PepsiJuan666

haha im mexican lol
I hope I don't post this in the wrong place ...

GUYS, please comment your opinion of my level, i would like to see what do you think about my level

Update: Now the level can be played in Co-op

Attachments

• srb20019.gif
    srb20019.gif
    5.8 MB · Views: 560
  • srb20020.gif
    srb20020.gif
    5.3 MB · Views: 357
  • srb20021.gif
    srb20021.gif
    6 MB · Views: 302
  • srb20022.gif
    srb20022.gif
    4.7 MB · Views: 311
  • srb20023.gif
    srb20023.gif
    5.4 MB · Views: 311
  • srb20030.gif
    srb20030.gif
    4.3 MB · Views: 269
  • Spring City 4.0 by PepsiJuan666.rar
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,002
Last edited:
As far as first stages go, this isn't too shabby.

A few tips,
You should direct the player better! There were a few spots where I wasn't too sure where you wanted me to go.

You could layer paths a bit more. If you fall down at the bottom you have to go all the way back. Instead, make falling down to the bottom an entirely seperate path.

Tone down on the enemies! You have a lot of those Bird enemies here (BASH's) They're extremely noisy and I'll get hit by one completely without warning while on a spring.

You'll have to be more mindful of your enemy placement. You can place a few of the Bird badniks to apply pressure to the player in tandem with an enemy better suited for punishing the player, like a Spincushion, Lance-a-bot, or Green Snapper. The amount of enemies you're placing currently is just annoying.

This texture is not made for walls. See that cyan? That is because this is a transparent texture. You'll need to apply that to a transparent FOF for it to display correctly. You should find a better texture for this wall.
srb21128.png

Other than that, I hope to see what you create in the future.

I forgot to mention- you should give your rings the `[8] Float` flag, so that they aren't touching the ground.

OMG MY FIRST CRITIQUE :D

Thanks for the tips, in the release 2.0, i will fix these errors.

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

I forgot to mention- you should give your rings the `[8] Float` flag, so that they aren't touching the ground.

- low roads
-guide the player
-lower amount of enemies
-floating rings
-change the texture of the grids
very good, I'll fix that, I'll see how else I can improve the level.

thanks

I want to expand on what Kwiin mentioned, especifically regarding direction.

When you start the level, you follow a route like this:

YbVCjw0.png

Which ends with the player facing this direction:

QIep4E9.png

The player is now looking at a chasm with floating springs, not knowing where to go - the player has to stop and look around. This is a Sonic game, you want to keep the flow going!

Here's an example of something you can do:

5KEULys.gif

I've raised the garden and moved two of the ring circles to it, and the third ring circle was turned into a "path" (I forgot to move the bomb, you should do that yourself if you follow this advice). Like this, the player can't be distracted by a part of the level they haven't reached yet, and their attention is completely on the trail of rings. They'll follow this trail, and naturally be orientated to the direction they have to go. Maybe the player will stop and grab the rings on the little garden, but they'll have the path of rings in their minds so even if they see the chasm with floating springs, they'll know that's not where they're supposed to go.

The BASH was also moved to the side - the way it is right now, it's possible for the player character to block the view of the BASH, so the player might take damage they couldn't avoid and feel the level is being unfair. But moving the BASH makes it much easier to see and the player can react to it. Maybe I moved it a little too far and you want to keep it closer so it's a bigger threat, I don't know. You're the one making the map so those details should be left to you. But it's important that the player can see these hazards so they can respond in time.

(of course I've also changed the texture - the cyan fence textures are to be used for FOFs, not for regular walls and floors!)

There are two other places where the lack of proper direction is noticeable:

l2dQFxA.png

Where am I supposed to go? The level carried me this way, I'm just moving forward. But in front of me there's only a wall and a pit! What do I do!?

Here, the player is supposed to jump off the right side to some rooftops. But there's nothing communicating this!

The easy solution would be to add a line of rings in the air. The player would follow those rings and jump, and those rings would take them to the rooftop of the other building. But maybe that's too easy. What if instead of a big wall, the buildings had tunnels, and those tunnels would take the player to the way forward? Something like this:

3jsZuA5.png

The player can keep moving, instead of having to notice the rings, and then having to stop and line up the jump. Again, flow!

Lastly, there's this segment:

9P9zebk.png

Here, you're supposed to go from platform to platform and eventually reach a checkpoint hidden behind a barrier of bumpers. However... it's too easy to just do this:

WSbIc0Y.gif

...and miss the checkpoint completely. How can you fix this? Maybe extra buildings to block the sight of the road, maybe rings in the air to guide the player on what the next platform is supposed to be, maybe all the platforms need to be moved so that it's more obvious what the way forward is. I'll leave it to you to discover the solution.

Besides that,
  • You forgot to texture this platform.
  • This is annoying. If I'm not supposed to jump on this building, make it taller! Invisible walls are NOT FUN.
  • Like Kwiin said, the bottom of the level doesn't have to be a punishment where you have to walk to the start of the segment and try again. It could be an opportunity for a second path, that takes you to the end of the level while giving you a different experience. Makes your levels more replayable, and replayability is important!

I'm looking forward to see what other levels you make!

I want to expand on what Kwiin mentioned, especifically regarding direction.

When you start the level, you follow a route like this:

YbVCjw0.png

Which ends with the player facing this direction:

QIep4E9.png

The player is now looking at a chasm with floating springs, not knowing where to go - the player has to stop and look around. This is a Sonic game, you want to keep the flow going!

Here's an example of something you can do:

5KEULys.gif

I've raised the garden and moved two of the ring circles to it, and the third ring circle was turned into a "path" (I forgot to move the bomb, you should do that yourself if you follow this advice). Like this, the player can't be distracted by a part of the level they haven't reached yet, and their attention is completely on the trail of rings. They'll follow this trail, and naturally be orientated to the direction they have to go. Maybe the player will stop and grab the rings on the little garden, but they'll have the path of rings in their minds so even if they see the chasm with floating springs, they'll know that's not where they're supposed to go.

The BASH was also moved to the side - the way it is right now, it's possible for the player character to block the view of the BASH, so the player might take damage they couldn't avoid and feel the level is being unfair. But moving the BASH makes it much easier to see and the player can react to it. Maybe I moved it a little too far and you want to keep it closer so it's a bigger threat, I don't know. You're the one making the map so those details should be left to you. But it's important that the player can see these hazards so they can respond in time.

(of course I've also changed the texture - the cyan fence textures are to be used for FOFs, not for regular walls and floors!)

There are two other places where the lack of proper direction is noticeable:

l2dQFxA.png

Where am I supposed to go? The level carried me this way, I'm just moving forward. But in front of me there's only a wall and a pit! What do I do!?

Here, the player is supposed to jump off the right side to some rooftops. But there's nothing communicating this!

The easy solution would be to add a line of rings in the air. The player would follow those rings and jump, and those rings would take them to the rooftop of the other building. But maybe that's too easy. What if instead of a big wall, the buildings had tunnels, and those tunnels would take the player to the way forward? Something like this:

3jsZuA5.png

The player can keep moving, instead of having to notice the rings, and then having to stop and line up the jump. Again, flow!

Lastly, there's this segment:

9P9zebk.png

Here, you're supposed to go from platform to platform and eventually reach a checkpoint hidden behind a barrier of bumpers. However... it's too easy to just do this:

WSbIc0Y.gif

...and miss the checkpoint completely. How can you fix this? Maybe extra buildings to block the sight of the road, maybe rings in the air to guide the player on what the next platform is supposed to be, maybe all the platforms need to be moved so that it's more obvious what the way forward is. I'll leave it to you to discover the solution.

Besides that,
  • You forgot to texture this platform.
  • This is annoying. If I'm not supposed to jump on this building, make it taller! Invisible walls are NOT FUN.
  • Like Kwiin said, the bottom of the level doesn't have to be a punishment where you have to walk to the start of the segment and try again. It could be an opportunity for a second path, that takes you to the end of the level while giving you a different experience. Makes your levels more replayable, and replayability is important!

I'm looking forward to see what other levels you make!

OH... i see, welp i'll fix it to, let me open the Zone Builder and change those errors

thanks for the feedback :D

I love playing SpringocityZone! Honestly, Springopolis has to be one my favorite stage mods yet! I mean, come on! Springburg is packed with lots of fun to be had, and Yard City has it!

Due to me not knowing how to make levels (probably because my laptop broke and i have to use the android port) i can't really think of any major problems with this map, i liked it

Due to me not knowing how to make levels (probably because my laptop broke and i have to use the android port) i can't really think of any major problems with this map, i liked it
Thanks lol, also I hope you get another laptop soon hehe

version 2 is pretty cool and i like the new bottom route but why did you make that last spring to spring part before the end of the level and why is there spikes it was the big hurt but still good level

version 2 is pretty cool and i like the new bottom route but why did you make that last spring to spring part before the end of the level and why is there spikes it was the big hurt but still good level
Oh, well i thought that was a pretty good idea, but i think it fails xd, well, in version 3.0 i will change the exit route and a few more things

Stay tuned... again xd

This level is really good, though I do have a word of advice: I don't think Orbital Hangar's music fits. Maybe you should replace it with another song or just... I don't know, your choice, I guess.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back