What could a Sonic Adventure 3 do to the sonic franchise?

just wondering what other people think of this. ive thought about this a whole bunch recently. honestly i think if a hypothetical SA3 does bad or is even just ok it could ruin the whole franchise forever. then again though people probably thought sonic could never recover from sonic 06.

(also sorry if i messed up in making this thread or something, this is my first time making a thread on a message board.)

That really depends on a number of factors, not the least of which being whether they follow the design and game mechanics of SA1 and SA2.

(You did fine making this thread! All's good here)

It depends entirely on how good the game is really, if a spiritual successor to the Sonic Adventure games were to be made and it did well then we would probably get a few more entries in that part of the franchise. If a hypothetical Sonic Adventure 3 did release and then did badly, then the franchise will carry on and we'll just get games that focus on another part of the series like the Classic series, or something else who knows! Sonic is if one thing, very resillient to dying out apparently.

Although I always got the impression that Sonic 06 was our attempt at a Sonic Adventure 3 even if it didn't have the name, it had the same gameplay and narrative style with several characters that feed into a 'final' story at the end much like the first two Adventure games did. Considering that, a modern attempt at an Adventure game probably wouldn't be called Adventure 3 but stranger things have happened.

Who knows, maybe we'll get a Sonic Adventure 3 announced for the 30th anniversary of the franchise and I'll look a clown.

Maybe I'm jaded, but I don't think Sega of today could pull it off.

The Sonic Adventure title is waaaay too big shoes to fill, and the Sonic games Sega have been putting out lately are woefully unambitious and missing the point of what people really like about Sonic. Considering that Sonic Adventure is perhaps one of the most ambitious Sonic games ever made and now we're getting phoned in entries like Forces, and don't get me wrong, Forces is at least polished as far as Sonic games go and there's a lot to love about it, but it's generally quite boring and doesn't do much to move the series forward on a design level quite like Sonic Adventure 1&2 and Unleashed did.

I don't feel like Sega making Sonic Adventure 3 now would be an unmitigated disaster or anything on the scale of Sonic '06. At worse it would just be unremarkable and not live up to the hype.

And not to be that guy but Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) was Sonic Adventure 3 in all but name anyway, plus Sonic Unleashed is literally called "Sonic World Adventure" in Japan.

A new model that won't divide the fandom?

If anything the Sonic Team of today would just divide the fanbase even more if they made SA3. They'll probably make SA Sonic a different character like they did with Classic Sonic.

I mean, they kind of already have. Generations, Mania, and Forces have all set the precedent for Modern and Classic to be treated as separate entities.

I mean, they kind of already have. Generations, Mania, and Forces have all set the precedent for Modern and Classic to be treated as separate entities.

Yeah, and it's also like a whole thing in their brand style guidelines now too. Modern and Classic are different marketing pillars and they must be kept separate outside of crossovers. It even goes as far as to which characters are restricted to which universes, so for instance Mighty and Ray are stuck in the Classic/Mania continuity.

That brand style guide stuff is also why they retconned Classic Sonic to be "Sonic from another dimension" rather than just younger Sonic.

I think I might have misread the original quote, but what they're saying is that "SA Sonic" might be retconned into its own universe separate from Modern or Classic.

I don't think that would be a given, but even if it was, that would honestly probably be healthy for SA3, considering Shadow could stay dead and Knuckles could go back to giving a fuck about the master emerald.

Like many others have said, it would really depend on a variety of factors. The SA series was a huge step-up in Sonic’s franchise that to not live up to that expectation would be catastrophic. IMO, the Sega of today honestly wouldn’t be able to do it, at least not rightfully so. Considering all we’ve gotten for modern sonic is a boost game after another, they can’t step away from those game mechanics without screwing something up in the process.

Slightly off topic however, I do think that they are capable of making a port or even remastered versions of SA or SA2 to today’s standards. Maybe doing that first can send them in the right direction for a plausible SA3.

My opinion on the question

My initial thoughts when I saw the title was-
whoo boy

now this topic has been thrown around a lot and I have heard that recently SEGA has been teasing about something related to Sonic adventure but you never know so I'm saying this before someone else starts freaking out about it because it might not happen with how SEGA is so with that out of the way I'm going to talk to my opinion on the idea.

what I think
now one thing that I've been seeing and that I agree with is that it would definitely be screwed up if it was made by SEGA in one way or another so let's talk how it would be like if the fans made Sonic adventure 3 and let me explain what I I'm saying.

What I'm saying is-y'all know on how srb2 got popular for being a really good 3D Sonic game, what I'm saying is that what if a bunch of fans came together like with the srb2 project and all wanted to make Sonic adventure 3.
Now when I say what if the fans made Sonic adventure 3 I'm not talking about the millions of crappy Gmod stuff that's cluttering the internet, no I'm talking about an entirely faithful group of fans who have somehow memorized the adventure formula and know exactly what their doing.
so with that humongous text box out of the way (sorry about that) let's talk what would need to be done too truly make Sonic adventure 3.

1-make at least two new well developed characters, the reason why I think SEGA can't make Sonic adventure 3 is because of this very first step, SEGA has recently shy'd away from making new characters (or at least good ones) but it is very much a requirement for making Sonic adventure 3 feel like a new installment and not a remaster but as everyone knows almost every Sonic fan is very much (and sometimes unfortunately) willing to make new Sonic characters so that's why I think only the fans of Sonic can make Sonic adventure 3.

2-a knew villian-this may be the second requirement but it is also the hardest one to complete because villian making is one of the Sonic adventure series strong suits so recreating that is close to impossible even for SEGA themselves which I might make a thread later on in the future that will be dedicated towards making an adventure worthy villian.

3-to make a pretty good environment, now you may be thinking that it seems pretty easy to do but it's actually quite hard because in Sonic adventure you basically explore all of the places in the classic Sonic universe and in Sonic adventure 2 you explore the entire Earth and even go to space which means that the equivalent to an entirely new planet will need to be made and fully thought through which is hard for even the best writer's.

4-an entirely new plot would need to be made, now when I say that I mean to the plot would need to be nowhere near related to the first two games plot and in fact needs to be at least around the same level of goodness as Sonic adventure 2's plot which is super difficult to do.

5-to get an entirely new band of music players- crush40 is basically retired so that means that the soundtrack will be really hard to make because crush40 has a track record of being unbeaten in the music industry and to make music at the same level as crush40 would be one an impressive feat and two would require months if not YEARS if devotion to the soundtrack and keep in mind that there still needs to be a game to play.

well I think that's about it for the requirements so to summarize this entire post- Sonic adventure 3 would take way to long to make.
Thanks for reading.

They're pretty much in the corner when it comes to the franchise already. I'm pretty sure there just isn't a way they won't upset a big part of the fanbase with whatever the next release is going to be. Still, if they nailed SA3, that would definitely be one of the sparks of hope in an otherwise dreary triple-A game scene.

And hey, at the very least they tried to salvage their reputation and cared for the IP enough to not drop it completely.

Same cannot be said about Konami & Castlevania or that long time Megaman fans had to wait for the Blue Bomber to return.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back