, shading is off, no aliasing inside the sprite. Looks like a midget compared to Sonic.

The proportions are way off, shading is off, no aliasing inside the sprite. Looks like a midget compared to Sonic.

Yep, I'm planning to work on the shading and stuff. I'll try and improve the proportions, honestly this is something I threw together in fifteen minutes, I was just trying to get something out there, but I'm planning on making it actually good.

I think I might leave the height alone, since Roly Polys are supposed to be kinda small, you know? I might see what I can do.

Yep, I'm planning to work on the shading and stuff. I'll try and improve the proportions, honestly this is something I threw together in fifteen minutes, I was just trying to get something out there, but I'm planning on making it actually good.

I think I might leave the height alone, since Roly Polys are supposed to be kinda small, you know? I might see what I can do.

You are limiting yourself if you decide to go through with this. Just have it regular sized. You can fit more detail into it.

If I were you I'd try to get something with some amount of effort out rather than shit out something in fifteen minutes before showing it off.

That too.

If I were you I'd try to get something with some amount of effort out rather than shit out something in fifteen minutes before showing it off.

Well, I did as much as I could in a short amount of time. I really wanted to just get a sprite on the forum so I could get some tips and criticism, that way I could improve it.

Also, I will be re-making the sprite to the size of Sonic's sprite.

I don't see what's stopping you from taking your time on it, though. You'd probably would get better reception on it if you took more time.

honestly this is something I threw together in fifteen minutes
Yeah, I can tell.

Proportions and size should be your top priority, then shading and aliasing.

Well, technically you have 0/170 sprites completed since there is still so much work that needs to be done on it. It will take you a lot longer than 15 minutes apiece to complete most of the sprites you are working on.

I have given up my previous Sanic project in favor of Jasper's. Now I'm started on something completely different.

pFvgzZm.png

ROLEH POLLEH PUTTT
(Sprite still WIP, needs constructive criticism and LOTS OF LOVE.)
Sprite 1/170 done! :P

I once made a Roly Poly sprite, but it was so horrible I cried to sleep. In case you were interested;

Though the shading is horrid, and the look is bad, I do have to say this does have the proper 'shape' of Roly Poly. As for your sprite, the thingies that make him curl into a ball are too rectangular, his pants are a bit too high up, and his arms and legs need to look a bit more bug-like. I know you said you did it around 15 minutes, but so was my sprite...which is why we are both horrible my friend :3. I should stick with making other strange things. *gets back to fixing Dalek md2s*

Edit: just realized, my version doesn't have shading. The point stands though :p.

Last edited:
8pTxoI1.png

Didn't even shade or outline it with a color other than black and it looks a million times better; all because I spent more than twenty minutes on it.

Point is, don't just rush something out because you want it out.

Will I finish this? Probably not; don't have time and I don't really care about this.

I'm not gonna give a shit about other's sprites. I'm just gonna keep making my own.
So, I remade my original sprite into a new one. To make him look regular sized compared to Sonic, I had to make him slightly taller as well.

I'm making my sprites according to how he looks in this picture:

screen568x568.jpeg

And here's my sprite:
FfABZzw.png

The shading needs work, some of the proportions need to be worked on, and I think I should have made his shell less jagged. Other than that, I'm pretty proud of it so far.

(The sprite doesn't look very good when it's small like that. There are a bunch of details you can't see. Just to let you know, it doesn't look like that ingame)

Last edited:
Honestly, Rex, you should stop seeing yourself as being "upstaged". Instead of mentioning that, maybe you should try to get better at your sprites. As in, you know, take more time on them.

Your sprite is, like, very nice. Really great. Super cool.

Now just give it more shading in general. Not subtle shading like it currently is, but more profound shading all around the sprite, and remember to keep a nice contrast to everything. Of course that also goes for the outlines, because his head outline is, at the moment, too bright.

Your sprite is, like, very nice. Really great. Super cool.

Now just give it more shading in general. Not subtle shading like it currently is, but more profound shading all around the sprite, and remember to keep a nice contrast to everything. Of course that also goes for the outlines, because his head outline is, at the moment, too bright.

So...like this?
I darkened the lines on his antennae and eyes, and gave him some proper shading. Let me know what I can improve.

hG08VQX.png

So...like this?
I darkened the lines on his antennae and eyes, and gave him some proper shading. Let me know what I can improve.

hG08VQX.png
Nice improvement! Though, the shading is done wrong on the shirt. Also, the shell is too small. Look at the official art. His shell should be more rounded and visible.
EDIT: a few other things.
The face is pillow shaded and the shell is shaded backwards.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back