SRB2RP - A Forgotten JTE Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

D00D64

Probably Responsible
GTk2b.png

In between SPMoves and SRB2JTE, JTE made this. SRB2RP, as the name implies was a mod solely for Roleplay. In it, players would have been able to assign any animation in the game to their own amount of sprites (IE, a set of walking frames could just be 4 frames instead of the 6 or 8 or whatever it is by default), but that screwed up during netplay, discouraging JTE from continuing the project.

However, a few of his planned features DID make it in. This includes a voice-like system where people far away cannot "hear" you, unless you speak in an intercom, which works like SRB2 chat does not (as in, everyone hears you). None of the players can hurt eachother, nor use their abilities (Though I assume there would have been or probably even is a console command to override these), and the main server decides how fast everyone is. The only level that has intercoms is an enclosed wad called Mimirus' Home*.

But by far the most interesting thing about this mod was the Dark World, which was planned for SPMoves or JTE or something. Anyways, it's a bit difficult to explain... Basically, the dark world is parallel to the normal world, and there are thing in one world that can be seen in the other world, but cannot be interacted with. It could also be used to create a mirror of the player, that mimics their movements. To see the Dark World, you need to load the Dark World maps*.

Despite the minimal amount of features, it is still a chunk of SRB2 history that has been strangely missing for quite some time. Aside from JTE explaining it a bit on his Wiki page, there wasn't a whole lot of info on it. But if you want to experience this yourself, now you can! Since we have Standard servers and RPing is A OK in them, I figure there's no harm done in posting info on this (since people can't really beg for what they already have). So go ahead, take a look.

Download: http://www.sendspace.com/file/8vug21
NOTE: REQUITES SRB2 1.08. Get it here: http://www.srb2.org/historic-downloads/

I'd love it if someone could get some mirrors for SRB2RP as well. A Sendspace link wont last very long...

*There is no real default maps loaded. You will need to load Mimirus' Home, or one of the three Dark World maps if you want to actually see anything interesting. The home and the first two Dark World maps all go over the same map slot, so you'll need to load and run them individually. Dark World test 3 is in its own slot.

Oh, and try taking a screenshot.

Last edited:
Interesting. I wonder if this can help with the certain animations for certain characters thing that was planned for later 2.0...
I heard of the Dark World before, but I never got it. At least I now know it's pratically just LoZ Dark World stuff.

Nice to see a thread about it. Dark World actually works in SRB2JTE too, which is nice because SRB2JTE is actually in a state where it's playable. I've ported the Dark World test maps to it, so I'm probably gonna post them later when I'm sure they work properly. For now, have this:
Srb2jte_darkworldshadow.png

EDIT:

The first one to make a Dark World CTF map (should be pretty obvious how it works if you've seen the third test map) deserves a cookie.

Last edited:
Since we have Standard servers and RPing is A OK in them, I figure there's no harm done in posting info on this (since people can't really beg for what they already have). So go ahead, take a look.

NOTE: REQUITES SRB2 1.08.

Wait, isn't Srb2 1.08 unsupported by the MS? Wouldn't crash just by going to the MS screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back