Converting sounds to Doom Format?

Status
Not open for further replies.

742mph

My work is never done yet
I read over the wiki article several times on how to convert sounds to Doom Format. (For the conversion process, I used Switch Sound File Converter instead of Sound Recorder because my computer can't properly use Sound Recorder.) I converted the sound to .wav, checked multiple times that the output format was "48000Hz, 8 bits, Mono", and imported the file into SLADE, but when I selected the "Convert Wav to Doom Format" option, nothing happened. I tried exporting and re-importing it, cutting and pasting it, and clicking and right-clicking the button, but still nothing happened, and the sound remained a WAV. When I test it out in game, its pitch is way lower than it's supposed to be. What did I do wrong?

Last edited:
It says here that Doom sounds are 8-bit PCMs at a sampling rate of either 11025 or 22050 Hz. I'd recommend using Audacity to convert the sounds to this raw format using the "Other Uncompressed Files" format. Then import those and see what happens.

Here. Have a gif to help:

cKVHNLF.gif

(the potato quality is because there are only 7 colors (for filesize reduction))

(the potato quality is because there are only 7 colors (for filesize reduction))

I sure hope that "potato quality" will become a technical term now.

For something actually relevant, I think that you just have to import a normal wav file that is 48.000kHz 8-bit and mono and convert it to doom wav using XWE or SLADE (I think SLADE supports it, but I don't know). Saving into that kind of wav file can be done in audacity as well. I am guessing Metal96's method skips a step, but I don't know.

Last edited:
I've tried converting sounds into Doom Format by using SLADE, but it seems to not want to do it. I usually have to go convert the sounds to Doom Format by doing it in XWE instead (which is normally a very stressful procedure because XWE likes freezing and not closing). This might be a problem with SLADE and not with how it's converted previously, as when I did convert my wav files to Doom Format using XWE they worked perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back