Super Mario Odyssey: 3 years later

Oh man oh god... it's been three years since Mario Odyssey captured out hearts. However, we must ask... does it still hold up tod-
Of course it does. But what do you think about it now? I personally hold this as my favorite game of all time, but how about you?

Of course Mario Odyssey still holds up. However my thoughts on it being absolutely perfect has changed since. For starters, there are too many moons in the game which can destroy the significance of the moons that are fun to get through side stages/challenges, yet that same moon can be acquired by groundpounding in a certain spot. These filler moons where you grtoundpund areas, put on the correct clothes, or talk to this guy can get repetitive and a chore to get upon replaying the game. However, it's never required to get all the moons and some moons to get are super fun to do because you can do it the way the designers made it, or you can tackle it using mario's moveset. So the "too many moons" argument is kindof a nitpick in my eyes. Despite this, I still enjoy my time with Mario Odyssey 3 years after release and is essentially my favorite Mario game simply for it's expansive and fun moveset to play with in a sandbox world that caters to both casuals and more experienced players alike. Oh and balloon mode is much more fun than I had imagined :)

Mario Odyssey is literally the Super Mario 65 we waited for 20 years!

PS: and it's the best Sonic Adventure game we ever had.

Is Odyssey the best 3D Mario? Probably. Would I ever play it again? Probably not. Can I still replay 64 and Sunshine? Heck yeah!

It's funny, because A Hat in Time made me realize that I prefer 3D platformers. Odyssey just reaffirmed that games (levels) can be too long, like Freedom Planet or Golden Souls 2. I think Forestale taught me that I don't like platformers as much as I thought I did.

Maybe it's just a natural reaction to oversaturation. I mean I think I dislike first person shooters, but Doom II is my favorite game. Almost the opposite situation, except there would be a few platformers in my top ten. Well, at least I'm certain that rpg is currently my favorite genre.

Maybe it's just a natural reaction to over-saturation. I mean I think I dislike first person shooters, but Doom II is my favorite game. Almost the opposite situation, except there would be a few platformers in my top ten. Well, at least I'm certain that RPG is currently my favorite genre.
I can see that, like how the 16-bits console era got saturated with Mascot Platformers (this is why we got Bubsy) in the same way FPS (especially the military-themed ones) saturated the PS360 era.

I believe that a genre can still be alive through indie games (for exemple Ultrakill brings back fast-paced Quakelike action FPS) in the same way a Hat in Time brought back old-school 3D platformers.

I can see that, like how the 16-bits console era got saturated with Mascot Platformers (this is why we got Bubsy) in the same way FPS (especially the military-themed ones) saturated the PS360 era.

I believe that a genre can still be alive through indie games (for exemple Ultrakill brings back fast-paced Quakelike action FPS) in the same way a Hat in Time brought back old-school 3D platformers.

Oops, I meant oversaturation in platformer market. I didn't need more than a handful of shooters to know I only really liked id shooters. Although, I did enjoy a few others. But I could never get into Build engine games, for example.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back