Mineral Valley Zone King of the hill map.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyperknux

The board's UK Ecologist
This is my first KOTH stage, Mineral Valley. Just like the other maps it is a match type stage, with the KOTH gameplay like Floral Canyon, and Slash's KOTH stage. This map is MAP92.

Credits

Callum: For helping me fix a couple of things on the map. The stage is quite large.

Flame The Hedgehog: For inventing this neat kind of gametype.

Here are the screenshots.

Player 1's start posistion.

Sonic launching off the yellow spring of the top of a twisted mini mountain. It's the only way for Sonic to access where he's going to land.

The lower area. It's a nice big area to do big player battles there.

And the King of the hill summit itself. The gargoyle sprites are replaced with Silver Knuckles sprites to look like statues :P.

And the Download link.

http://www.supersanctuary.net/srpgp/ffh/download.php?file=fa412d3d35b00d54d720ebf54af64acc

Enjoy feedback welcome :).

You know, you can always submit a KotH map to me and if odds are good, then it might get added into the KotH map pack by surprise. ;)

Other than that, I'm glad to see people making KotH maps

I have not gotten a chance to play this in a netgame, but when I ran through it, I noticed several AFALL textures while underwater. You may want to go back and make sure that all of your water blocks have the side texture that you actually want them to have.

The water control sectors especially the waterfalls are the ones that needed the texture. I didn't see any AFALL textures except the outside thok barrier, so I'll have another look soon.

Pretty good, however, I think you should move the question mark box on the hill as it is much more fun to collect all of the items to fight with(rings, weapons, etc.) outside of the king area. It also gives the person on the hill even more power over the game then they already have. Try to design the level so that it is equal for every character, including Sonic. He has nothing for him on this map,with spin-fly Tails and knuckles prevailing. You should at least have a monitor to monitor hop to the hill, so it balances out. Also, underwater transparent AFALLs are everywhere.

Ok, not bad. This has a great amount of potential, but has a few gameplay flaws.

1)Homing rings. It is a bad idea to have homing rings in what is an essentially a close quarter match. If you insist on providing them, make the hill have cover.

2)Misplaced hill. I thought the large thing in the middle was the hill. I get to the top, and immediatly think "ok...wtf?". It is a bad idea having the hill on one side, put it in the middle. While I'm on this topic, take away the ? mark box on the hill, put it somewhere where it would take extra time to get a good item.

3)Colormaps in the water. Use them. Also, some unnecessary textures were used.

4)Use the soc that makes you fly far when you get hit by a ring. Without this, even if you get hit, your score still goes up because you're standing on the hill.

5)Tag the scoring linedef to an invisible, intangible FOF, to prevent your score from rising after you die.

6)Make more than one way up the hill. Especially with those darn homing rings. The Hill person just sits and watches on the springs, and when you get hit, you fall to the bottom. Not good. Make 4 or 5 ways to get to the top.

Overall, fine, but is missing some of the mechanics that would ensure this to be fun. 6/10.

.hack said:
Ok, not bad. This has a great amount of potential, but has a few gameplay flaws.

1)Homing rings. It is a bad idea to have homing rings in what is an essentially a close quarter match. If you insist on providing them, make the hill have cover.

2)Misplaced hill. I thought the large thing in the middle was the hill. I get to the top, and immediatly think "ok...wtf?". It is a bad idea having the hill on one side, put it in the middle. While I'm on this topic, take away the ? mark box on the hill, put it somewhere where it would take extra time to get a good item.

3)Colormaps in the water. Use them. Also, some unnecessary textures were used.

4)Use the soc that makes you fly far when you get hit by a ring. Without this, even if you get hit, your score still goes up because you're standing on the hill.

5)Tag the scoring linedef to an invisible, intangible FOF, to prevent your score from rising after you die.

6)Make more than one way up the hill. Especially with those darn homing rings. The Hill person just sits and watches on the springs, and when you get hit, you fall to the bottom. Not good. Make 4 or 5 ways to get to the top.

Overall, fine, but is missing some of the mechanics that would ensure this to be fun. 6/10.

1. Homing rings are good. They may not be powerful, but they don't need to be uber powerful, and fast like the autorings/rail rings. I think it's too overpowered :/

2. Personally I think a hill in the middle of a zone smack dab is kinda pointless, people can easily can get there from all directions. I made a hill slightly different this time.

3. The reason there's no colormaps = Mineral water is clear color, there's no color to mineral water, there's only color when the sun's rays refliect the water's surface like the sky.

4. I can't soc for ****. But I wasn't sure if I'd ask Flame to see if I can use his soc for the KotH level. I'd credit him for it as well if he lets me, that's up to him.

5. I will do that soon, once I found out the bits of bobs.

6. I made a couple of ways for the characters to get to the hill. Ok, I'll probally make a few more pathes for Sonic (maybe 2 or 3), but for the other characters (e.g. flight type, ability type e.g. climbing) That's enough for them.

But thanks for some of the feedback though so far. I'll find the AFALL1 in a bit.

Two more comments
1)About the homing rings. I was saying that they would be overpowered in a stage like this, because they would be impossible to avoid on a small, open plane. Rail and bomb rings would be better choices because you actually have to, you know, aim.

2)About the hill being in the middle. You seem to have a problem with having too many ways for the charachters to get on top of it. That's the point. There's supposed to be many ways to get up so someone can't just sit there and snipe the people coming up without getting backstabbed. Look at Floral Canyon. There are at least three ways to get to the top of the hill, and that is one of the best features of the map.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back