• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Possible new character - Yattana

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceKGreen

Neon Knight
So, while making Lari a playable SRB2 character, I discovered something during the process of capturing the images from Blender.

Namely, during the touch-up of the sprites, I found that a colorramp effect I had applied to the armor ended up working a lot better than I thought it would (aside from some issues with what green was what). All I ended up having to do (aside from turning the green purple) was fix the eyes and sometimes the face.

So I started wondering. Could I apply this to other characters? After rummaging through my old creations until I found one with colors that fit the palette without losing distinction, and then experimenting with the color ramp, I came up with this.

YattanaBlenderShadingTest.png

The character is one I created in order to get myself out of a creative slump. Origin is a long story.

I'm still working on the proportions, but I am really liking how this is going. So I wanted to get some outside opinions on how it looks before I continue. (Startcolor in this case would be... 184. Her colors are normally all shades of blue, the purple is preemptive coloring for the sprites.)

-------------------------------------------

EDIT: Some sprites from the first test batch. Mostly unedited, all I've done is fix the irises and pupils. Fully aware that they look a bit crappy, but I can already tell that this should go a lot smoother than Myles did, and with some further work, these should end up looking good. (First one not using palette)

Standing.png
idle.gif
walk.gif

Also, a reference pic of the original character model I'm using with her actual colors. >Link<

Last edited:
You said that since you're already working on the proportions, I guess my comment about it being a little bit too small would be invalid.

I like the color and everything, but if this is to be a character for srb2, would she really stick her arms out like that?

'Tis just a test image, to help me get the proportions figured out before I start posing. Plus, I'm using sprites from the game (and Lari) to determine the camera distance (to control the size of the result). She's actually a bit taller than Knux in that pic here, I think.

(Gah, must edit first post, the purple parts are normally a dark blue, jeez I'm tired)

Looks good. You will make a custom ability? Like KO.T.E (not LIKE KO.T.E, because I hate this character)?
EDIT: This seems a recolor from tails sprites, for me.....

MisterX, it's completely irrational to think every character will have a custom ability. Though I agree that Knockout's one is horrible because it subtracts rings from you every time you thok, and it's made specifically for Match.

I think the sprites look good for now, but if they're not upscaled, I don't think they'll work too well. I realize you're working on this, SKG, but a higher-scaled test image would give the public a better idea of how she looks.

Alright, gonna add some sprites from the first test batch. I can already tell that they need some major work. But it's a step in the right direction. :D

I'm not sure about the ability, though. She's a fighter, but glide & climb just seemed wrong, so I'm thinking possibly homing attack at the cost of some speed.

Last edited:
Double post and screenshots ahoy!

All shots taken in SRB2Cineblast.

Character Select Screen
YattanaShot1.png

YattanaShot2.png

YattanaShot3.png

YattanaShot4.png

YattanaShot5.png

YattanaShotBots.png

As you can see, there's still a couple fixes to do, such as fixing the purple pixels, and there's something that still bothers me a little about the sprites, but I'm not about to go and redo them all until I find out what. But yeah. Pretty close to release.

I really like some of those sprites, but I'm noticing some inconsistencies in clothing and height. Or are those just placeholder sprites?

I really like some of those sprites, but I'm noticing some inconsistencies in clothing and height. Or are those just placeholder sprites?

I didn't notice any inconsistencies myself... I did change cam_rotate and cam_dist for a couple of those pics (the camera's really zooms out far when hanging from a rope in Analog mode).

Also, I specifically made sure that all the pics taken from Blender were from the same angle and height.

But just to make sure, could you point out exactly where you're noticing these inconsistencies?

What about the third screenshot? She's incredibly short. And she seems to be naked in her springing frames.

What about the third screenshot? She's incredibly short. And she seems to be naked in her springing frames.

Third screenshot? She's crouching to peer over the edge*. As for the springing frame? That's her hand in front of her torso. I can redo that sprite easily though, if it does look too much like what you think it is. Blue on blue doesn't make for good contrast at times...

*Probably should have shown that from a different angle, I guess.

EDIT: Strange... found a weird bug that only my characters seem to be showing. You know how you press C to reset/zoom in the camera and the character turns transparent once the camera is close enough? My characters change to the sprite's default purple color when they turn transparent, no matter what color they normally default to. No other character wad seems to have this effect. For example, Senku doesn't turn green when zoomed in and transparent...

Last edited:
After a bit of research, I've determined this.

Any character who uses something other than green for changing color will default to that color when the sprite turns transparent from zooming in. This is most noticeable with characters whose prefcolor is different than the color of the sprites. Example: Espio, who has a blue sprite and has purple as his prefcolor. His sprite turns blue when it turns transparent. Example 2: My characters, with purple as the sprite color and blue as the prefcolor. They turn purple when they turn transparent.

Think I should put this in the bug report forum?

More ontopic, haven't made much progress. Doing more playing with the character ingame than editing the character.

After a bit of research, I've determined this.

Any character who uses something other than green for changing color will default to that color when the sprite turns transparent from zooming in. This is most noticeable with characters whose prefcolor is different than the color of the sprites. Example: Espio, who has a blue sprite and has purple as his prefcolor. His sprite turns blue when it turns transparent. Example 2: My characters, with purple as the sprite color and blue as the prefcolor. They turn purple when they turn transparent.

Think I should put this in the bug report forum?

More ontopic, haven't made much progress. Doing more playing with the character ingame than editing the character.

Oh, definitely report that. That's very peculiar, especially considering that this bug didn't exist in 1.09.4.

I like how it looks so far. A beta anytime soon? The animation is very good. Now I might try making a character from a model...

Bump, related to thread. Sort of.

My laptop died.

I was just reading a random comic late at night, and the screen went blank. Restarted, and nothing happened. Some LEDs turn on, fan goes for a second, and then nothing. Screen is totally blank and I'm not hearing anything start up.

As it is, I'm pretty sure my hard drive and all its data is intact, but I'm going to have to wait a while to be sure. I'm currently making this post on a borrowed laptop at the local library (because soon after my laptop died, our Hughesnet satellite control... thingy died, leaving us without internet as well).

But yeah. It'll be a while before I can release this character.

Once I obtain an external hard drive enclosure, allowing me to use the laptop's hard drive as a USB hard drive, I shall release the character as is.

On a happier note, we received a replacement Hughesnet Remote Terminal thingy today, and after a long manual registration process aided by tech support, our Internet has been restored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back