• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Dumbventure ...TOO!? El Papero Mareio - *In English! - Progress Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

D00D64

Probably Responsible
FairAgitatedAltiplanochinchillamouse.gif

This is the topic for the... Sequel? Spinoff? Prequel?
...of Sonic Dumbventure - Volume 1: Donkey Kracken's Disasterous Quest[sic]

Dumbventure ...TOO!? El Papero Mareio - *In English! is focused on Mareio, as he does... something or other. This topic is all about me posting my progress on it as I go along. It used to be a topic just for my general anything, but... it escalated rather quickly. Keep coming back, you may find something new!

Original Post ------------------

Since the Random Project Thread was taken down for... reasons, I'm just gonna make a topic for whatever dumb thing I'm doing and randomly decide if I'm going to provide context or not. So for now, let's start with this:

srb20198.gif

srb20200.gif

Your guess is as good as anyone else's. Unless you were on IRC when I explained it. Then ~shhhhhhhh~.

Oh, and thanks to toaster for making the shadows and letting me use them!

Last edited:
srb20212.gif

Thanks to RedEnchilada & Pac's Axis2D code, I was able to repurpouse it (again, thanks ro RedEnchilada for basically telling my stupid self how) for isometric control, as well as force Mareio to face left and right at all times. Also, he now has his hammer! It's hitbox may look a bit too small, but he'll be fighting bigger enemies more suited for him. Now, this Mareio isn't a charwad, but rather the start of another upcoming project that I just KNOW that I will give up in a few weeks and never return to again! But in the meantime, Mareio still has more moves to learn!

Last edited:
Mareio looks so aipic111!!1!!1

BTW, This is a nice thing you got there but I wonder if that axis 2D thing will let you get every single srb2 level work in 2d... Tough it's an interresting concept :3

36GeSTK.png

OIUu80A.png

So thanks to my internet being out of commission for awhile, I had barely any documentation to do things, but I made a lot of progress regardless. Started an actual level, made the goombas, altered the hud, so we're getting somewhere in... whatever this is.

8p0P6Cr.png

I added a Flower Point counter, so modifications to the hud and new health items were made. What are you using FP for if there's no RPG battles? You'll see...

Oh, I also have a question for you guys!

Normally, 1ups are green mushrooms, but in the Paper Mario series, green mushrooms are Ultra Shrooms.
Meanwhile, the closest thing to a 1up in the Paper Mario games are Life Shrooms.

So for a 1up, should I use the Ultra Shroom, or the Life Shroom?

Last edited:
srb20215.gif

When used on the ground, the Spin key is used to add power to your hammer.
At the cost of 3FP, you can use the Quake Hammer to attack with a wide radius!

That's how the Ultra Hammer looked in Paper Mario 1 and TTYD. I wouldn't be surprised if it was based off those toy hammers, though. Amy's hammer is based off those same squeaky hammer toys.

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

bcvUDvf.png

Changed the numbers at last, and added more textures to use.

Now if only I can find a suitably large coin...

If you are looks for Paper Mario 64 coin sprites, I remember there was some on The Spriters Resource if you are interested.

All you have to do is find a suitable coin replacement and get rid of that awful vanilla background, and the fact that it's SRB2 will be completely unrecognizable.

So this is basically Sticker Star with FP and no turn-based battles, right?

If you are looks for Paper Mario 64 coin sprites, I remember there was some on The Spriters Resource if you are interested.

I know, but the PM64 coins sprites always felt too small for me. I may end up using them anyway, but I'm keeping an eye out for alternatives.

So this is basically Sticker Star with FP and no turn-based battles, right?

I was thinking SPM without as many RPG elements, but whatever.

Yeah, its basically Sticker Star with no RPG elements and more emphasis on platforming like SPM. It's basically just an isometric platformer with some light puzzles and a few secrets. Doesen't sound too exciting, but... Well, you'll see.

Anywhos, I updated some more! GIFs behind the spoiler, I've been forgetting to do that. Nothing that spoils any plot or whatever, I'll let you know when there's gonna be a spoiler like that...

srb20217.gif

Coin blocks with multiple coins are custom monitors now. They come in 5, 10, and 25 packs.

srb20218.gif

And something I forgot to bring up; Goomba... "AI", you can say. They only see 1024 units ahead and if you are out of sight, like behind a wall, they'll stop and lose sight of you. However, if they keep pursuing you, they'll walk right off cliffs! Other enemies may behave similarly, depending on who they are.

srb20219.gif

I remember having bigger coin sprites somewhere on my old laptop. I'll look into it tomorrow.

srb20222.gif

I added another move to Mareio's arsenal; the stupid boring double jump! But in a mod where your jump is a bit on the short side, this can lead to shortcuts and goodies you normally wouldn't reach. I plan to make Mareio able to damage enemies on his ascent, so it can be used as an anti-air move. Oh, I forgot to mention; jumping into an enemy wont kill it. You need to jump on it. After all, you're not some rapidly spinning animal or anything!

srb20222.gif

I added another move to Mareio's arsenal; the stupid boring double jump! But in a mod where your jump is a bit on the short side, this can lead to shortcuts and goodies you normally wouldn't reach. I plan to make Mareio able to damage enemies on his ascent, so it can be used as an anti-air move. Oh, I forgot to mention; jumping into an enemy wont kill it. You need to jump on it. After all, you're not some rapidly spinning animal or anything!

Oh wow, this is nice.
How about giving him a roll? (That lets him dodge and stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back