• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Pierre the Peacock Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DakotaSpine

Purple Peacock Pierre
RoboBlastPierre2.png

Pierre the Peacock

-------

This is my first work-in-progress Character Addon, as well as my first thread on the forum!

This is where I want to keep my progress on Pierre up to date, and talk about him as a character as a whole~

-------

For now, I will share Gifs of my progress and some assets I have completed. Keep in mind, Pierre is still heavily work in progress as of making this post!

unknown.png

While jumping, Pierre is in a ball
Once Twirl Thok or Air Twirl are used, Pierre will be in a free fall position open to attack
Air Twirl can be used repeatedly on a VERY brief cool-down, and can also be used after Twirl Thok

Air Twirl does nothing to your forward momentum; not increasing nor decreasing
It does however cancel your downwards and upward momentum, and can be used every half a second or so

Twirl Thok works identically to Sonic's Air Thok; however it leaves you vulnerable as preciously mentioned. It also will not launch you nearly as far or as fast
Twirl Thok from a stand still will give you a little bit of speed, enough to get moving
Twirl Thok while moving will not give you more speed or take it away, but redirects the momentum you have if your current running speed is higher than the speed it would give you from a stand still

While at a stand still, Pierre will spin dash. If Spin is clicked while moving at all, he will instead begin the Ground Twirl
Using Ground Twirl gives you no sort of momentum on its own, but it does let you move around to pick up speed
Your control of a spinning Pierre is slightly less than walking normally, but not by a lot
If you begin twirling from a slow stride, the max speed you can reach while twirling is slightly above half of your normal speed
If you begin twirling at any speed higher than the speed cap of Ground Twirl, you will keep that speed, and not go above or below it while spinning​
(A write-up explaining Pierre's abilities)

srb20000.gif

srb20002.gif

Early Pierre showcase

Here are two Gifs showing off Pierre's behind running sprites, and utilizing his more powerful jump. I've played through Greenflower with him so many times now, but it's been fun~
Both Gifs shows Pierre going into a roll while in motion. This will later change into his Ground Twirl instead
He is also shown lunging and gliding, this is because for a brief time i was using Knuckles' abilities as a placeholder.
This is no longer the case, as Sonic's abilities are now in place instead

srb20013.gif

Rough Air Twirling

Then this Gif showcases how Pierre's Air Twirl is essentially meant to function. At the moment, it doesn't animate or keep your momentum.
But rather, it propels you forward at the same speed as your top speed to sort of simulate carried momentum if I am at top speed. This will change later

srb20012.gif

Wheeeeeeeeeee

Pierre's current running and walking sprites boil down to having his head replace Sonic's, with some having his tail feathers added. This will also of course change later, I just wanted to get some good customized looks in place. He will later have his feathered arms, solid colored belly and black boots. I don't have anything shaded at the moment either

srb20014.gif

Rough Ground Twirling

Finally for now, a minor showcase of Pierre's Ground Twirl concept busting enemies in place of his Spindash. There is very little control over it at the moment sadly, and it it not yet animated
You can also see him Spindash while standing still. He will maintain this ability

-------

I have quite a way to go, but there has been a lot of support so far from the Discord, and I am so delighted by it

I'm excited for Pierre's future as he continues to develop

If anybody is able to lend a hand through Spriting or Coding to help further his development, it'd be much appreciated! There is a lot of spriting to be done, and I don't know much about coding, if anything. A good friend of mine has been working with me to create Pierre's abilities thus far,
but more hands on deck would be something to be thankful for~

For now, that's all I have!
Thank you for reading <3​

Last edited:
Looks like a very promising character! And seems fun to play too. The Twirl abilities seem very neat and I can appreciate the more “juking” nature of the character because it’s a bird, giving it that control it needs for beginners to save their falls or over-shots and the more advanced players giving the control to skip sections if they can route their movement well enough.

I do have two questions though, will the Ground Twirl be similar to that of Tails’ Tail Swipe from Sonic Adventure? And if the Ground Twirl allows you to pick up your speed, then would the speed be greater than the Thok? Or less?

Thank you for the kind words!~

I'm very excited for his abilities to be further chiseled out of what he has so far, because i've just been playing and loving him a lot so far~

I do have two questions though, will the Ground Twirl be similar to that of Tails’ Tail Swipe from Sonic Adventure? And if the Ground Twirl allows you to pick up your speed, then would the speed be greater than the Thok? Or less?

The Ground Twirl is something I imagined being closer to Tails' Rhythm Badge movement actually, that's the current plan at least~

It's much less a Thok, and more so a spinning offense state. It carries any speed you have built up, and can only be activated on the ground. It has a lower speed cap than running if you start from a stand-still, but can break that cap if you start doing it while moving fast

I do hope that explains it a little :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back