Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's Ratchet, because there was no way he WASN'T going to be in this. I mean, who do you think they are, Capcom? :V I have to say, though, I'm a little worried by how many Level 3 Supers in this are of the 'point and shoot at people to kill them', variety. Granted, Level 3s are supposed to take a long while to build up for the reward of getting a near guaranteed kill, but still.

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed in his level three. But people might not even go for that- have you seen his level one? It looks really OP for just a level one. His level two seems fair enough. I just wish there was more variation, especially with the shooter-finishing moves. It really only fits Radec and Cole (who's more in third person, anyway) but not Sly and Ratchet. While I'm at it, not a fan of Sackboy's either. It feels really underwhelming. Love his 1 and 2 super though.

I'll also say this also looks to be more and more interesting. At this point, anyone who's calling it a ripoff of Smash really needs to get with the times. It's proven itself to be a completely different beast.

Honestly, I'd agree with you. I mean, sure, they're both four player fighting games with platformer elements, but calling this a ripoff would be like saying King of Fighters is a ripoff of Street Fighter.

So they've finally officially announced the last of the leaked characters! If Crash is in this, or he isn't, we're probably going to find out soon.

Not that it'd be a bad thing if he didn't. I mean, we've got Spike, and he's just as good, right?

...Right?

So, anyway!

So here's some footage of the newly announced characters.

We've got Raiden from MGS Revengeance. To be honest, this is pretty much the only MGS game I've ever had any interest in, so I'd probably prefer him over Snake. Besides, if I squint really hard, I can pretend he's Bayonetta, because that game was awesome.

We've got... Evil Cole. As I said before, Cole kind of sucks. Making him evil doesn't make him stop sucking. Still, though, he's more unique than Dr. Mario ever was.

Nariko. Kratos with boobs. Next!

Sir Dan, from Medieval! If you've never played Medievil, you probably should. I guess I could say it's VAGUELY like a 3D Ghosts & Goblins, only not really as hard.

Evil Cole should have been Cole's "Shiek".

Basically, you could alternate on the fly on which one you wanted to be.

Why would he ever do that? He didn't do that in his own games. It wouldn't make sense.
The entire game of InFamous was based on the fact on being evil or good. Sure it wouldn't make that much sense, but why should it? A simple transition could beef up his moveset and allow strategy to transform on will to find the best attacks.

This is a video game, anything can happen. There is no reason why we need to be limited on 'It doesn't make sense!' when it is a simple design choice. You could even make it 'stick' (pick right from the menu on Cole) with no way in changing while in battle. My suggestion was just one example, there are tons of different ways the developers could implement it. It doesn't have to follow mine.

Last edited:
So, hey, I know this thread is super old and all, but I actually played it, so that's a good reason to bring it back up, right? Yeah, there's an open beta going on. You can get in now if you have PSN+, and it'll open to people who don't have it on the 23rd. I went ahead and paid $20 for a 3 month membership, because hey, I get free games out of it while I've got it.

So, the game! It's very good, at least, from what I've played so far. The stages are a lot smaller, meaning people are generally closer together. It still has the same kind of feeling as Smash that it's kind of hard to tell what's going on, so it's a good thing the player indicators are big enough you can tell what's going on.

You get three attack buttons, too, and since this figures in all four directions on both the ground and air, you get a little more move variety than in Smash, too. Blocking works the same way as in Smash, only you can only have your guard broken by getting grabbed.

Also, funny story: So I'm playing this 3 player match online where everybody's playing Sly Cooper. The match goes pretty normally, but suddenly, at the part where everybody does their winning/losing animation, suddenly Parappa, who wasn't in the match at ALL, suddenly just pops in. Personally, I say every match needs phanton Parappa out of nowhere.

So, yeah! If anybody has any questions, feel free to ask, and if anybody has PSN+, give me your PSN name if you want to play the beta with me.

I don't have PS+, but I'll jump in a match with you when the beta's completely open and eventually when the game is out. Shadowbhiemes is my PSN.

Also, this is related to All-Stars- the new Playstation "Reload" and "The Arrival" commercials. These commercials are short and vague, but they're interesting for the number of references littered throughout that all seem to point towards All-Stars. This could be an ad campaign for the game or perhaps a way of revealing something new. Either way, this is a continuation of the original Micheal commercial and will probably be a lot of fun to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcI5KSji8QQ
The same woman from the original Micheal commercial is here. Limbo City (from Devil May Cry) can also be seen here, as well as "Saru! Get you!" which references Ape Escape. The blue at the end is presumably Cole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkFC5JGOgqg
The same woman's here, and the strange language on the typewriter is an alphabet from Ratchet and Clank reading "Dear Copernicus we have received your letter and regret to inform you captain..."
A very Uncharted-like truck also appears, with the license plate in a language from Jak & Daxter reading "Morgan" (referencing developer Naughty Dog's mascot). What pretty much also looks like Drake himself can be seen, along with a white cat which probably alludes to Toro. Don't know what these videos are leading up to, but it's worth keeping an eye on.

Don't know what these videos are leading up to, but it's worth keeping an eye on.

It's leading up to this, apparently. It's a decent live action trailer thing that the other two videos were small parts of.

Also, the beta's opening up for everybody later today. Don't have PSN+? No problem! Pick it up and come join us! No, seriously, please, I'm starting to feel like the only one posting in this thread.

Oh, the open beta is starting today? I'll have to pick it up.

See, I told you it was a good game! I told you all! You all didn't believe me, but I'm not crazy after all! Ahahaha!

...Uh, here's some bits and pieces of new info, now that people hopefully care about this sort of thing.

- Everybody gets 3 alternate costumes, besides what you get for preordering.

- The final boss is pretty much completely confirmed to be
The Polygon Man, an early mascot for the first Playstation commercials.
The music for that got posted too.

- Yes, there is a stock mode, and yes, you will be able to see how many lives you have left.

- Kratos is getting a nerf by release. Because he really, really needed one.

And here's some videos, because why not.

Sir Dan on the Blackrock Stadium stage
Stock Mode on the Invasion stage

Got a few questions to ask ya Bob so I can see if it's worth buying it for the Vita.

1) Is the Vita Version different from the other ones? If so, on what is it different?
2) Is there a Story Mode of some sort? If so, does it look like Adventure Mode from Melee, Subspace Emissary from Brawl or the Story Mode from Tekken Series?

Got a few questions to ask ya Bob so I can see if it's worth buying it for the Vita.

1) Is the Vita Version different from the other ones? If so, on what is it different?
2) Is there a Story Mode of some sort? If so, does it look like Adventure Mode from Melee, Subspace Emissary from Brawl or the Story Mode from Tekken Series?

1. Not much, actually. They're so close that you can actually play against people on the PS3. The player indicators are a bit bigger, and there's some touchscreen controls, like being able to touch items to pick them up. (Only when you're up close to them, of course.)

2. I haven't heard anything about a story mode. The arcade/Classic mode does have some story, though, because every character has a rival fight with its own cutscene for it. I wouldn't be surprised if everybody had their own endings, either.

I went to an event for this game on Wednesday down in Sunset Boulevard, so I can tell you this game is cubic buttloads of fun now. It feels a lot more strategic and competitive than Smash, and the system with supers works surprisingly well. Big Daddy and Toro are godly. New stages also rock.
The Vita version is near flawless. It's exactly like the PS3 version, except supers are performed with different inputs. I think I'll play on this console more, since jumping online for a quick match is really easy in the beta.
Also, the beta is great too. I've mostly been playing as Colonel Radec. He might seem initially spammy at first, but I like him and his supers a lot. I can't seem to get the hang of other characters, which hopefully changes when the game releases and I can get some intimate alone time with practice mode.

Alright, that intro was pretty wicked. Honestly, I really am looking forward to this game, I just hope I have enough money to preorder it.

犬夜叉;728266 said:
Where's Dart Feld?

Damn it.

In case you don't know, Dart Feld is the main character of The Legend of Dragoon, a decade-old first-party RPG for the original Playstation.
Wow, I just played Legend of dragoon again today. If dart was in this... Well I was going to say he'd be overpowered, but with kratos there I think he'd fit right in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back