SRB2 The Past 1.08.c

glaber

Emblem Radar Ready
Mod is not compatible with 2.2
An update will be released at a later date TBD

OPEN GL is NOT Supported. Please do not report any crashes encountered in this visual mode.

Trailer link:
Moderator Notice:
Link redacted

SRB2 the Past is designed to be a Playable experience of SRB2's history, bringing forth past versions of levels, unlockables, and secrets.

In this Latest update, we have an entirely new Museum hub map (big thanks to RomioTheBadass), Red Volcano, the second Half of the TGF stages, and a new Mini hub for Unlockable stages.
Stages that once contained secrets that were missing last time now have them restored. However, Hyper powers are beyond my ability.

New to the package are 2 versions of a version of Sonic based on the Place holder Sonic Xtreme Sprites from all the way back in SRB2 Halloween and SRB2 Christmas.
Placeholder Xtreme Sonic comes in normal and High Speed variants. Both have a high acceleration, Multi-thok, and poor spin dash charge time.

This update also brings forth a much needed change to the TGF stages, PROPER SLOPES. Thanks to the SRB2 Devs, the TGF Stages can now have real slopes instead of those lag inducing pseudo slopes.

Other smaller changes have been made as well, including, but not limited to, the placement of missing emblems from last version,

For those looking for the split download, I have decided against doing one this time. This time there is now a compressed and uncompressed version. You can find the compressed version as part of the big everything bundel, while the uncompressed version can be found in the external link below.

Mirrors:
Full Bundle: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y4g7_qgyuw1qCwlzfSbczyDHzptxfLP7/view?usp=sharing

Past Updates:
Single Player
1.08.c: Fixed an issue with players being trapped in a box in the SRB2 Mesuem in Multiplayer mode
something on the north end of the map was done too

1.08.b: Fixed Techno Hill act 2 1.08 and 1.09.4 (1.09.4 version was not reported)

1.04:
Added Techno Hill Zone up to 2.0.7
Mini Hubs
Hidden levels
Half the SRB2 TGF and TGF Christmas Stages
A way to get to Disco Dash without cheats
Multiplayer Stages from 2.0.7 (Multiplayer)
A room for the concept art of SRB2's Badniks (complete with said concept art)
and several attract mode demos

SRBTP Multiplayer
12/28: minor fixes

Christmas Restoration
1/1/16: Added missing graphics and replace a few.
Confirmed Bugs and other mistakes
Disco Dash on 2.1.15: Polyobjects have extra solid top textures in their target sectors
Red Volcano Hub: Volcano misspelled
Multiple levels:
Lower unpegged lines are no longer properly aligned.
Reminder, give as many details as possible when reporting a bug. The more I have, the better chance it can get fixed.

Extra Credits:
Wolfy for the Multi-thok script and "S" for helping me to get it working.

Attachments

• srb20024.png
    srb20024.png
    56.6 KB · Views: 9,716
  • srb20032.png
    srb20032.png
    68 KB · Views: 8,661
  • srb20035.png
    srb20035.png
    141.5 KB · Views: 9,316
  • srb20017.png
    srb20017.png
    83.4 KB · Views: 8,454
  • PlaceholderSonic.zip
    212.3 KB · Views: 5,572
  • MRTF_SRB2thepastMutiplayer1.08.a.wad.zip
    19 MB · Views: 6,275
  • SRB2ThePast1.08.c.zip.001
    60 MB · Views: 6,490
  • SRB2ThePast1.08.c.zip.002
    35.3 MB · Views: 5,771
Last edited by a moderator:
You don't know how long i have been waiting for this to come out, Really good job =D .

My guess, just about as long as it took to get this up and running on 2.1 Believe it or not, that was the hard part as I had to fix up the SOC for every custom object in the mod.

You might also want to update your signature =P, I just hope there won't be any other changes to SOC Format in future versions .

Here are a few short thoughts.

- The individual hubs for level variants is a step in the right direction. However, these hubs need to be easier to traverse (especially Techno Hill Zone's) and the geometry needs to be more original and more organic. More and more and more hubs is probably the best way to approach this, going forward.
- Including all the bosses in the main hub is an absolute clusterfuck, there's no way to put this lightly. The Sea Egg disappears sometimes, loud noises from Brak and Eggscalibur can be heard from across the map, and the Egg Slimer...
- The SRB2 TGF remake is garbage. Polyobjects intersect FOFs and cause huge errors, the sheer amount of FOF slopes lags the game horribly. Wait a version and make the slopes with actual slopes next time.
- The main hub itself is 1.09 tier cancer. Just remove it.

Addressing the SRB2 TGF stages, Progress on them was actually halted after Techno Hill once I found out we were getting actual slopes. Looking forward, there's no way I can handle Mine Maze without 2.2's slopes. Plus, I'm already planning on replacing the Pseudo Slopes with the Real ones.

Unfortunately, due to the Garbage way the real TGF stages were designed, Polyobject intersection with FOFs is unavoidable. I don't exactly have the luxury of using the same method for getting around this the same way as Eggrock Zone did.

Addressing the SRB2 TGF stages, Progress on them was actually halted after Techno Hill once I found out we were getting actual slopes. Looking forward, there's no way I can handle Mine Maze without 2.2's slopes. Plus, I'm already planning on replacing the Pseudo Slopes with the Real ones.

Unfortunately, due to the Garbage way the real TGF stages were designed, Polyobject intersection with FOFs is unavoidable. I don't exactly have the luxury of using the same method for getting around this the same way as Eggrock Zone did.
Why don't you edit your Quote? You released the newest version of SRB2 The Past

If you recognise that there's something bad in your mod and you can't complete it in the game's current state, remove it. It is not worth keeping something bad around.

Speaking of something bad that you're keeping around, the hub world is completely awful right now. If you kept only the zone hubs, the access to Halloween and Christmas and maybe that concept art gallery, you'd be a lot closer to something actually palpatable. I was so excited for this, but that train wreck of a main hub is just the worst. Please.

I'll be honest, I haven't considered an Overhaul to the main hub mainly because I haven't gotten any feedback on it in the past 3 years since it was added. This is actually the first time I'm getting any real feedback on it.

that's not to say the Mesuem won't get Overhauled or Replaced, it will. It will take time though as I'll need to plan it out, think what's going to be kept, what's going to be removed along side the noisy bosses.

Maybe actually turn the badnik holding pens into a Zoo or something.

also in regards to the TGF stages, I could complete them now, but I'm thinking people would prefer 2.2's slopes over more of my pseudo slopes. Also if there's a way to get around needing poly Objects in Green Flower TGF, I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited:
I didn't play the whole thing, but I'd recommend double-checking that you have the right lumps in the right places. For example, I shouldn't need the music wad and multiplayer wad in order to get all of the sprites to show up in the museum. In the case of this particular pack, you might want to just stick everything into one big wadfile.

That said, I really like the museum. Seeing all of the bosses behind glass is pretty dang neat, even if it does cause some problems :P

there should be a Graphics Wad file too. You can find that in the single player zip

Otherwise, the full package wad with everything except multiplayer in it is available already in the first post. It's the top Drop Box link.

Last edited:
There are two things that throw me off in the Christmas Mode restoration. The way that Arid Canyon's floor is a weird mix of beige with light blue, and the fact that snow doesn't falls in any of the levels at all. But yeah, I was hoping to see Christmas mode being brought back, in a way or another.

Last edited:
Nice, how did you find the 2K3 Maps ?. ^_^
Anyways here's A Few (EDIT : Lot of) notes after testing the maps :
[EDIT 30/12/2015] :
  • Special stages don't show time left
  • If somebody loses his rings while playing special stages, there's possibility to not be able to beat em because Rings don't respawn in Multiplayer, this may prevent others from Winning .
  • Some Middle textures are moving wierdly in The first SRB2 TGF Level .
  • The guy near Toad in MAP01 can be pushed .
  • GFZ Hub map doesn't seem to work fine, if you jump over the 3D Floor above the level change sign, it'll change the level .
  • Instead of separating each level's HUB, Put them all in MAP01 and create teleports .
  • The bosses in the Museum map are noisy in an annoying way (especially 2.0s Final boss , Ugh), Just create new and silent Bosses that share the same sprites .
  • The thing from THZ2 that throws lazer on you (Which i don't know what is it called) does an annoying sound too .
  • All the players will view the Concept art texts if someone triggers them, Make them log texts instead .
  • ICZ1 From SonicDoom as a Match level ? that's surprising, Would be better if you make it a Singleplayer/Coop Map instead .
  • Some objects in ICZ1 Just don't seem to work, <!> Error .
  • ICZ1 is just no way near playable, you might get stuck because some areas aren't accessible, and You can't even get back to some others if You're playing as Sonic .
  • Try to reduce the amount of the fake slopes in SRB2TGF Maps, just use Normal (bigger) stairs instead .
  • There's a sky under the table in Dual Fortress Zone (CTF MAP22) .
  • Players spawn In-air in 2.0.7 Nimbus Ruins Zone (CTF MAP85) .
  • Some of Match maps aren't available to select for Tag,Hide and Seek, and Team Match .
  • Christmas Match map has no Background Music .
  • Some beta maps don't have MIDIs (Not set in their MAINCFG either), like beta GFZ,THZ ... etc .
  • MAPX4 (Egg Base Zone) isn't Multiplayer friendly, the crushers don't lower again when they raise which may cause death for Players at start (Even when they respawn again) .
Everything above is basically just the things that made the Level Packs annoying, they're still playable (Except ICZ1 of course) .

Last edited:
I got the 2k3 maps thanks to Mystic himself providing a download of SRB2 Tournament 2K3.

Now unfortunately, SRB2 the past has always been haunted by SRB2 vanilla's hard coded bugs. Such as the missing timer in on foot special stages.

Sadly, the way the on foot versions work is probably part of why Vanilla doesn't use them anymore. Like because of the way ring loss works in them, and hence why ring loss hazards were removed in 1.09.

Now making the echo's into log text, I'm not sure how well that would work. If I can figure out how to restrict them to just the player that triggered them, I will at least do that.

Dual Fortress' issue may be a result of how the stage was built. Despite being kept that way for accuracy, I think at this point, some "faking" may be necessary just to remove the visual bug.

I'll be getting a fix up for Multiplayer later tonight.

As for the missing midi issue I'll look into that tonight as well.

Wow, i played SRB2 1.09.4 for the first time ever and there was things that i missed from the older version

This is what i call "A master piece" the museum, the old levels, that art gallery, everithing, this is a master piece, job well done

Btw, i had a crash on Deep Sea Zone 3 on Beta Quest if i renember correctly, that happened when i was on OpenGL

Last edited:
As with Vanilla SRB2, Open GL is unsupported, use at your own risk.

also I have updated the multiplayer pack with a few fixes, the under-table sky is still there for now, but the other problems have been fixed and all the CTF Stages from 2K3 down to demo 4 are now match mode compatiable.

I've also now included a bat file with the music zip so that you can use all of the 3 split files as if they were one.

I Just spotted another bug by the way :P
  • MAPX4 (Egg Base Zone) isn't Multiplayer friendly, the crushers don't lower again when they raise which may cause death for Players at start (Even when they respawn again) .

I second replacing the museum hub with something that's easier to navigate and looks a ton better. And also erasing SRB2 TGF, it's near unplayable.

I also managed to crash on THZ2 of the Beta quest, where I cannot say cause the entire zone is a one-texture mess.

Then there's the Christmas Mode which I was giving hopes for but turned out to be solid for only our favourite first 2 zones. DSZ is almost unchanged except for an awkward patch of white here and there and CEZ is just horrendous. The dried rivers in ACZ also have bizarre texturing.

Does anyone else get it, or am I the only one? Could be I did something wrong though the only thing I added and considered needing to be added was the XmasRestore.wad.

dcpl6t.jpg

2hev62d.jpg

2eupjx2.jpg

2h360rk.jpg

52yu7t.png

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back