Sonic the Hedgehog: the Card Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arrow

Old-school composer
BEGIN FLASHBACK

One day, on alt.fan.sonic-hedgehog, after having played several rounds of the X-Men card game, I suggested that the lot of us attempt to create a Sonic-based card game. The idea actually took off, since nothing to the sort had been done before (or at least, not with any relatively professional quality). Ideas were tossed, gameplay was designed, and over two dozen people submitted suggestions. Of our group, only Andy, Blaze, and Jackel were involved with helping idea-wise at the time (and I believe only Andy was involved in the initial newsgroup discussion). Several promising artists came onboard, and we got most everything thought out. The problem was, we tried several times to find a programmer would take on the job for us, and each time our attempts failed. After three such attempts, the project fell into a serious remission and hadn't been touched since.

That was five years ago.

END FLASHBACK

After experiencing some dramatic troubles with my PC that ended in a reformat, I was going through the stuff I managed to backup and realized that I still had all the old documentation for the game on my hard drive. I also realized that, after several years of chatting and coding in mIRC, that I knew a 'programming language' that this game could actually see fruition in. So I looked things over, re-familiarized myself with all the rules we designed, and thought "Why not?"

So I've recently been working on the game. My last mIRC project, Wavestorm, was pretty much graphicless, but since this is a card game, I could actually include graphics as long as I didn't attempt to include something mIRC couldn't handle, like animation. The results have been pleasing so far, to the extent that I actually think I might be able to get out a full-functioned 'final' version of this game within the month. PC0, Neo, Ice, and Smidge started handing me suggestions in #srb2 as well, since they're more familiar with card games of the modern age than I am and knew the game could use some more depth to it. Having it coded in mIRC means cheap and easy online multiplayer. The single player mode might be a little harder to implement since I have no experience in coding AI, but I have to take the plunge sometime. Whether that mode will make the initial release is questionable, since that would probably delay it past the end-of-April tentative release date.

I'll probably need some graphic artists to give me a hand later on with either drawing new artwork or just finding good screencaps, to replace the current set of cards with. Some of these cards aren't exactly impressive visually. Anyways, I wanted to post about this here to see what people thought about it and whether there'd be any actual interest.

http://arrow.rangerwiki.com/sonictcg/ is the "site" (more like folder) that currently contains the scattered documentation, as well as in-progress screenshots. Screenshots 3 and 4 are from the most up-to-date version, and by looking at those and reading the all-explaining rules.txt, you all should be able to get a good idea of what I'm going for.

Rules.txt doesn't go into detail on this, but the game will come with two starter packs, Hero and Dark, and will have two to three booster packs immediately purchasable in a shop, whose mechanics will work similar to the Black Market from SA2 (play the game online, get rings for losing, get more rings for winning, add whatever rings you had upon winning the battle as well, and use the rings to buy packs). The screenshots are all using characters from booster packs, with the exception of Sonic, Big, Dr. Robotnik, and Chaos in that first screenshot. Future booster packs will be included in game updates rather than downloadable seperately (I have SatAM, AoStH, SoUnd, and Riders packs planned already).

So, what do you think? Opinions? Suggestions? Feel free to reply.

And yes, I have considered doing this in YVD. However, doing it that way would make the idea for downloadable booster packs pretty much invalid. Also, Smidge made a tentative comment in #srb2 the other day about using this game for tournaments doing SAGE... if that comes to pass, having it done in mIRC will actually make things easier with socket/PHP combinations.

No, this is not a "ZOMFG LIEK TEH PEEPZ R ARKSIN 4 TEH HELPZ!!4! k1LL Z33 TOPICZ!!1" topic. There are two major reasons:

#1) He has provided a large amount of information outlining what he has already done, as well as a specific plan for what he wants to do. I mainly object to people who ask for help on a non-existant project.
#2) Arrow has already completed a similar project, called Wavestorm, which proves he is capable of seeing something like this through to completion.

I don't mind asking for help. I mind asking for help when the project doesn't even exist yet. Anyone can say they'll make the best game ever, but very few actually get beyond the planning stages. Arrow has shown images, work, and has prior experience in the field. Duke Nukem Forever this ain't, and he's perfectly allowed to ask for help with a project he's obviously actually put forth effort on.

So... Magic Cards using sonic characters? Me like. You could use the 'barriers' as lands. *sacrifices 1 armageddon, 2 Fire and 2 Water barriers*

I SUMMON FORTH EGGHAMMER #2!!! *shot*

I'd like to do some of the art...and Omega, these will be time-taken drawings, not crappy scribbles done in 10 minutes. XP

a sonic card game? cool! but please make it easy, so that i can play it too.^^
but not SO easy looks like YU-GI-OH ok?

Walter

As I told you in #srb2, I am super pumped. I wish I had artistic talent so I could help you with this.

Maybe, maybe not. If nobody has figured it out yet, people stull use 1.09.2 because they don't visit the forums often. (or at all)

If a sonic card game comes along as a forum only release, (and I'm sure it'll be some online game thing) then ... ... ... something. *shot*

Big bump, but hey, oh well.

Is this project still active Arrow? It kinda got my interest, but since you moved your site, the info page isn't up, and I've heard no further updates.

I like the idea, but then I play too many games apparently...

I've just started studying for a degree Computer Gaming, so I might be able to help out with stuff. Like general strategies for AI (eg, one type might favour offence and another may focus on powering up one character...)

Arrow said:
The link (folder thing) dosn't work. Firefox says it can't find the server.

Hehe...

LOLZ...I found this on the internet a long time ago. THere are more too. You don't have to exactly use these, but they might be able to help (I dunno). On the site, you can make your own cards. But it is another language so I can't read it.

The site for these cards is: http://nacurusu.v10.com.br/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Portuguese.htm

PS: I know you said Magic-type cards. I am only giving this for effects and stuff if you need it.

Sonicandtails218 said:
Big bump, but hey, oh well.

Is this project still active Arrow? It kinda got my interest, but since you moved your site, the info page isn't up, and I've heard no further updates.

Yes, it's still active. I haven't been talking about it here because it's not quite as active as I wish (mainly because I'm also trying to make a new version of Wavestorm) and because I'm attempting to redesign the window format, which is taking a while.

DuelMasterP said:
I like the idea, but then I play too many games apparently...

I've just started studying for a degree Computer Gaming, so I might be able to help out with stuff. Like general strategies for AI (eg, one type might favour offence and another may focus on powering up one character...)

The link (folder thing) dosn't work. Firefox says it can't find the server.

Help with coding AI routines would be wonderful; I'll let you know when I get to that point.

I think Sep deleted my account because I wasn't using it. I've moved most everything to the domain I now own at rangerwiki.com, but the TCG stuff is the one thing I forgot to move. I'll reupload all that sometime in the next few minutes, and edit this post with the new URL when that's done.

EDIT: http://arrow.rangerwiki.com/sonictcg/. Added a sonictcg005.jpg to the pile, which isn't any more up to date than 3 or 4; just shows a different card selected from the current hand.

Dark Mystic said:
LOLZ...I found this on the internet a long time ago. THere are more too. You don't have to exactly use these, but they might be able to help (I dunno). On the site, you can make your own cards. But it is another language so I can't read it.

The site for these cards is: http://nacurusu.v10.com.br/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Portuguese.htm

PS: I know you said Magic-type cards. I am only giving this for effects and stuff if you need it.

Those won't help at all. The system for this card game is already laid out, and MtG cards aren't compatible at all. But thanks anyways.

For the record, I don't need help designing attacks and stuff. It's getting someone to draw pictures for the cards that I asked for originally. And even that has been moved further down the line, because I want to get a functional game running before I worry about artwork.

I've had a look at the files there now. ^_^

It looks good though. I can see lots of random number generations in the code...

Arrow said:
For the record, I don't need help designing attacks and stuff. It's getting someone to draw pictures for the cards that I asked for originally. And even that has been moved further down the line, because I want to get a functional game running before I worry about artwork.

RGX ready for Duty!

Arrow said:
Those won't help at all. The system for this card game is already laid out, and MtG cards aren't compatible at all. But thanks anyways.

Yu-Gi-Oh, not MtG :roll:

This looks as though it could turn into a very good card game Arrow, any other updates other than screenshots? Such as % completed?

All card games have simmilarities anyway. (And before anyone suggests I haven't played one, I play Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokemon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back