• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Green Hill Zone Restored: 3D!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boinciel

ヒトデのパンと不思議なジャム
Sonic Team Junior
Kart Krew™️
Judge
As part of my first WAD, I decided to try to remake Green Hill Zone in glorious 3D.

OA9kWab.png

srb20006ec9.png

hn5vEu5.png

srb20007nj2.png

Last release. See my last post for details.

Last edited:
  1. There is no thok barrier.
  2. It seems to me you just created sectors outside where they're supposed to be, and moved them in. WadAuthor is not smart enough to change linedef info in such cases, so the linedefs will still attempt to "display" the sector they were created in.
I would start over and create the sectors where they're going to be.
I would also get DooM Builder, since it can change linedef info properly if a sector is moved into another.
I would aldo SRB2 Builder, since it has many options made specifically for SRB2.

If you haven't read any SRB2 level editing tutorials yet, check the 'editing' section of SRB2.org.

Those are my suggestions. Feel free to take or disregard them.

Re: Green Hill Zone Restored: Help?

I use Doom Builder. All advice given relates to Doom Builder.

Boinciel said:
1. I can't for the life of me find the Things menu, and I have only placed the 1P start point as of yet.

Place item. Right click on it.

Boinciel said:
2. The main problem is that I have these patches of water visible through the green grassyness.

Don't you mean grass shows through the water? Other than that, I can't help.

Boinciel said:
3. The sky texture isn't available in Doom Builder, for some reason, so I used plain blue...

It is not in doom builder. If I remember correctly *checks*, the texture is F_SKY1. And it's probably not in there because of how the player sees it. Ya know, backdrop for what isn't there. If it was normal, it
would probably stick to the ceiling like it does the walls: SKY1.

Boinciel said:
4. Why does building the level have to be so slow?

Patience, my friend, patience.

I am already Re-making Green hill zone (Use the search button to find it) Unless its a diffrent GHZ, like the one from Sonic adventure...

Mine will follow the original as close as possible. Also, I restarted the map and it's going very well, with no glitches so far. I figure that if I make the walls far enough away, I won't need a Thok Barrier.

EDIT: How do I make a bridge that kind of floats in the air? I need it for the next part of the level.

Sorry, buddy, regardless of Walls or not, you still need a thok Barrier. Some players like to use the God Cheat to stay alive even in Death Pits.

Draykon said:
Actually Flame, I think he's going for a 3D Green Hill here, much better than a 2D Green Hill.

Yes, it will be completely three-dimensional. I'm close to releasing another demo of it, this time with a Thok Barrier!

Sorry for the double post, but demo release!

Yay! Clicky!

srb20002gt1.png
kc4R0lD.png

usLIAUH.png

TRyS8QI.png

NQmmfZ1.png

O4HEvOc.png

WQ3gny1.png

The start. The JettySyn attacks only in Normal mode and above.

The only problem I have is that I can't figure out how to make the bridge "float", so I just have texture all down the side. It's not noticeable when you're focused on completing the level, but if you're scrutinizing the level then you will see it.

EDIT: Updated link just so people will post.

Last edited:
If I don't get some feedback soon, I might discontinue the project.

But, here's another demo.
Quite a few innovations to get it closer to the real GHZ, and still only 104 KB!.

THINGS I NEED HELP WITH:
1. I need help to get those bridges hollow underneath!
2. I need help to change the level name!
3. I need help to get some feedback!
4. I need help to change the music to the real GHZ music!
5. I need help to change the map type to -Tag, -Match, -Team Match, and -Co-op.

THINGS TO DO THAT I KNOW HOW:
1. Add a few more Deathmatch spawn points.
2. Add special rings for Deathmatches.
3. Add special monitors for Deathmatches.
4. Finish (I'm very close!)
5. Add a death effect to the water.

I'll post up screenshots of the level so far if you don't feel like downloading without them, but you probably know how GHZ 1 goes already. If you don't know how it goes, you're not a true Sonic fan.

F86DPkf.png

2jlLLNe.png

lA71B4L.png

eowbCGo.png

4NauA2i.png

Last edited:
All I'm having problems with in the level design is what to do with the S-tube space. I can't make one, so what can I do?

Flame has it set up on his as a small tunnel which you spindash through, and then you drop down to a dash pad.

I know this because I happen to like his mod.

However, I don't want to steal his idea... I'd need help implementing it anyways.

Uh, yea your "leap of faith" isn't really that hard. It's easily passed up with the thok, fly, or glide.

It's meant to be an easy level, isn't it? Act 1 of the first game, how can it not be easy?

I've added deathmatch parts to the level. Not rehosting yet because I want to get the "Zoom Tubes" or an alternative first.

If I can figure out how to put them all in one WAD file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back