Your Mario Kart list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chromatian

KartKrew™
Sonic Team Junior
Kart Krew™️
Been playing a lot of Mario Kart lately, and I was wondering what opinion was on the series. Basically, just list the Mario kart games from most liked to least liked.

1. Mario Kart 64
2. Double Dash
3. Wii
4. Super Circuit
5. SNES
6. DS

I've never played the SNES version, so I don't really know where to place it.

What's your list?

1.Mario Kart Wii
2.Mario Kart DS

I played Double Dash many times, but I haven't played every track so I don't think listing it as third is a good idea.

1: Kart 64
2: Kart DS
3: Super Kart
4: Kart Wii

Wii last because fairly, they put way too much emphasis on items in that version.

EDIT: Just remembered I borrowed MKDS a long time ago. Updated the list

Last edited:
Top being cool. Lowest being lame.

1. Mario Kart Wii - Despite the issue with the items & the cheating issues on wifi, it really isn't as bad as some people say it is. It has some nice tracks, nice graphics, colourful environments and a nice set of characters & vehicles.

2. Mario Kart Double Dash - very fun title, although it took a small bit of time getting used to the 2 people in the same car system, though I thought most of the vehicles had bad stats. Some were either too fast, but you couldn't turn because the handling was crap, or the handling was great, but the acell or top speed were terrible enough to not make good progress. Some of the racetracks were quite good too.

3. Mario Kart Super Circuit - Quite a good Mario Kart game even though the tracks were just...flat. It has some nice levels, new & retro, pretty cool soundtrack and it kept me hooked for hours playing this. They could of done without the coin system in GP mode because that used to annoy the hell out of me, and some of the stupidly sharp corners like in Ribbon Road.

4. Mario Kart 64 - An average Mario Kart game. Fun with friends, but the physics & the controls were pretty sloppy at times. Steering wasn't easy, and slightly clipping the side of a rock could make tumble down and stop dead. Ramp jumps were almost impossible to do because of the game's physics, and spinning out more in higher difficulty because of steering the wheel quickly was also irritating as hell. Oh yeah, Yoshi Valley's giant egg can go fuck itself. Stupid thing. Multiplayer is fun when you have mates round though.

5. Mario Kart DS - Didn't enjoy this one as much as the others although I haven't played much of it, so I'll say what I have to say what I have currently played of it. I thought most of the tracks were filled with shortcuts which made the circuits too unbalanced. Not all,but the majority of them. Though Rainbow Road was awesome.

6. Super Mario Kart - I was very disappointed when I got this. The controls are absolutely terrible. It was like slipping on ice everywhere. The weapons were terrible and half the time always missed no matter the accuracy and the CPU ability is somehow nearly godly compared to you.

So yeah. That's my word on them. Until the 3DS Mario Kart comes out.

Last edited:
I haven't played every Mario Kart installment, but I'll list those of which I've played.

1: Mario Kart wii; Playing alone, or playing with family really makes this game shine. As enjoyable as single player Grand pre is, let's face it, Multiplayer makes this game significantly more fun. My only query is the reliance on items. It's practically impossible to win without hitting everything with a red shell, you can't simply out-drive them most of the time. The online features however, completely rival Xbox-live, a very user-friendly interface. I remember epic struggles to top the scoreboard, sweat pouring down my face. I have yet to reach the top...

2: Mario kart DS; I remember playing this game with several friends in the room. We'd usually have 3 DS's set up; me, my older cousin, and my younger cousin would have an all out brawl. We'd usually increase the AI's difficulty and work together as a team, but we also had a blast on opposite teams. Team racing was always intense, and we'd constantly pass one another just to get knocked back. I remember classic friendly trash talking when someone would ram the other straight into a cactus. Good times.

3: Mario Kart 64; As crazy as the latest Mario kart games are, they really didn't move far from Mario Kart 64's formula. They innovate, and innovate, but Mario Kart 64 started this madness. The controls can be rather wonky at times, but I like how this game doesn't make you rely on brute force. You're driving actually makes a difference.
There are some pretty memorable tracks I almost know like the back of my hand. Am I the only one that remembers how Beautiful the pictures in the background of rainbow road was? I couldn't help but name the character's face in the night sky, and smile.

Um, this is a tough one. Let me see...

1.Mario Kart DS
2.Mario Kart Wii
3.Mario Kart Super Circuit
4.Mario Kart Double Dash
5.Mario Kart 64
6.Super Mario Kart

The only reason the 64 and SNES versions are so low is because I didn't really play a lot of those two games.

I wished I played the Arcade version more than one time. CT does not have that arcade anywhere! :(

Now to sit and wait for the 3DS version to come out. Better have no damn bikes it it!

Out of the ones I've played...

Mario Kart DS
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Kart Double Dash
Mario Kart 64

Mario Kart 64 is placed last because racing cups in that isn't fun. it's just frustrating with its rubber banding computers.
Wii I just hate the items a lot.
DS was the one my friends and I got the most milage out of so I have a lot of bias for it. I think if DD was portable or had WiFi it'd be a lot better.

I've only played Double Dash and Wii in recent memory, and I must say that DD's drifting feels a lot worse that Wii's.

Well, I can't really number them, but I can tell about my personal opinions on them.

Super Mario Kart doesn't handle like anything else in the series, but it's enjoyable once you get the hang of the controls. I never really got into this, and the rubber band AI is really something else.

Mario Kart 64 has aged pretty well; plenty of new features over the original, the courses are varied, and the AI, while simplified, isn't cheapened with the ability to pull impossible feats, but rather serves to simply shape the gameplay; this is one of the few games where computers don't have access to red, green, or blue shells, which I think is a nice way to balance out the single player campaign and make up for the computers' auto-catch-up tendencies. Has one of the best battle courses in the entire series, and one of (I think) two games where the blue shell fucks everybody up, and not just the first placer.

Super Circuit - Haven't played extensively, don't have much of an opinion on it.

Double Dash - Great course designs, fun items, okay soundtrack, brought in a lot of things I don't like. I prefer the short-hop drifting, not the over-simplified method introduced here. The shell shield is gone, which is bullshit, and it's extremely easy to lose your items this time around. I guess it's almost made up for the fact that you can hold twice as many shells as usual, except computers are much more realistic now and have access to ALL the items. It's irritating as hell to have four blue shells hit you in the same course, and on the higher GP levels, this will happen plenty of times. At the very least, Bob-omb Blast is a great multiplayer gametype.

Mario Kart CT doesn't even deserve mention. The picture taking is cheesy and unnecessary in my opinion, the courses are bland rehashes of each other, and in the arcade I see this at, the damn thing swallows up a dollar when you start it up, plus an extra fifty cents whenever you decide to continue. I could be spending that kind of cash on Metal Slug.

Mario Kart DS - The dual screen opens up a completely new depth of strategy into the game. Not only do you have a map that tracks obstacles and players around you, but you can see what item everyone has. This is a great feature because it allows smart players to anticipate what their opponents are going to do, which in turn becomes the only real way to counter-act the new blue shell. Plenty of times, another player and I would sit beside each other because one of us had a blue shell and/or were planning on getting a superior item; a bit flow-breaking, but hilarious nonetheless. Snaking is definitely a problem; it's not fun due to it being a sore on your fingers, but there's a good chance that the next person you'll be playing online with wants to snake. Certainly upsets the kart balance. The item-losing mechanic has been lessened from Double Dash, but I'd still just rather not see it at all. Once again, though, the bottom screen allows you to decide more easily when you should use your items, so you never have to leave your success to luck.

Mario Kart Wii - Does a lot of nice upgrades, but ruins a lot of other aspects. Wheelies I can do without, but I love the mach bike because of its sharp, instant turning in comparison to the other karts and bikes; most of the other vehicles are nicely varied as well. As far as balance goes, this game is communistic. Thanks to the "twelve players" gimmick as well as the flood of new invincibilifying items, five players at a time will be wrecking anything the item decides it wants to wreck, and the leading players can only defend themselves with shit like banana peels and green shells, neither of which work on mega mushrooms or blue shells. Since getting wrecked results in the victim losing his item(s) and you have no item radar to assist you, all you can really do is drive well and hope to god that the roulette doesn't decide it doesn't like you. The fact that there's an item on top of this created solely for the sake of getting rid of other people's items just pisses me off further; I don't care if there's an exploit to keep your speed the same, I want to keep my god damn item!

The inclusion of twelve players also means that everyone is far more likely to be huddled into one collective mass. If you are in front of a crowd and you get hit by a shell, you have immediately dropped from 2nd place down to 7th. What's worse is that online play tallies points by placement, not by the relative time a player got in comparison to the best and worse in the game; this makes online play communistic, just like the rest of the game.

The redeeming aspect of the game for the skilled multiplayer enthusiast is the local multiplayer mode that you play whenever you're at a friend's house. Not because you can turn off computer players and don't have to deal with online's harsh ranking system, but because you can toggle the item settings. Ironically, all three settings besides "balanced" items is actually balanced. "Aggressive" and "strategic" quintessentially scales down the item variety so that everyone either has very weak to decent items, or decent items to very strong (unlike "balanced" mode, which ranges from very weak to very strong, which evidently doesn't work with this game). Even the best of players has a chance to defend themselves against the strongest available items this way, and it results in a much more fair atmosphere than the default settings provided. There's also "no items", but that gets pretty stale quickly.

Once again, MKWii has a lot of cool aspects to it, but the item balance is not one of them. Frankly, I think twelve players is just too much for the game anyway; it becomes too hectic in areas where the crowd isn't evenly spread out, and with the onslaught of incredibly powerful items, "skill" flies out the window and the whole thing becomes a big luck-based clusterfuck.

tl;dr I like MK64 and MKDS, as well as MKWii to some extent, but none of them are perfect.

1. Modnation Racers- Wait thats not a Mario Kart game, but due to the amount of people recreating mario characters, aswell as mario kart tracks, it's practically is one with a whole lot extra.
2. Mario Kart Wii- Sure its online mode is being ruined by hackers and glitchers, but it had bikes, and I like bikes. Plus races with 12 people.
3. Mario Kart Double Dash- Okay so the battle mode pretty much sucked, but being able to work with my brother and completing the special cup, made it that much better.
4. Mario Kart DS- Portable, and it has mission mode. Never played online though.

1. Mario Kart DS
The introduction of the retro cup, missions, and single-player battle mode was what won me over, but while some of the tracks are great (Waluigi Pinball), others seem quite poor by comparison (Yoshi Falls). Really, the mechanics introduced are more appealing to me than some of the tracks created for it.
2. Mario Kart 64
Mainly for the nostalgia factor, but MK64 has some really memorable track designs that I can still recall even years later, such as Kalimari Desert, Bowser's Castle and Rainbow Road (boring as it is, the flashing neon and incredible soundtrack are what redeemed it). But one of it's huge faults which I only recently discovered, is the game's horrible use of rubber-band AI. First place is difficult to hold onto because the computer tend to always stay on your butt no matter how good you're doing. And while later games do it too, it's really the most noticeable here.
3. Mario Kart Super Circuit
Haven't played this one as much, but it's really a throwback to the SNES version
(to the point of having all of the tracks from said game as an unlockable)
and while some of the tracks are pretty forgettable, it does have Sky Garden; my favorite track from any game.
4. Mario Kart Double Dash
The dual racer mechanic was overall unnecessary, and the items reserved for certain racers made King Boo and Petey Piranha the only racers worth using. This game also introduced the flying blue shell, which was unfortunately kept for future games instead of the more-useful standard blue shell. Courses were unmemorable, save for Rainbow Road and Daisy Cruiser.
5. Super Mario Kart
Haven't played much of this, but nothing really stood out other than the cheating AI (Oh look a star after I launch a shell how convenient). Granted, it is the first in the series and the computer hasn't been perfected yet, but it's still annoying nonetheless.
6. Mario Kart Wii
A bit of a mess, compared to the earlier games. Due to the addition of four more racers per track, everything feels a lot more cluttered and one unlucky item could easily cost you the race. Speaking of which, the item mechanics here are horrible. You can't really strategize when you're holding a shell or a banana, because somehow you're going to lose it in the next ten seconds anyway, even if the reason is beyond your control. Flying blue shells are still increasingly common and don't help you at all if you're in 8th-12th place. Track design is forgettable, and sometimes badly designed (Mushroom Canyon. Just... Mushroom Canyon.) Retro picks were questionable (Yoshi Falls? Really now?) and the racers themselves seem stacked (Funky Kong on Bowser's bike is incredibly common), not even mentioning the wheelies.
7. Mario Kart Arcade
lol no.

I remember playing that game, it sucked because I was forced to play as pac-man. (I pushed the steering wheel too hard.) Why was he in that game?

Pacman is in the game because Namco made the game. They just asked Nintendo for the use of Nintendo characters.

It's a cash-in. People are going to play it, because it's an arcade version of Mario Kart, which is a great idea!

And they're going to spend a dollar starting it up and never play it again, because it's obvious once you play it that Namco treated it as a casual game (ergo, no lasting appeal).

Double Dash is the shit, as is DS. MK64 has aged terribly, as has SMK.

Haven't played the Wii one, though.

Double Dash is indeed the shit. Can't speak for DS as I haven't played it.

Oh, and I thought 64 was loved by everyone(I could never see the appeal: Hell, I even enjoyed Super Mario Kart over it when it came out. The track designs were boring to me).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back