Stage transitions?

Frostiikin

recovering elseif abuser
Judge
I was thinking, What if in a future update, instead of just fading to black after a boss level, something happened in the arenas that opened up a pathway or something in order to have a similar thing to what happens in sonic 3 & mania? Red Volcano to Egg Rock already does this, and I really like that, maybe other stages could get something similar? Like gfz-thz could have a wave of goo flood the arena and carry sonic and the gang off to the level, or acz-rvz could show them jumping off the train and running into the volcano. Stuff like that could really make the world feel more alive imo. Just some thoughts I had.

I kinda want to say "that'd probably be too much" but then, I'd have said the same about unlockable characters a month ago, so... lol

S3&K's level transitions are great and sure, I'd support having something of the sort in SRB2 too. Actually, there were some videos of possible transitions between zones in the SRB2 homepage, but they don't seem to be there anymore? Or maybe I'm stupid and I can't find them...

I think it would be really cool, I would love to see what kinds of ideas they come up with to transition from one zone to the next.

I also liked to think about how stage transitions could be a thing in SRB2; maybe if there's an linedef trigger that...triggers an automatic cutscene that would be the "stage transition", and at the end of it, the player controlled by the cutscene should hit an exit sector offscreen, which would end the stage.

About having stage transitions AFTER having the signpost, just like in S3K/Mania, that's anyone's guess :p

There is an idea for this floating around dev. We haven't decided if the current idea will work yet, but it's definitely on the list of things to do. Sonic 3 & Knuckles did a wonderful job at storytelling through small scenery things and transitions, rather than significant cutscenes and text. It would be sad if we didn't find some way to do that for ourselves.

There is an idea for this floating around dev. We haven't decided if the current idea will work yet, but it's definitely on the list of things to do. Sonic 3 & Knuckles did a wonderful job at storytelling through small scenery things and transitions, rather than significant cutscenes and text. It would be sad if we didn't find some way to do that for ourselves.
Exactly. I mean, how did we go from a castle that has been abandoned since the end of the middle ages (of Sonic's world) until Eggman took over, to a desert?

It sits at the boundary of the desert and the ocean, duh. =P
It's also a shame SRB2 doesn't even acknowledge the Tornado...

Perhaps it would in a transition from Dark City to DoomShip (Or now known as Grand Eggship.(You did the right thing renaming the planned penultimate zone because no one wants to mistake Deep Sea for the likes of DoomShip/Grand Eggship.))

Last edited:
I'm glad the devs are actually considering this. Such an easy thing to just dismiss as unnecessary, but it lends charm

Forest Fortress seemed like it was trying to work that in a little bit as the early cez1. If you turn around there’s a cave behind the start that features deep sea rock textures. The egg boiler boss that theres a mod for (restores a cut erz3 boss) transitions into the black core boss with metal sonic (eggman escapes into a dark hallway, you chase him, end up at the gate with metal sonic challenging you to a race) one of the subtler levels telling a story things i really enjoy in gfz is how the skybox framing makes it seem like at the end of act 2 you’re about to approach the mountain that eggman carved his face into.

Storytelling within a level, post transitions ar the start, transitions at the end...when there is stage transition storytelling it feels pretty good so I do hope they work more in going forward (hopefully in organic ways without wrestling control away from you)

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back