• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

WO123R: Oceanic Cove Zone 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sonic... oh why Sonic? I hate his gameplay SO MUCH.... the level just had to have forceskin didnt it? Well I cant get past the first crumbling platforms thanks to the lag and slippery shoes Sonic! This level would would be great if I could make it past.

Sonic... oh why Sonic? I hate his gameplay SO MUCH.... the level just had to have forceskin didnt it? Well I cant get past the first crumbling platforms thanks to the lag and slippery shoes Sonic! This level would would be great if I could make it past.
Play in multiplayer and type "skin tails" or "skin knuckles" into the console. But beware: The level is basically a cakewalk with another character.

MilesTraysandor said:
...but controlling Sonic on those icy platforms above deathtraps is virtually impossible unless you're some sort of uber-gamer.
Nah, you just need very good control over ice, and calm down when you feel you're moving very fast! Usually that's what makes you slip. Get used to jumping on slippery platforms, and then it won't be that hard.

MilesTraysandor said:
Some route clarification might help in a few places, especially when you force the player to go under water. They may be skeptical to go at first because most of the water in this level hurts you.
In another release, no water is going to hurt you. I've decided on that, and it seems that also was giving some a hard time. About route clarification, which places do you feel need "arrows" or something that also has the same purpose? I'm too familiar with the level (again, a year) to even guess.

@Whackjood: I'm glad to hear from you about this, but I'm sorry that the lag has brought you to a game over.

Whackjood said:
Well, regarding this level. On my computer at least it is completely unplayable. On low end of all things. With the drops in frame rate I spent about 4-5 minutes trying to get past the first 3 falling platforms because my jump button would only respond half the time, not to mention how it was half guess work whether I would make the jump or not due to the FPS. (only to find there were another two after that, much to my dismay.)
123 Runite said:
Also, to achieve full capability of the level in a server, make sure you are not running any other programs besides SRB2.
I did say "in a server," but let that statement also be in regards to single player. The beginning area for me lags just like it does in CEZ2. Sure there are hard platforming areas, but those will be changed for the next version, maybe in some minutes just so people can play it.

Whackjood said:
...whether it really is necessary to have to large lumps of text cover up the screen every time I die.
Why are those still there, I'll release a new version ASAP with that taken out... Perhaps I was just in a rush to release this, I completely forgot about those.

Callum said:
I'll upload a better version of Tidal Tempest Present with PROPER looping later on for you.

http://repos.srb2.org/srb2l/O_MAP54M.ogg
Thanks, you saved me more than a megabyte in filesize.

SpiritCrusher said:
But beware: The level is basically a cakewalk with another character.
When I made the level, I only thought about Sonic and what he can do :P.

I know many haven't read the entire first post, as that contains a lot of information about the level! And, it answers a lot of your complains. I've bolded the issues that will be fixed for the next version.

123 Runite said:
TO DO:

• *Add an underwater route, for the "platformerly challenged" (at the moment, there really is only one way through)
  • Add more starposts
  • Fix found texture misfits
  • Move a GFZGRASS texture hovering in the air to its rightful place
  • Find different music?
  • Take out some robots, especially Jettysyns / Create other robots related to the theme of the level, and place them in place of some existing ones
  • Make some of the platforming jumps more easier
  • Make the level playable for Tails and Knuckles in Single Player, and add stuff for them
  • Find ways to fix lag?
  • Fix some ice found to not have been slippery
  • Put in holes, or some openings, to show where water is coming from
  • Replace fake water with real water (except those in the starting area, reason mentioned)
  • Make more obvious which water can hurt and which can't... or perhaps make NO water hurt at all
  • Change some textures? -look over IWAD and see which textures also fit well
  • Do something about the beginning area in highend...
  • Find another way to move from one room to another, besides using obvious teleporters

I'll try to do all of the bolded statements as my time permits... and to release another version as soon as possible.

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

UPDATE
Build 7, Version 1.5.1 released

This is a rush update to just fix the common complaints in the level. This only affects the lowend edition. The next version will affect all detail levels.

Changelog below:

Code:
# Build 7, Version 1.5.1 changelog:
# *AN EMERGENCY UPDATE, BUT TO THE LOWEND EDITION, DUE TO LACK OF TIME
#  Took out the annoying script that was activated upon level load
#  Deleted some jettysyns throughout the level
#  Deleted a few crawlas on the ice platforms
#  Added a couple of starposts
#  NO water can hurt the player
#  Disabled forcecharacter
#  Fixed the floating GFZGRASS texture in the sky of the beginning area
#  Made platforming jumps in the beginning area a little easier, a bit too easier, all platforms crumble
#  Brightness levels in the first falling rocks area have been changed in the crumbling blocks area to show which
#   crumble
#  Fixed found texture misfits
#  Added a couple of arrows underwater, should you fall in
#  Gargoyle is now needed for something... (part of SECRET AREAS)
The lag hasn't been fixed, yet. Just try closing any other programs other than SRB2 when running the level. Also, the beta testers list hasn't been updated either. Some of the water also won't remain safe. I'm going to continue to think about that.

Build 7, Version 1.5.1 (rush fix) Download Links
(as of Monday, August 24, 2009):
Download now (mirror)

Please note there may be slight differences between Build 7 and the future Build 8 because of this inconsistency (changing only one detail version).

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be easier to just work on the highend version and release betas of that? Then you could just release all three versions on the more major releases. It might save you more time.

Thanks for the fix, even if it doesn't affect me because I only play the highend version. I hope you can do the mid- and highend versions soon enough. I seriously don't want to wait another year.

And what's with that underwater route? Do you mean a second route for the first room?

EDIT: Please tell me the old levels from the pack are going to be remade.

Last edited:
Thanks for the fix, even if it doesn't affect me because I only play the highend version. I hope you can do the mid- and highend versions soon enough. I seriously don't want to wait another year.
Well it depends with school. If I don't have much work, which I doubt, then I can really work on the level.

And what's with that underwater route? Do you mean a second route for the first room?
Right now, there really is only one main route to go through in the level. An underwater route, which will be accessible from the beginning, should you fall into the ocean, will be a second main route a little easier than the first. This is like making another level with one route again. I'll still have to think about what to put in the rooms of that route. Also, I'll have to figure out where is the best place for those two routes to merge into one. I would like the temple area and the final area to remain the closing of the level.

Please tell me the old levels from the pack are going to be remade.
The old levels are terrible, yes, and I hope I'll be able to revamp them with the same layout of this zone: one act that's a relatively long act, and then one act that's the boss act. I also hope it will take less time for another level. Again, this level was started a bit more than a year ago, but could've gotten finished if I didn't run out of ideas.

Last edited:
From what you said (complete second route, revamp of old stages, 16 zones or such), you're never gonna finish this.

SpiritCrusher said:
From what you said (complete second route, revamp of old stages, 16 zones or such), you're never gonna finish this.
I know :) I'll have to rewrite the list of planned zones. But the revamping of others will start when I'm done with OCZ.

Wow... just wow this level is HUGE like godzilla huge... its like Mystic Realm put in one level and this became it. Took me exactly 15 minutes to clear. Okay, enough about the size, the level was great, it looked really nice, played pretty well too (I was Knuckles) however, I dont think I can make it as Sonic or the time limit would be exceeded when by the time I reached the ending.

I would give the level a 9.5/10, the .5 missing because of the lag.

Also:

qovkh4.png

Reminds me of AGZ/NAGZ.

I really can't play this because of the damn lag. Also with the skin hack, Tails can't fly really well. I type the jump button rapidly and he doesn't want to fly right. With Knux, eh I got through some caves, but crumbling platforms + lag = game over. I blame the lag really.

Argh!!!
While I agree it's long and somewhat fun, there is no balance, no matter how much you look at it, between thok-based characters and other ability-based characters (A.K.A for Tails and Knux it's a "Cake Walk" but for Sonic it's like the Road to... well you know what I mean...)! And there's also unforgivable parts (like for example: a simple current that leads to your death, a said "normal" path that breaks and falls while you're in the middle of it, having the need to jump from a very tiny, little FOF to an icy platform, etc...) that are annoying too.
To put it short, while it's good and all, it's the most unforgivable act I ever played (Darn, ERZ2 is nothing in comparison to this...!).
7,5/10.

Last edited:
Argh!!!
While I agree it's long and somewhat fun, there is no balance, no matter how much you look at it, between thok-based characters and other ability-based characters (A.K.A for Tails and Knux it's a "Cake Walk" but for Sonic it's like the Road to... well you know what I mean...)! And there's also unforgivable parts (like for example: a simple current that leads to your death, a said "normal" path that breaks and falls while you're in the middle of it, having the need to jump from a very tiny, little FOF to an icy platform, etc...) that are annoying too.
To put it short, while it's good and all, it's the most unforgivable act I ever played (Darn, ERZ2 is nothing in comparison to this...!).
6,5/10.
You DO realize that this beta only supports Sonic? The level will be made harder for Tails and Knuckles, AFAIK (besides, every level is a cakewalk as Tails, even ERZ2).

Not really. This one is more cakewalking as Tails than ERZ2, really.
Of course. ERZ2 really does everything to make it hard for Tails and Knux well. It's still easier for them because you can skip a lot of traps easily. According to 123 Runite's to-do-list, he will fix it eventually.

Argh!!!
While I agree it's long and somewhat fun, there is no balance, no matter how much you look at it, between thok-based characters and other ability-based characters (A.K.A for Tails and Knux it's a "Cake Walk" but for Sonic it's like the Road to... well you know what I mean...)!
It's so obvious you haven't read the first post.

And there's also unforgivable parts (like for example: a simple current that leads to your death
Are you talking about the part with the icy floating, bobbing platforms on the used-to-be-cold water with current (area 3)? If you've played through Build 7, I've said that I would already do something about the water. The water used to hurt. You are to avoid it. There are many platforms floating on the water, one after the other. What does that tell you?
If it wasn't the part with the floating platforms, but higher up the cavern upstream, alright I'll put something in the moving water that can help the player get out of it.

a said "normal" path that breaks and falls while you're in the middle of it
Maybe you didn't see it coming, but that isn't an "unforgivable" trap. There IS a way out of it. Ahh, the surprises the level has :).

having the need to jump from a very tiny, little FOF to an icy platform, etc...) that are annoying too.
Brush up on your platforming skills and then try again. And, I think you are exaggerating.

6,5/10.
It's hard, but oh well, I'm sorry that you can't get through it in the way the level was made to be intended.

Last edited:
1.No, not that area with the warning signs. I say the part where you must go underwater to proceed through the act. In there there is a current with vines above: you go in the current and it leads to a death pit.

3.Well I made it for the first time but I fell due to thok.

4.Well sorry if I'm being rude, mister. My sincerest apologies. I shall give you a 7,5/10 then.

@1: Something shouldn't have been unexpected; the brightness of that current sector was in fact darker than the "normal water" with no current. And also, in an older beta, that current did lead you to a death pit, but now it shouldn't...

@3: I don't really care about the ratings at this moment since there is still a lot to fix; I'd rather hear from anyone on the MB any issues they have with the level, any feedback they wish to give, whatever notes to make the level better than how it is now, etc.

Last edited:
This level was a refreshing challenge for an avid sonic user such as I. Just one thing:

THE PUZZLE IS ****ING ANNOYING.

"Oh, what puzzle?" Many people would ask. And I'm sure EVERYONE might ask. I've not seen a screenshot, or complaint yet. Understandable, as it's moderately well-hidden. However, shame on the Knuckles users for not finding it before me.

It's a pretty simple puzzle, one I've not yet completed. I initially found it with Sonic, then used Knuckles to figure it out. In this, I found two buttons; and I fear a third one remains hidden somewhere, opened by the 2nd one. Yes, the first button opens a small cavern, and the 2nd button... I have no idea. You die too often to find out, as the level doesn't SAVE IT'S SWITCHES, meaning if you die after this much of the puzzle, you have to do it again and again for the PRIVILEGE of getting a step further. And with Sonic, you're likely going to fall into pits a lot. Or moreover...

srb20021n.png
srb20021n.png
srb20021n.png

Break this damn gravboot box, mess up, and have to DIE TO TRY AGAIN.

And even that isn't the whole thing. It really did stump me for awhile on how to get up there with Sonic. Then after falling off accidentally, I found the answer.

srb20018.png
srb20018.png

You see, there is a ring box here, and on the other side that each serve the same purpose:

Climb the springs to here...

srb20019.png

And jump off backwards, hit the ringbox for boost, and thok up into here:

srb20017.png

Then Thok from gap to gap until you reach the gravboots. Then, ride the crusher down to the opening...

srb20022.png

Run down the 'broken' hall...

srb20023f.png

And reach the first button, here:
srb20024z.png

And all that isn't a full puzzle. THIS button opens a gap in the last-ice-put-room down below, to which you need risk your life to jump into it. To press another button. This other button, I honestly have no clue what the hell it does.

I GIVE UP D<

I hate this level with a passion, now.

I thought that the level was a surprisingly good Knuckles level considering it was built for Sonic.

Also, I'm going to put a gravflip bind in my autoexec now.

I played this level as Sonic, and absolutely loved it. I accidentally played the first link in your post, which seemed to be outdated. Doesn't matter though, I liked everything in it. My only problem was the lag in the beginning (I was playing midend), and you fixed my other complaint already in a new version.
It's really not that hard as Sonic, but it was still hard. I found the challenge extremely enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back