What ? Is Egg Rock Zone too hard for you ? Well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely agree with everything in this post. I have never been able to beat ERZ ever. After about 50 lives wasted, three ragequits, and that message saying 'Is Egg Rock Zone too hard for you?' when I quit the game, I didn't even try anymore.

The difficulty in these levels is absolutely insane. AZURE TEMPLE is easier than this. And you can't justify that 'oh, the difficulty is perfect, the game is just missing two zones'!

That doesn't give you a get out of jail-free card to make this hellhole of a level even look acceptable.

This same argument can also be applied to the new bosses and levels, which require you to go through so much shit to get through the level.

Take a look at Sonic 3. The final zone was not hard as hell, it was fun to play with some difficulty. Sonic 1's scrap brain was lackluster, but still not as hard as this. Sonic 2? I loved Sky Chase and Death Egg.

This sudden difficulty spike in the THIRD ACT OF THE GAME is very unjustified and it's one of the only times where I've felt like putting a game down.
This is not any Sonic 1, 2 or 3! This has greater challenges. Also, I lost almost 70 lives in ERZ four years ago. But when I finally finished, I was thankful for all those obstacles.

I've made this suggestion before, but I truly think there should be an "infinite lives" mode or something, and you get the option to switch to it if you get a Game Over without continues. In infinite lives mode, you also save after every act. The punishment for using it is that you don't get the "Game Complete" emblem.

The difficulty in these levels is absolutely insane. AZURE TEMPLE is easier than this.

Pfft. Azure Temple has Trapgoyles, pits everywhere, Bubble Buzzes, and a constant danger of drowning.
ERZ has lasers, reverse gravity, and Snailers. I can get through all of ERZ on one life using sonic, but I die all the time in ATZ. IMO, ERZ doesn't even come close to the difficulty in ATZ.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11399002/SRB2/scr_erz2.wad

Here, a version of ERZ2 that's hopefully more fun. While I was at it, I also fixed the music being a bit too loud compared to other tracks in the game. Depending on the feedback this gets, this might make it into 2.1.7.

Glad to see you have great humor ^_^

I am still hoping for serious responses though. I guess it will be more difficult today...

And in case you wanna know : Metal Sonic fits well with your tune.

Here, a version of ERZ2 that's hopefully more fun. While I was at it, I also fixed the music being a bit too loud compared to other tracks in the game. Depending on the feedback this gets, this might make it into 2.1.7.

Neat, tallpatches.

...Wait, no...

Spherallic's hysterical joke aside, you guys need to cut the hyperbole and realize that there are going to be differences of opinion, especially on the question of difficulty. I do agree that ERZ is currently too hard, and I forgot to remove that Snailer in ERZ2's Mega Man room before release, but the statements that we're that out of touch (from BOTH sides) are also pretty absurdly overblown as well.

If you want the game improved, I want to hear SPECIFIC issues you had, not "WAAH IT'S IMPOSSIBLE DELETE IT" and other similarly stupid shit. There is clearly room for improvement and places we could turn the dial back to be more reasonable, but the feedback in this thread is pretty much useless.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11399002/SRB2/scr_erz2.wad

This is so much better than the original. I mean, not only can I beat ERZ2 in six seconds now, but all the pesky gimmicks are gone (except for the upside down platforming at the beginning of the level, that needs to be removed still).

Spherallic's hysterical joke aside, you guys need to cut the hyperbole and realize that there are going to be differences of opinion, especially on the question of difficulty. I do agree that ERZ is currently too hard, and I forgot to remove that Snailer in ERZ2's Mega Man room before release, but the statements that we're that out of touch (from BOTH sides) are also pretty absurdly overblown as well.

If you want the game improved, I want to hear SPECIFIC issues you had, not "WAAH IT'S IMPOSSIBLE DELETE IT" and other similarly stupid shit. There is clearly room for improvement and places we could turn the dial back to be more reasonable, but the feedback in this thread is pretty much useless.

Okay, how about this?

ERZ1 -
1. Too many bottomless pits
2. That laser hallway with impossible to avoid lasers
3. The big hallway with the grey platforms and electric walls

ERZ2-
1. Yoku blocks
2. Snail badnik spamming
3. Tricky gravity puzzles
(other stuff I don't remember)

ERZ3
1. Metal Sonic is too fast for Tails or Knuckles, they're too slow!
2. Timer should start when Metal Sonic is IN the arena, not just outside of it.
3. Make it more obvious that you CAN pass that one room without having Metal break those spikes
4. Bottomless pits!
5. Make it clearer on how to hit metal
6. Make Metal's attacks easier to avoid
7. Make Metal's attacks more predictable so you can see it coming.

ERZ4
1. Give a bit more reaction time for the bomb shots
2. Decrease the knockback on some of those attacks! Geez!
3. When the barriers go down, have Eggman JUST shoot the flame capsules. It's too easy to get knocked off the platform at this point."
4. Make flame pools smaller
5. Give the player more space to lure Eggman into the lava

(Oh, and some advice for DSZ3 because I also absolutely hate that level)

DSZ3
1. Give the player some time to actually hit Eggman
2. Make only ONE of the clones shoot missles. Nine at once is so overwhelming.
3. Give the player time to get out of the water like in 2.0.

but the feedback in this thread is pretty much useless.

I still support the idea I've repeated over and over again. I honestly think that it's a good idea:

I've made this suggestion before, but I truly think there should be an "infinite lives" mode or something, and you get the option to switch to it if you get a Game Over without continues. In infinite lives mode, you also save after every act. The punishment for using it is that you don't get the "Game Complete" emblem.

I must be the only one who thinks Egg Rock Zone is honestly pretty easy.

You are not the only one. Egg Rock Zone was ridiculously easy to me this time around. You can also stack up on plenty of lives throughout the two acts. It may be the gauntlet design or the paths I normally choose. Have to replay the stage a couple of times to see what's the deal.

Last edited:
The only complaint I have with ERZ is in act 1: At the start of the left path, you're instantly greeted by probably the toughest challenge in the entire act, and punishment is death. Right away. Maybe change it so instead of having the crushing platforms over a bottomless pit, put them over a spike pit or some sort of harmful floor instead. That way you're not brutally murdered within the first ten seconds. Of course, if you fail to react to the platform and its ceiling slowly squishing you, then you're dead. That's just your fault, plain and simple.

I really hope you were joking, Mystic. I already said : I am no game designer, but you yourself, by carefully playing through the levels should be able to see its many flaws. Especially the death pits in every corner.

You said my statement is overblown, but the burden of testing and proving it is on you. You really don't care about balance of skills and ability of completing the levels for even mildly skilled players ?

It is SO easy to dismiss feedback when we just can't change thing, or don't want to. Indeed My feedback is weak on specifics, you are right. It doesn't change the goal of things.

Having tutorial levels is nice. Having challenging levels is nice. Having damn hard Trial and Error, brutal level of death is nice... as an extra.
Don't make your game so tedious. Although I never developed games, you are not the first dev of one I spoke too, your reaction is pretty predictable, though disappointing.

You have every right to ignore the problem, since I, the average public, am not able of making a detailed list of change. You also have every right of not developing a good Sonic game altogether.

Sorry, if I seem harsh, but you're the autority here. Your lack of awereness is against yourself and the game.

PS : Unless you were actually listening to what I was saying not rejecting it. Well, if that's the case I apologize. But the ERZ is an alien. Rex the Kitsune's list may help you a bit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back