• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Vivid Sniper (Work in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vivid Sniper

LagMaster Jim
Just started this a while back and I just wished to share this with you guys hoping for some good feed back and some negative so I can find out what I need to work on.
awesome.png

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/824/vividgif.gif/

Yeah I know but that's kinda of his art style Vivid defies perspective kinda of like Mickey Mouse's ears always staying round every time he turns.

95tx.gif
Running_GIF.gif

I decided to restart this whole wad from scratch due to the first version being unpleasant to the eyes. Hoping to see some constructive criticism on the pro's & con's of the frames so I can get a good idea on what to work on.

95tx.gif
Running_GIF.gif

I decided to restart this whole wad from scratch due to the first version being unpleasant to the eyes. Hoping to see some constructive criticism on the pro's & con's of the frames so I can get a good idea on what to work on.

Alright I want this to be a cool thing so I'm going to try to be as contrstructive as possible. Ahem.

This is going off of the first rotation sprite, there's too much shading going on in one area a bit too fast, however this is probably something minor that can be fixed. My main issue is that the back of his head seems to go farther out into the back, yet has the appearance of "dropping" in the front and back frames. It feels somewhat inconsistent. I also want to point out that, while I know you were going off of Sonic's shoes, they're horrendously "sharp" considering the shoes in literally every other frame are slightly smaller and also are more rounded at the ends. there's also some really rough shading in spots where there do not need to be, like the hands for example. Since it's thinner, there's more room for light to hit, and as such, it should not get nearly as dark. Moving onto the second sprite with the walking animation.

The movement seems pretty decent, I'll give it that, but the bottom soles of the shoes feel weird. I know it's mostly for a split second, but it doesn't look right. It doesn't seem like the lines on the soles should be so strange. The legs also remain the same thickness the whole time, so it almost looks as though his legs may be tweening up and down instead of him bending his knees. Use shading to your advantage if leg thickness cannot work in your favor.

Also I suggest using more muted colors if it's possible in srb2's palette. Right now the colors are a lot more vivid than those in your avatar.

There's also some really rough shading in spots where there do not need to be, like the hands for example. Since it's thinner, there's more room for light to hit, and as such, it should not get nearly as dark. Moving onto the second sprite with the walking animation.

Well I agree with everything you stated about the shading and anything beyond that. Although the thing is none of that rough shading matters since the color of sprites change once I convert them into SRB2.

Here's a example:

7f26d4ac0b5370c89882bde822360773.png
59e2cf43b5f78e380e4422ca7780e55a.png

In my opinion, I think the character looks good. Its eyes are very different and unique (which you don't really get from OC Sonic characters [which most of them are simple recolors]). At first look the sprites themselves look odd, but after seeing it ported to the SRB2 pallet, it looks pretty good.

There are some flaws in the sprites from my view though. I think that the arm bands look a bit too triangle-ish, if you know what I mean. The sides look a bit too straight. Also as stated before, the hair from the rotating sprites doesn't really match up the 'drop' of his hair. Here is an example of what I mean:

The bottom red line shows that the two sprites are lined up, but the top red line shows the huge difference between the positions of Vivid's hair.

Indeed all be fixing the perspective oddities with Vivid's frames. Also in my opinion the arm bands seem fine enough for the final release, but all attempt to give the arm bands abit of a revamp if I see any of the flaws that you mentioned. By the way Vivid Isn't a Sonic OC he is my own original character, I would agree that some features are identical to Sonic's like the eyes (which is probably where you based your assumption on) but I can assure you Vivid is not a fan character.

Well I agree with everything you stated about the shading and anything beyond that. Although the thing is none of that rough shading matters since the color of sprites change once I convert them into SRB2.

Here's a example:

7f26d4ac0b5370c89882bde822360773.png
59e2cf43b5f78e380e4422ca7780e55a.png

Hm. I feel like it would be best if you modeled your colors already off of srb2's palette. http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Palette It makes it easier to know what colors will and will not show up.

Hm. I feel like it would be best if you modeled your colors already off of srb2's palette. http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Palette It makes it easier to know what colors will and will not show up.

All the colors I've used to color Vivid's sprites so far, are off the SRB2's palette.
It's just that the yellow palette just always changes color to a different shades of yellow for some reason. Although the shades of yellow I get when I convert it to SRB2 seem way more accurate then the actual frames shades. All & all I have no problem with this change of shades at all, they seem to suit Vivid.

All the colors I've used to color Vivid's sprites so far, are off the SRB2's palette.
It's just that the yellow palette just always changes color to a different shades of yellow for some reason. Although the shades of yellow I get when I convert it to SRB2 seem way more accurate then the actual frames shades. All & all I have no problem with this change of shades at all, they seem to suit Vivid.

Huh. Weird.

Although regardding the sprites, I still think you should change the front one. The shoes look way too sharp considering they're like rounded and flattened in the other frames.

Yeah, in 2.0.6 yellow uses something like the first half of yellow then some parts of gold. I THINK we fixed this for 2.1.

Yeah, in 2.0.6 yellow uses something like the first half of yellow then some parts of gold. I THINK we fixed this for 2.1.

As if it was "broken" in the first place, lol. It's still a mix of yellow and gold palette colors last I remember. A yellow made of just yellow would make Super characters look yucky anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back