• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

New Sonic 3 Robo Blast project!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJR

My name is Sonic Jr
Hello everyone, I present my new project: Sonic 3 Robo Blast project. In this project I'm making the levels from Sonic The Hedgehog 3, but later I'll do the other portion of the project (Sonic & Knuckles). By far I'm in the making of Angel Island Zone. It contains Sprites and textures from the original game and its cutscenes. I decided to use a remixed version of the Soundtrack by me. Later I will try to find out if the Bonus Stages can be done.

Special thanks goes for Zuko for helping me making some things, such as change the Sprites and add custom textures.

Screenshots:

scqLvP.png

4Qrrca.png

AEK76z.png

Backgrounds:

O5VfmV.png

uX9GW3.png

I want you all to know that I'm already aware from the looks of the textures but I do want something more of a constructive criticism

Last edited:
Before Nev3r copyright police arrive, I have to say those visuals need a major reworking. You just ripped textures directly and slapped them everywhere without any coherent thought. The visual implementation looks really really bad and I wonder why GFZROCK is even there.

From the looks of the level design, it's as linear as GFZ2

Before Nev3r copyright police arrive, I have to say those visuals need a major reworking. You just ripped textures directly and slapped them everywhere without any coherent thought. The visual implementation looks really really bad and I wonder why GFZROCK is even there.

From the looks of the level design, it's as linear as GFZ2

The level isn't finished yet. I'm working on the textures, though.

The textures look REEEEEALY glitched out, but I can honestly see a pretty good concept here. Maybe if the textures were a bit better and the level itself didn't look like a dull hallway with a jungle paint job then maybe I might give it a chance.

The textures look REEEEEALY glitched out, but I can honestly see a pretty good concept here. Maybe if the textures were a bit better and the level itself didn't look like a dull hallway with a jungle paint job then maybe I might give it a chance.

The level isn't finished yet, but thanks for the support

---------- Post added at 01:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 AM ----------

It's really dark for AIZ :u

The level ISN'T finished yet. I'm working on it

Last edited:
well a little bigger and better textures and the level would be good, but there are way to many that tried and failed at this project, you'd have to have the skill and time that the guys who made the void map pack did, but I've always wanted a 3D replica of lava reef and the death egg.

If I were you... I would quit working on this all together, and start on something more smaller.

well a little bigger and better textures and the level would be good, but there are way to many that tried and failed at this project, you'd have to have the skill and time that the guys who made the void map pack did, but I've always wanted a 3D replica of lava reef and the death egg.

I know right, I see. I will improve the textures and to be honest I'm learning a lot. Anyway, thanks for your support

---------- Post added at 02:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 AM ----------

If I were you... I would quit working on this all together, and start on something more smaller.

Regardless, I will continuing working on it, but thanks for the suggestion, though.

Last edited:
If you want to get anywhere with the "hype" for this project, i highly suggest you make your BEST efforts in Angel Island Zone

Just because it's "not done yet" doesn't make it immune to criticism. This looks extremely ugly and quite linear, yet you're claiming to plan a full mod of this? Don't waste your time and make a single, quality stage and submit that instead, possibly to the OLDC, and get actual feedback.

This idea has promise. N3ver confirmed that a level pack with this kind of theme would be amazing. However, you're showcasing what would happen if you did this wrong. You're trying to recreate a 2d level in a 3d environment? Sounds cool right? Except you're doing straight 2d level that has 3D enabled. Might as well just set this to 2D mode because I guarantee you that nobody wants to play in hallways. Try looking up the wiki or play Srb2 some more to get a good vibe as to what a 3D level is like.

This idea has promise. N3ver confirmed that a level pack with this kind of theme would be amazing. However, you're showcasing what would happen if you did this wrong. You're trying to recreate a 2d level in a 3d environment? Sounds cool right? Except you're doing straight 2d level that has 3D enabled. Might as well just set this to 2D mode because I guarantee you that nobody wants to play in hallways. Try looking up the wiki or play Srb2 some more to get a good vibe as to what a 3D level is like.

Good idea. The first part of the level is in 2D. Other parts in 3D. Thanks for you suggestions.

Just because it's "not done yet" doesn't make it immune to criticism. This looks extremely ugly and quite linear, yet you're claiming to plan a full mod of this? Don't waste your time and make a single, quality stage and submit that instead, possibly to the OLDC, and get actual feedback.

You haven't even played it, or did you?, so, you dont know how is the level, with only screenshots you can't say the level is bad

Last edited:
You haven't even played it, or did you?, so, you dont know how is the level, with only screenshots you can't say the level is bad

*sigh*

I was just going to stay away from this, but this is what got me.

The screenshots look bad. Like, really bad. Like "even if this was a good level I don't want to play because it looks so bad" kind of bad. The textures look as if they were poorly cut out from S3&K screenshots and then pasted onto the level. The only part of the level we can see is a bland hallway.

"You didn't play it, so it might be good!" is a shit reason to defend (ha ha, "defend") someone from one hundred percent fair and legitimate criticism.

Last edited:
L1D2sg1.png

ThWWp3g.png

Here's arguably the best designed portion of GFZ2. You're free to go where you choose and given space to stretch (preventing the camera from getting stuck on things). Your AIZ looks like the starting portion of GFZ2, only without the springs to make it feel different. While the first level being linear is usually acceptable, you're trying to make a 3D version of a level that wasn't too linear. The screenshots don't make me feel like I'm playing something inspired by S3&K, it feels more like I'm playing one of the quickstep sections in Sonic Unleashed.

On a visual standpoint, I'm not sure what happened here. You're using the graphics from Sonic 3 and while that does usually turn out OK, the grass and dirt walls look like the same line of pixels being repeated over and over. Looking at it closely, it almost looks as though the walls are made up of multiple sectors. Lower the walls, fix the repeating lines, and change the grass to the one we have already (it wouldn't fit in that badly).

I'm not exactly sure what the Tails screenshots are meant to showcase. You flew up really high, but there isn't even another path up there. It's just empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back