Favorite Mario Kart Track?

SeventhSentinel

In charge of way less than you might think
Administrator
Sonic Team Junior
Kart Krew™️
I'm not absolutely certain if this should be posted here, but I want to make a Circuit level based on a Mario Kart race, so I want opinions on which one I should do. Mostly I'm doing this because I'm addicted to Mario Kart 64, and mostly because I like designing levels for SRB2. So think of your favorite track, and your second or third favorites as well, from any Mario Kart game (probably not Super Mario Kart though because those would all end up being thokfests due to all the maps being flat). I'll go first: I'd love to do Kalimari Desert from Mario Kart 64, but I don't think the train would make it into the level since, well, it moves. Sectors don't move. My second and third ones are DK's Jungle Parkway (N64) and Rainbow Road (N64). Rainbow Road might be possible, but it would require a new enemy object that would look like a Chain Chomp.
Okay, your turn!

This topic would have made more sense in SRB2 discussion or something.

Anyway, I doubt that's a good idea. Remember the porting rule from Level Design 101: make sure the ported level translates well into SRB2. And I think it would turn out terrible because the gameplay of Mario Kart are so different from SRB2. The tracks themselves always had to be pretty empty, because gameplay in Mario Kart is even faster than in SRB2. Also, the scenery really defines the track in Mario Kart, and SRB2's capabilities are too limited to really nail the scenery on any Mario Kart track except those of Super Mario Kart, which would be lame for the reason you already stated.

More than that, though, the gimmicks in Mario Kart tracks that provided challenges to keep everything interesting would be almost impossible to include in an SRB2 level. I could sort of envision a SOC'd Chain Chomp, but I don't think it would ever be as good as the real thing, and enemies in a Circuit level are a bad idea anyway. I actually think that the Kalimari Desert train would be possible with some really complex PolyObject work, but it would be extremely glitchy. You might as well forget Rainbow Road from any game but Super Mario Kart, because those tracks sloped and twisted in ways that SRB2 couldn't handle (even if you used fake staircase slopes, it would look quite ugly).

The problem is that the best levels in Mario Kart are as good as they are because they take full advantage of Mario Kart gameplay and physics. SRB2 is a totally different game, and there would be a lot of elements in Mario Kart tracks that would not be fun, severely limited, or just impossible. SRB2Riders had an unlockable Mario Kart mode, and it never worked that well, despite the fact that CZ64 custom-programmed the hell out of that mod. If you ask me, Mario Kart should be Mario Kart, and SRB2 should be SRB2, and it's best if we keep it that way.

Didn't SRB2 Riders have Crawla Cape, which was basically Koopa Cape?

...Man, I wish SRB2 Riders 2.0 would just get released already.

Didn't SRB2 Riders have Crawla Cape, which was basically Koopa Cape?

Well, only in a very loose sense. Crawla Cape had to sacrifice an enormous amount of features from the original. Also, it was an addon, not an official level, but I guess that's not too important.

Pretty much the entirety of Double Dash. That shit was on point.
In track design, yeah. I dislike where it went with the the mechanics such as the lack of jump drifting, shell shield, and how easy it is to lose items.

I hate Mario Kart Wii for that reason -- it feels really cheap when you get an item (say, a star) and then fall into water or something before you can use it, and then lose the item. Grr! Not true in Mario Kart 64 though, which might be one of the reasons why I love it to death.

mariocircuit-2.png

I think I may be a few generations behind, but oh well. Super Mario Kart forever!

Bigboi said:
Pretty much the entirety of Double Dash. That shit was on point.

I totally agree -- after Double Dash, things really started going downhill. It was the most accessible game in the franchise before "Nintendo-accessible" was a thing. I still pull out MK:DD once and a while to this day.

Oh, and also...

One of my favorites would be Koopa Cape from Mario Kart Wii. I love the underwater pipe part.

Agreed. That track was the shiz. I kept wondering why they decided to randomly put Goombas on the track, though.

Heheheh, yeah. Especially when you're doing multiplayer and your cousin replaces the CPU. Good times, good times... XD

Last edited by a moderator:
I still like Mario Kart DS, because it had Mission Mode and also introduced the Retro Cup (unless you count Mario Kart Super Circuit's addition of the SMK tracks). However, I also think that the Retro Cup feature could have been a lot better, in both MKDS and MKWii (though MKWii wasn't quite as bad). The trouble is that they consistently chose the worst, most boring tracks from past games to use in Retro Cup. Worse still, the MKDS version further watered down the Retro tracks by cutting out some shortcuts and stuff, particularly on Mushroom Bridge.

In MKWii, I think the only reason they didn't screw up quite as bad with the Retro Cup was that they had already used the worst stages in the previous version, and now had to take the second worst instead. Evidence of this occurs in the fact that of all the games brought back in the Retro Cup in MKWii, the one that they consistently chose the worst tracks from was MKDS...because MKDS wasn't featured in the previous Retro Cup, and they had more options for badness. I mean, Yoshi Falls? What the hell were they thinking? That was clearly the suckiest track in MKDS. At the same time, they left out Waluigi Pinball, Airship Fortress, and Bowser Castle, which in my opinion were the best tracks in MKDS. The only decent track from MKDS that they included was Delfino Square.

My favorite would have to be Bowser's Castle, MK:DD. Lots of stuff trying to hit you and mess up your lap.

I don't get why so many people hate it so much.

Its simple enough for a starter. But it also had some shortcuts that advanced users could take.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back