Sonic 2 HD - Discontinued

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I know what I doing, 63% of the time....

If the next SRB2 release can't hold 4+ players in a netgame, you can all blame that 37% btw. (Technically even I don't know what he's doing at least 26% of the time.)

Well, if I was interested in this at all, which, to be honest, I wasn't, I'm sure not interested now. Why did they let him onto the team in the first place if he had a history of being completely friggin' insane?

All this project is good for at this point is the most epic drama comedy in quite a while. You couldn't do a worse job than LOst if you tried.

I for one vote that we refer to this as The Super Virus. :3

Jokes aside, I'm glad I was too lazy to download this.

No, for all of Sonic Team's failings, they haven't come anywhere close to this level of epic fail. Not only did LOst put in all sorts of protections to keep people from taking screenshots of a fangame, now it turns out that he put actually honest to god malware into the package. Those virus scanners were going off for all the right reasons, and it says a lot about the eternal optimism of the Sonic community that they ignored all the warning signs and went on regardless.

At least with official Sonic games by Sonic Team, all you end up with is disappointment if you buy into the hype. Sonic 2 HD was bundled with the same software used to steal credit card information, and in all likelihood LOst actually broke the law here.

Last edited:
This is the most spectacular train wreck I have seen in a long time. Wow. I can only imagine LOst as some kind of Bond villain now, twirling his moustache, stroking a cat and laughing as the havoc unfolds and reputations are tarnished everywhere.

I am in awe.

It was evil too! People ignored the warnings because apparently it was "safe". [...] I wonder why one of the devs would stick it in there. :/
It's probably not "evil". From what I've gathered, the game was programmed in a way that allows it to record the user's keyboard input outside of the S2HD window. This is presumably due to incompetence on LOst's part. It's highly unlikely that he actually did this with malicious intent. Problem is: The code is obfuscated because of the whole DRM/paranoia issue, so nobody can look through the code and confirm that the program isn't "phoning home" anything. So on the off chance that LOst is a hacker, you're better off not downloading it.

At least with official Sonic games by Sonic Team, all you end up with is disappointment if you buy into the hype. Sonic 2 HD was bundled with the same software used to steal credit card information, and in all likelihood LOst actually broke the law here.

Oh well. If that occurs, I know who to send my bank chasing after. :)

Is it just me, or does it seem kinda silly that everyone is blaming that LOst guy? At anytime the rest of the team could have said "Look, you've been gone for 3-4 months, or you haven't made enough progress, we're gonna have to kick you out". But they didn't they stuck through with him and now you have antiviruses ringing up a storm. It would've probably delayed this release even further, but it would come out on a lighter note.

Is it just me, or does it seem kinda silly that everyone is blaming that LOst guy? At anytime the rest of the team could have said "Look, you've been gone for 3-4 months, or you haven't made enough progress, we're gonna have to kick you out". But they didn't they stuck through with him and now you have antiviruses ringing up a storm. It would've probably delayed this release even further, but it would come out on a lighter note.

Given that LOst was the only one who actually worked on the engine, no, that would not have been practical.

[23:44] <SpiritCrusher> Depends on your definition on "false alarm"
[23:44] <SpiritCrusher> The game is definitely keylogging
[23:45] <SpiritCrusher> It's just not phoning home
[23:46] <SpiritCrusher> And to play devil's advocate: A team member stated that it was false alarm. If this were really malware, wouldn't you expect the team to cover it up?
[23:46] <MonsterIestyn> SC: So the whole team is in on the malware business?
[23:47] <MonsterIestyn> A team of lawbreakers!
[23:47] <Whackjood> LOst and his legion of HD Pirates

That said, I don't actually believe there is hacking involved. But there's no way for us to know one way or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back