How did you find out about SRB2?

Spektra

You don't have enough memory in your memory card !
I was browsing the Sonic Retro Fan Games page, and I saw "Sonic Robo Blast 2", and I thought: "Why not...?". So I downloaded it on the day 2.2 came out. And I LOVE it so far.

(The real first time I heard that I played SRB2, was apparently back in 2009, 'cause I found a disc with a folder on it labeled "Sonic Robo Blast II", that hadn't been modified since 2009! I'm glad I found it!) (It was version 2.0.1 specifically, but that doesn't matter...)

Last edited:
2011 or 2012 I think, found this gem, liked the style of the game and decided to check it out, and that's how I found out about it, started with 2.0.6.

I too found out about SRB2 from the fangames section on the Sonic Retro wiki. This was back in 2009 with 2.0.4, though I definitely played 2.0.6 as well. The game didn't click with me for the longest time, probably because I was using tank controls and arrow keys! I could never get past Deep Sea.

It wasn't until late 2018/early 2019 when I properly got into the game. I'm pretty sure it was this video that got me to check the game out again. I was vaguely aware of mods for SRB2 but never realised there was a whole community dedicated to modding the game. It got even better once I figured out that WASD+mouse is a much better way of controlling the game!

I have absolutely no idea whatsoever how I found out about SRB2. It's quite likely that I literally just googled "Sonic fangames" to see what existed.

Final Demo 1.09.4 had been recently-ish released, which means this was late 2006 or so.

I think I recall seeing a video or reading about it a very long time ago. Perhaps it was the demo days I was seeing, I thought it was a low quality game with a sonic skin so I avoided it.

A few years back, it came to the back of my mind again so I searched for a video, it was version 2.1 and the quality looked quite a ways above what I remembered, so I tried it out and liked what I saw.

I largely abandoned the game again after going through all of the content, then I noticed 2.2's release was imminent and the bump in quality was quite noticeable. It first seemed to me like something was up when the forum's top graphic changed from the Vbulletin default to the SRB2 logo. Now the game has entered a new era of heightened forum activity and development, and it only helps with the new bits of polish like shadows and a dedicated menu for activating custom mods and levels.

Kind of a funny story since I remembered we use to go to the local library where I lived a whole bunch and they had different disks that were collectives of software bundled into them which some of these also included various different games.

I remembered that it was also during my time when I was an obsessive Sonic fan and my mum pointed out a disk that had Sonic on it, one case being for the SADX demo and another being SRB2. I'm not sure if this is a process of being ripped off since they had collective software on the disks that I didn't really bother to see the rest of but it was how I was exposed to one of the 1.08 versions, at least one that still had Zim in the game.

SRB2 was probably also my introduction to how the Sonic fan base was very active online as going to different fan game sites I was surprised to see it listed on there. I was around 8-9 so a lot of my behaviours were pretty typical of someone around that age.

Oh yeah and two of the disks had Super Mario Pac and Mario Worlds on it also which were kinda okay.

I found SRB2 in 2013 or 2014, but I cannot say how. It's been too long.
My best guess is that I saw it through some sort of YouTube recommended.

Found it in 2005 somehow. I don't even remember how I did. Perhaps somebody on AIM sent it to me, or from another website I went on.

I found it around 2014 or so... I think I discovered it when watching a video of projared about this game and then I was interested in it, after that I downloaded it (2.1.14 or so) and the rest is history

I started to know SRB2 when I found ThatSrb2Dude channel as he made those videos of Tails Doll Forest, The Mansion etc. As then I played SRB2 on my own when it was on 2.0

I can't remember how I stumbled upon this game. The earliest memories I have of it were from the v2.0 days where I saw a bunch of SRB2 mod showcases on YouTube.

I played a bit, screwed around online, and moved on.

Fast forward to late 2017/early 2018, v2.1.20 was the current version, and while I can't remember how or why I decided to come on back, the then-current mods at the time convinced me to stay in the community.

I think I found out about this game from ThatSRB2Dude & a YTP that I can't find anymore, but I can recall it using SRB2 in the olden times, I was a little kid then.

I first heard about this game in 2018 through a few rips on SiIvaGunner, but didn't think much about it. But then when version 2.2 came out I saw quite a few people on social media talk about the game and how great this new version is, so I went ahead and downloaded it (accidentally downloaded 2.1.25 at first, but then downloaded the new version after a few days) and I've been playing it pretty much constantly since.

Spanish speaker here.
I don't quite remember when, but there was this youtuber called "Sergindsegasonic" that had a srb2 series with a friend and a name that had quite the old youtube sexual humour but sadly those videos have been deleted for reasons that im not really sure of but that's not the point.

Really loved the look of the game and it's characters (some of them were addons) and each video had their own story with the characters talking with each other and it was really funny at that time but sadly I didn't know the name of the game and probably was in the description but being the kid I was, I would never check that.

After that I never knew more of the game, then I saw those videos with the Tails Doll Forest (had me scared because I was a bapy) and I think that was the moment I actually got to play Srb2 with horrible amounts of lag because the my computer at the time was poopy.

Some time later I forgot about it and then Kart made me come back.

I really can't remember how I got into SRB2 but it must've been like 2008 or 2009. I had quite a lot of fun playing co-op with lotsa peeps and even on Mystic Realm or whatever it was called.

Dunno how I found back to it recently but I prolly decided to check it out and voila there was v2.2. I love it!

I dunno I think it was a video of Mystic Realm I saw while procrastinating on Youtube way back in middle school?

I don't remember the first time I came across SRB2 very well- I think it was around 2.0 or early 2.1? All I remember is that I couldn't get past GFZ1 and spent a substantial amount of time trying to use solid walls to manipulate the camera into letting me see Sonic's face. I then forgot about the game until some time later, in between 2.1.14 and 2.1.15. When I rediscovered SRB2 the game felt very familiar, and I realised that it was the same game i played years ago. From then I stuck around until today, and joined the Discord server in November 2018.

Well, it was in the year 2004, I was 4 years old and my brother was like... 9? He went to the internet cafe a lot and for some Gunz Duelz players, he found out about SRB2 and taught me the game, computer broke and my dad bought another one in 2006 and started to play again till it broke in 2007 HAHAHA. But we played most of the time at a cafe in 2009. We bought another one in 2010 and I built my own pc on 2014 and got lots of my friends into SRB2 and made servers replicating future versions, like 2.1 and 2.2 for example. I got a little bit off the point, but I'm only talking about SRB2 part of the story, I of course played other games.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back