Mystic removal discussion - The good and the bad

I'll be blunt
I don't care about his preferences, that isn't the issue, nor should we dwell on it.
Just saying this so we don't get sidetracked any further. There are many, MANY other legitimately issues Mystic brought to the table in regards to the community and the game's development.

Also, the screencap that VelocitOni used was an out of context cap I've post in a joking manner and I'd rather it not being used like this, even if in context he's still being questionable, you're just asking for trouble for posting an out of context cap like that.

Mellowjacket is right about this thread at least taking a bad turn. I would suggest discussion on this sort of thing gets paused for a while to let everyone cool down and ensure the more positive dev. atmosphere gives the game a much needed boost.

In my opinion, things like quote mining would serve more to distract and divide than provide anything positive. I would think we would want this to be an opportunity to invite developers who have quit back to the community, this is critical if SRB2 is to see things like UDMF.

And perhaps I'm being naive, but I still wish people banned, for good reasons, the best of luck. Hoping maybe people can improve themselves over time and become better people as the years go on, even if it's nothing we get to see. But at this point, that's out of our hands.

Absolutely agree, forever hating someone will never fix anybody, trying to help or showing empathy to the individuals that did wrong might. I hope they'll reflect on what they did and take action in changing themselves.

Having been mocked by Mystic years ago for disparaging him about his loli "preference", it's pretty vindicating seeing him finally being "exposed" for his BS.

On a lighter note, maybe concepts like NetPlus can move forward in a more official capacity without outdated, nonsensical reasons for shutting it down from the tyrannical old guard. :x

I simply despise internet drama in general.

I'm saying it again, we need to remove problematic people and toxicity from this game's userbase.

I don't want the Sonic Robo Blast 2 community to appear as bad people on internet (especially since how marginalized the Sonic community as a whole got in the last 2 decades).

I want this game and its community to stay wholesome and good.

Mellowjacket is right about this thread at least taking a bad turn. I would suggest discussion on this sort of thing gets paused for a while to let everyone cool down and ensure the more positive dev. atmosphere gives the game a much needed boost.
I think the outpouring of responses has made it clear that this is a discussion that really needed to happen on the Message Board. If just to get it off of our collective chests instead of stewing about it in private. Setting the record straight gives us a chance to move forward with a clean palette which is pretty nice. (Considering how the bans and staff changes were formally announced 6 days ago, it means people have been sitting on all of these thoughts for the past week. It was bound to happen sooner or later)

I think this discussion will pause naturally when it's over. But I figure it's best to leave this open in case more needs to be added later, either way, I've said my piece on this now. Phew.

ISwKEMx.png

He explicitly doesn't care about any of you, there's no need to keep covering for him. This is part of what he had to say immidiately after cussing out the community, fucking someone up, and promptly flaking. I say he "got away with it" because he keeps getting sugarcoated and covered up, the only real repercussion he can get is finally showing behavior clearly and not constantly burying it.

It's good ugly topics can finally get off people's chests now that he's not here to abuse his power to close any and every single topic he doesn't personally like.

I think it would be simpler to just lock this thread, erase any of Mystic's work and mention here and call it a day. It would be better for everyone I think.

I think it would be simpler to just lock this thread, erase any of Mystic's work and mention here and call it a day. It would be better for everyone I think.

Give people the chance to finally have a deep discussion without being silenced for once, will you?

Absolutely not. The truth being put on display here is the best thing that's happened to the public in years.

Probably been said before, but mystic deserved to be kicked from the team. Accusing someone of pedophilia is an incredibly shitty thing to do (especially seeing how the dude has a thing for lolis), not to mention that he's a big part of the reason why the game was refusing to progress, he was too attached to old design decisions. I wish it could've happened in a less drama-fueled way, but shit happens /:

Probably been said before, but mystic deserved to be kicked from the team. Accusing someone of pedophilia is an incredibly shitty thing to do (especially seeing how the dude has a thing for lolis), not to mention that he's a big part of the reason why the game was refusing to progress, he was too attached to old design decisions. I wish it could've happened in a less drama-fueled way, but shit happens /:

Hopefully the game can now grow and progress better than before with being called out for shitty behavior.

I think the outpouring of responses has made it clear that this is a discussion that really needed to happen on the Message Board. If just to get it off of our collective chests instead of stewing about it in private. Setting the record straight gives us a chance to move forward with a clean palette which is pretty nice. (Considering how the bans and staff changes were formally announced 6 days ago, it means people have been sitting on all of these thoughts for the past week. It was bound to happen sooner or later)

I think this discussion will pause naturally when it's over. But I figure it's best to leave this open in case more needs to be added later, either way, I've said my piece on this now. Phew.

The concern I have is that talking about such contentious decisions (so soon after the fact) would cause more division than healing, but if it leads to the game's development rate and content quality hitting new heights, then I'm not opposed to letting the thread end naturally.

Seeing some of the stuff he said now, I am convinced that this was needed. I hope this means a lot of devs. who quit over the years will come back and really push the game and its ecosystem.

I just wish to know several things later on: Why did Mystic and Rob lost their minds and raged up, how they slowly stopped be careful with their administration and just blame us, although they know already what will happen of what they are doing in the future. They were both really good developers and kept the game more liver, and their features and plans were super effective that caught almost every sonic fan and made it extremely known game. But.. I still feel underestimated how they stopped to be careful on what they are doing even now.. if they were just holding up a little and not get mad on it (specifically at what Mystic's private agent server has went) then they wouldn't have been banned. They just didn't want to be patient and wanted to speed up, and they already know that even speeding up isn't going to clear their stressful minds. They were just impatient, and they want not to make this game into dust really, so they will be missing to be admins of SRB2 again...

I don't always check the official Discord server so that's where I went curios on it at the thread, I hope things will go better in the future and SRB2 gets more wider for everyone, and the developers there spray water on SRB2 roots to make it more grown.

If this is to be the current developers' outlet to the public about their grievances on Mystic, so be it. Of course this stance doesn't ride on me only, but as it keeps happening with many figures that are no longer in this community, uninformed people will always keep asking about "what happened with X". This thread is currently the most concise receipt on him - the nail on the coffin, if I can put it like this - and it's definitely staying up for future reference. We're letting it continue.

This and the similar notion that Mystic and Rob should be removed from the credits are both dangerous in my opinion. Attempting to shut down discussion of what happened to them would only move the conversation to private speculation, where staff and those in-the-know would not be in a position to clarify or correct dangerous misinformation.

Additionally, whether the community likes those figures or not, they still put hard work into the game. That hard work should never be used to justify their mistakes, but neither should the mistakes serve as an excuse to pretend they were never involved with the project. They deserve to be credited for their help, but we don't have to tolerate their mistakes or keep them around.

Pretending all of this never happened would help exactly nobody.

Wow, I haven't been closely in touch with the community but this has shattered the picture of Mystic being a role model I had years ago.
He had his part in moving this game forward. And I always thought he did an outstanding keeping the community mature by strict moderation as the game kept moving forwarding. And that he had a sense for quality control.
Seeing these quotes is kinda sad.

I noticed something had changed, new things like sugoi and encouragement of new fresh ideas in the community. I was confused at first but I like this new welcoming spirit.

I don't have the time to hang out at discord or irc, so maybe I'm missing something.

So please excuse me, this is merely my opinion based on the few things I know, so maybe I'm horifically misjudging.

This behaviour is definately not acceptable but please do not forget the legacy of these long standing community members.

Last edited:
I hardly remember my time with the community, with my only clear memory of the time before the end of 2.1 and the beginning of 2.2 being me going onto #srb2fun and trying to get the 1.1 beta, and I vaguely remember the chat being somewhat toxic in my attempts to get 1.1, though a lot of that could've been me asking for it. Even now, I felt some hint of distrust towards Mystic and felt he was rude, but I just couldn't put my finger on what it was.

Though hearing about Mystic's manipulation, I kinda have to wonder just how much the initial insistence that people playing 2.2 use keyboard and mouse from the devs was genuine and how much was sucking up to Mystic. Either way, I can't really comment on anything beyond what I've read in this topic.

This will make future playthroughs of Mystic Realm substantially more awkward, though.

XJUzbsq.png

Good to see the team regulating itself, hope development (and individuals) don't sustain too much hurt from all this. Actually, I guess I hope not having overbearing higher-ups allows dev to be more fast, loose and experimental. I dunno, one of those.

I kinda have to wonder just how much the initial insistence that people playing 2.2 use keyboard and mouse from the devs was genuine and how much was sucking up to Mystic.

Nah. Watching MegaGWolf (on Twitch) go from struggling like crazy with the controls to breezing through Azure Temple in his latest stream has me 100% convinced that encouraging keyboard + mouse controls is the way to go. Every player that sticks with it seems to have a better time in the end.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back